Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭tigger123

Separate threads for film & TV
    Also watched Next Goal Wins, it's on US Netflix I think. Amazin g documentary that'll hit ya right in the feelers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I mentioned it in the What Have You Watched Recently thread but I'd recommend The Book of Life. Great animated film, set in Mexico, colourful and funny and great music. One of those you can stick on to keep the kids entertained and end up enjoying it yourself just as much.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I mentioned it in the What Have You Watched Recently thread but I'd recommend The Book of Life. Great animated film, set in Mexico, colourful and funny and great music. One of those you can stick on to keep the kids entertained and end up enjoying it yourself just as much.

I enjoyed it but found the music choices really jarring, wish they had embraced the folklore/traditional aspects more in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Can't see this on Moreflicks. What region is it?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I enjoyed it but found the music choices really jarring, wish they had embraced the folklore/traditional aspects more in that regard.

I thought the music was hilarious. I read a thing where the director said that Mexican bands often play their own versions of songs from other countries but I suppose the fact it's not set in modern times maybe they could have gone with more traditional songs. I loved it though.
    Synode wrote: »
    Can't see this on Moreflicks. What region is it?

That's weird because it's been up a while. It's definitely on Canada.

• Advertisement

Bloodline
    Sense8
    Daredevil
    Fargo
    Between

It feels like Netflix are getting to be on par with the likes of HBO with their original productions.

Bloodline is slow, but you watch it for the characters, for the way the story is told.

Coherence is fantastic and incredibly creepy, for such a small budget and limited story.

Is there any sci-fi TV shows across other countries that would be worth watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Bloodline
    Sense8
    Daredevil
    Fargo
    Between

It feels like Netflix are getting to be on par with the likes of HBO with their original productions.

Bloodline is slow, but you watch it for the characters, for the way the story is told.

Coherence is fantastic and incredibly creepy, for such a small budget and limited story.

Is there any sci-fi TV shows across other countries that would be worth watching?

Fargo is a FX show, although Orange is the new black and House of cards are very good too.

Watched Coherence too on a recommednation from here. Enjoyed it, though Xander was pretty bad in it. Also gave Creep (with Mark Duplass) a watch, thought it was pretty good too.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Fargo wasn't a Netflix production, they just bought the rights to screen it in certain places like they did with Breaking Bad I think.

My girlfriend watched Ascension lately, said it was a good show (Canada & US regions).

Oh! I always thought Fargo was Netflix. Is Ascension any good? What's the general premise?

Oh! I always thought Fargo was Netflix. Is Ascension any good? What's the general premise?

It's about a secret mission in the 1960's that sent a few hundred people into space to populate another planet, it's set in the present day aboard the ship 50 years into the mission I think. That's all I know about it. it's a mini series, so there's only 3 episodes.

• Advertisement

Are there any more upcoming new Netflix originals? I believe they've a few Marvel series currently in production.

Are there any more upcoming new Netflix originals? I believe they've a few Marvel series currently in production.

Yeah, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones & Luke Cage plus another season of Daredevil and a team up mini series called The Defenders.

Narcos is out very soon, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,614 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A full list of upcoming Netflix originals series, films and specials as well as all released ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_original_programs_distributed_by_Netflix

Quick glance at the Defenders and it seems an interesting choice for Netflix, given that the Hulk appears to be in it.

Narcos has been getting rave reviews, I believe, so that's been added to my list! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I thought Whiplash was on the US netflix. Went to watch it last night but it's not there. Did I get it wrong or is it gone already?
    (I use Apple TV so can only switch between Ireland and US - not other regions)

Mousewar wrote: »
    I thought Whiplash was on the US netflix. Went to watch it last night but it's not there. Did I get it wrong or is it gone already?
    (I use Apple TV so can only switch between Ireland and US - not other regions)

Canada only I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's about a secret mission in the 1960's that sent a few hundred people into space to populate another planet, it's set in the present day aboard the ship 50 years into the mission I think. That's all I know about it. it's a mini series, so there's only 3 episodes.

Ascension was a good idea in principal, but the production spent more time making the show look like Man Men in Space than assembling a particularly compelling set of characters or plot. As with a lot of ScyFy channel material, it felt half-baked. Worse, the first episode pretty much blows through all the good ideas it had so by episode 3 I had stopped giving a damn, which is possibly some kind of record for a TV series. I think ScyFy has already passed on bringing the concept to a full series too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Quick glance at the Defenders and it seems an interesting choice for Netflix, given that the Hulk appears to be in it.

!

The Defenders Mini series on Netflix will feature DareDevil, Luke Cage , Jessica Jones and Iron Fist.

Oh. So likely we won't be seeing the Defenders for between 2-5 years?

• Advertisement

If I had to guess I would say The Defenders will arrive in or around the time of The Avengers Infinity War ending Phase 3 of the MCU.

2018/2019 then. I was thinking that they would have also needed to have at least a season or two of each show individually before launching a team with all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

A full list of upcoming Netflix originals series, films and specials as well as all released ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_original_programs_distributed_by_Netflix

Didnt realize they had so many exclusive films. Any of those worth a look?

Ageyev wrote: »
    Didnt realize they had so many exclusive films. Any of those worth a look?

I haven't watched that many myself but I did enjoy The Battered Bastards of Baseball documentary about a baseball team set up by Kurt Russell's father.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Rififfi is a decent show for those who are struggling for something good to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Watched west of memphis last night, great doc in fairness shocking goings on altogether the entire case was a shambles from day one, i would advise watching the original doc first though i cant think what its called now though but im sure someone on here could let us know .9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Watched west of memphis last night, great doc in fairness shocking goings on altogether the entire case was a shambles from day one, i would advise watching the original doc first though i cant think what its called now though but im sure someone on here could let us know .9/10

Hey is that documentary the same story about the film that Reese Witherspoon was in called The Devil's knot, that was a hard film to watch.
    Is it about the Memphis Three.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭deisedude

Fysh wrote: »
    I watched "The Guest" last night, and...wow. I can't believe so many people seemed to genuinely think it was amazing when it came out. I mean, it was fun in a "beer & pizza" sort of way but had a bloody awful script, though I suspect some of the badness was on purpose. It did at least avoid being Kung Fury for 90 minutes, chiefly because script aside the two younger actors tried their best with what they were given. The highlightfor me was the use of a Perturbator song in the soundtrack, which probably says it all.

For my money, You're Next was better as it had more effort put into the script.

Watched half of this last night (it was a school night after all!) and despite it being like a bad b movie at times I'm still transfixed by it!

I just watched a short documentary called Fishtail. It's about a cattle ranch in the Fishtail Basin in Montana. It pretty much just follows the two cowboys that run the ranch over the space of a couple of days, at most, during calving season.

It's a weird one because there's no real narrative structure, it literally just follows them working. They don't even talk to the camera themselves (the cowboys) or explain what they're doing or why. There's no narration or talking heads. Henry Dean Stanton occasionally reads poetry or something over the top of a few scenes. Nothing really happens other than day to day farm work but at the same time it's still kind of an interesting watch. Although I've always been interested in wide open spaces and the kind of landscapes on show here, so maybe others wouldn't find it interesting. One part of me liked how they shot it, another part of me thinks it would probably make a really interesting documentary if it was made in the traditional style of documentaries and over a longer period of time.

Also, if you're a guy there are one or two scenes you may find a bit painful to watch ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

fin12 wrote: »
    Hey is that documentary the same story about the film that Reese Witherspoon was in called The Devil's knot, that was a hard film to watch.
    Is it about the Memphis Three.

Yea, west of memphis is about trying to get the 3 boys freed after 18 yrs in prison and who the real killer might be, if you know anything about the case then its a must see

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement