Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Separate threads for film & TV
    shamrock55 wrote: »
    Yea, west of memphis is about trying to get the 3 boys freed after 18 yrs in prison and who the real killer might be, if you know anything about the case then its a must see

ok thanks, Ya I only heard about that case when I saw the film Devil's knot.:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

fin12 wrote: »
    ok thanks, Ya I only heard about that case when I saw the film Devil's knot.:):)

I think paradise lost was the name of the first doc, maybe you should watch that first

• Registered Users Posts: 60,614 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Behind the Candelabra was added to Netflix Belgium.

As this is a HBO film guessing it's a co-production with someone else for the reason Netflix can air it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Behind the Candelabra was added to Netflix Belgium.

As this is a HBO film guessing it's a co-production with someone else for the reason Netflix can air it.

Great film.

Never got as wide a release as it should have

You can blame the American film industry for that. They tried to get backing, but nobody wanted to touch what was essentially a LGBT movie, despite having some great names attached to it. It only got a release on HBO, but a theatrical release outside of America.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

behind the candleabra is very good. micky douglas is brilliant in it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Anyone ever have an issue with Netflix playing at double speed? It is happening me tonight on the PS4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Was fine an hour ago on my Wii U.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Anyone ever have an issue with Netflix playing at double speed? It is happening me tonight on the PS4.

Are you sure you don't have one of the trigger buttons on the DS4 hitting off something or other?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Happens to me with Sky go a lot when I'm not careful putting controller down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

nocoverart wrote: »
    Are you sure you don't have one of the trigger buttons on the DS4 hitting off something or other?

It might have been. It's working now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

tigger123 wrote: »
    Watched Coherence on the Irish Netflix and I'd highly recommend it. It's low budget sci fi and the less ya know about it the better. Mind bending stuff.

Just watched it tonight, great recommendation!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,614 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gotham season 1 will be added on Sunday on Netflix Ireland.

Gotham season 1 will be added on Sunday on Netflix Ireland.

i heard that wasnt great, unless someone else thinks otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Roquentin wrote:
    i heard that wasnt great, unless someone else thinks otherwise.

Lost interest halfway through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I just watched a short documentary called Fishtail. It's about a cattle ranch in the Fishtail Basin in Montana. It pretty much just follows the two cowboys that run the ranch over the space of a couple of days, at most, during calving season.

It's a weird one because there's no real narrative structure, it literally just follows them working. They don't even talk to the camera themselves (the cowboys) or explain what they're doing or why. There's no narration or talking heads. Henry Dean Stanton occasionally reads poetry or something over the top of a few scenes. Nothing really happens other than day to day farm work but at the same time it's still kind of an interesting watch. Although I've always been interested in wide open spaces and the kind of landscapes on show here, so maybe others wouldn't find it interesting. One part of me liked how they shot it, another part of me thinks it would probably make a really interesting documentary if it was made in the traditional style of documentaries and over a longer period of time.

Also, if you're a guy there are one or two scenes you may find a bit painful to watch ;)

I like the look of that! Cheers.

sweetie wrote: »
    Lost interest halfway through.

what was wrong with it?

Gotham.. it could have been fantastic, but a lot of it was over-the-top and pantomime acting. Very strange choice for the Penguin. Will Smith's wife is one of the worst things about it - Fish Mooney is like a cartoon as opposed to anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Could anyone reccomend a new series for me ?

I've just finished the following.
    Orange is the new black
    Homeland
    Blacklist
    Suits
    Friday Night Lights
    House of Cards
    Breaking Bad

Any help is appreciated :)

emmetkenny wrote: »

Orange is the new black
    Homeland
    Blacklist
    Suits
    Friday Night Lights
    House of Cards
    Breaking Bad

Quirke I think is really good, and its short only like 6 episodes. oh and Big school season 1 thought that was pretty funny. David Walliams is in it and Catherine Tate. oh ya have to add Peaky Blinders and Spartucus.

• Advertisement

Daredevil
    Sense8
    Bloodlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Orange is the new black
    Homeland
    Blacklist
    Suits
    Friday Night Lights
    House of Cards
    Breaking Bad

"Rectify", on Flix Canada, 2 full seasons and new episode every Friday. Fantastic show made by The Sundance Channel. "Fargo" tv series is excellent to.

Hey guys has anyone watched The Trip on netflix, its a tv show, Steve Coogan is in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Seconded Rectify but it's quite miserable. Man gets freed from prison 20 years after having been convicted of murder and struggles to fit in with his family and the small town community.

Person of Interest is worth a look if you like action/cop procedurals. Miles better than Blacklist imo.

Terriers is on USA region. Two wise cracking small time private investigators uncover a planning corruption conspiracy. Good fun.

Awake also on USA is Jason Issacs as a detective living a dual life - one day he wakes up and his son is dead and wife is alive, another day he wakes up and his wife is dead and hiss son is alive. Living in these two realities allows him to solve his cases.

If you liked OItNb you might like Rita - Danish drama/comedy about a woman who works as a school teacher.

Orphan Black is a sci-fi conspiracy drama about a woman who discovers she is one of a number of clones. The same actress plays several different characters.

Danish The Killing is also great.

Better Call Saul is ok.

Happy Valley is about an English cop who tracks down the man who killed her daughter.

Luther is another decent cop show.

Weeds is supposed to be similar premise as Breaking Bad but I've not seen it.

Others on my own "to watch" list are: Top of the Lake, Broadchurch, Jack Taylor, Wentworth, Bletchley Circle, Southcliffe, Dicte, The Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Daredevil
    Sense8
    Bloodlines.

Saw the three of those.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys,will give them a blast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

fin12 wrote: »
    Hey guys has anyone watched The Trip on netflix, its a tv show, Steve Coogan is in it.
    It's brilliant. I haven't watched the second season the first season was so good I don't want to be disappointed.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Watched west of memphis last night, great doc in fairness shocking goings on altogether the entire case was a shambles from day one, i would advise watching the original doc first though i cant think what its called now though but im sure someone on here could let us know .9/10

I actually think
    they are guilty and that they caught the real killers
    because after I watched the devils knot, I looked into the case a bit more after because in the film
    you are left to think that it was the step father that was the killer
    it was very one sided the film. Im going to watch that paradise lost documentary so long though its over 2 hours
    and then the documentary on netflix. what do you think, do you think they were innocent or guilty?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Ageyev wrote: »
    Happy Valley is about an English cop who tracks down the man who killed her daughter.

Not exactly what it's about but it's a brilliant show, highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Not exactly what it's about but it's a brilliant show, highly recommend it.

Yeah sorry, been a while since I watched it and have watched loads in between.

From the Netflix blurb: "Yorkshire police sergeant Catherine Cawood pursues the man who assaulted her late daughter, unaware he is now part of a secret kidnapping plot."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Orange is the new black
    Homeland
    Blacklist
    Suits
    Friday Night Lights
    House of Cards
    Breaking Bad

+100 for Fargo. It's excellent. Really looking forward to the 2nd Series

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement