Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

The World's End is now on Netflix Ireland, I just finished watching it there for the first time. It was pretty good, some genuine lol moments and it's fun spotting the little easter eggs for Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz but on its own, it's not nearly as good as those two despite Martin Freeman and Paddy Considine being part of the main cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Separate threads for film & TV
    The World's End is now on Netflix Ireland, I just finished watching it there for the first time. It was pretty good, some genuine lol moments and it's fun spotting the little easter eggs for Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz but on its own, it's not nearly as good as those two despite Martin Freeman and Paddy Considine being part of the main cast.

Watched it last night as well but was too late/tired to post up a review. I would have said virtually your first sentence word for word - spooky! (You cloning me or am I cloning you!) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Wexicanfan

20 feet from stardom is a great documentary

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

"The Fixer". (2008-2009)

2309808.jpg

John Mercer is an ex.special forces soldier who is jailed for the killing of his aunt and uncle in retaliation for their abuse of his sister. However, he's offered early release if joins part of an officially sanctioned hit team that mete out justice to criminals beyond the reach of the British legal system.

Despite the unlikely scenario, the casting and acting are good, and the characters likeable. Everything here - action, humour, romance and tragedy. Sadly, the show was cancelled after the second series, but perchance it is not dead, but sleepeth....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Just looking through my viewing activity and saw that it took me well over two months to get through prison Break (although I pretty much snoozed through the third season).

Great show overall, although completely OTT , haven't seen the first two seasons in years so was good to be able to catch up with it again on Netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I just watched a short documentary called Fishtail. It's about a cattle ranch in the Fishtail Basin in Montana. It pretty much just follows the two cowboys that run the ranch over the space of a couple of days, at most, during calving season.

It's a weird one because there's no real narrative structure, it literally just follows them working. They don't even talk to the camera themselves (the cowboys) or explain what they're doing or why. There's no narration or talking heads. Henry Dean Stanton occasionally reads poetry or something over the top of a few scenes. Nothing really happens other than day to day farm work but at the same time it's still kind of an interesting watch. Although I've always been interested in wide open spaces and the kind of landscapes on show here, so maybe others wouldn't find it interesting. One part of me liked how they shot it, another part of me thinks it would probably make a really interesting documentary if it was made in the traditional style of documentaries and over a longer period of time.

Also, if you're a guy there are one or two scenes you may find a bit painful to watch ;)

Well, watched this last night and with ten minutes to go, I was SO hoping it was a series. very enjoyable easy watch. Nothing much happens but that's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ageyev wrote: »
    Seconded Rectify but it's quite miserable. Man gets freed from prison 20 years after having been convicted of murder and struggles to fit in with his family and the small town community.

Person of Interest is worth a look if you like action/cop procedurals. Miles better than Blacklist imo.

Terriers is on USA region. Two wise cracking small time private investigators uncover a planning corruption conspiracy. Good fun.

Awake also on USA is Jason Issacs as a detective living a dual life - one day he wakes up and his son is dead and wife is alive, another day he wakes up and his wife is dead and hiss son is alive. Living in these two realities allows him to solve his cases.

If you liked OItNb you might like Rita - Danish drama/comedy about a woman who works as a school teacher.

Orphan Black is a sci-fi conspiracy drama about a woman who discovers she is one of a number of clones. The same actress plays several different characters.

Danish The Killing is also great.

Better Call Saul is ok.

Happy Valley is about an English cop who tracks down the man who killed her daughter.

Luther is another decent cop show.

Weeds is supposed to be similar premise as Breaking Bad but I've not seen it.

Others on my own "to watch" list are: Top of the Lake, Broadchurch, Jack Taylor, Wentworth, Bletchley Circle, Southcliffe, Dicte, The Bridge.

Is Rita only available in Danish ? Couldn't seem to find an English version.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

At the risk of stating the obvious, it's not in English because it's a Danish show :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Is Rita only available in Danish ? Couldn't seem to find an English version.

Yes, Danish audio only with English subtitles. I think there might be a USA remake in the works. Netflix produced the latest third series.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The X-Files looks brilliant in HD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Just started watching Daredevil, omg the main actor is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The X-Files looks brilliant in HD.

It's not available in HD (720p/1080p). X-files like a lot of TV shos of the time had its visual effects and post-production finished in what is basically standard definition. The final series finished before HD broadcasts were a thing back when we used CRT TVs.

(Unless you're talking about either of the films :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 60,616 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ageyev wrote: »
    It's not available in HD (720p/1080p). X-files like a lot of TV shos of the time had its visual effects and post-production finished in what is basically standard definition. The final series finished before HD broadcasts were a thing back when we used CRT TVs.

(Unless you're talking about either of the films :o )

Netflix begins streaming The X-Files in HD
    Streaming on Netflix in the US now: HD versions of the first 13 episodes of the greatest TV show of all time. You know, The X-Files.

The baker's dozen is appropriate for the '90s paranoia-fest, which stars David Duchovny as Agent Fox Mulder and Gillian Anderson as Agent Dana Scully, the two detectives attached to the titular files — which concerned all things paranormal. Though it originally aired in 4:3, the HD version suggests it was shot in widescreen and cropped for broadcast. Scully's furrowed brow and Mulder's pouty lower lip never looked better.

The first two seasons of The X-Files were extremely low-budget; many of the special effects were essentially strobe lights and tarp. But the special effects were never the point — when you know you have to create scares on a bare-bones budget, you write tension into the script. Early episodes like "Ice" work precisely because of the financial constraints placed on the show.

It's not clear why only the first 13 episodes are being offered in HD, but I'll take what I can get. Just look at how amazing Scully's skeptical face is in the pilot:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/23/8486441/netflix-begins-streaming-the-x-files-in-hd

fin12 wrote: »
    Just started watching Daredevil, omg the main actor is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure if it's on Netflix, but you should check out Stardust.

I'm not sure if it's on Netflix, but you should check out Stardust.

Why? is that a film or a series? by the way your username is really funny.:):D

fin12 wrote: »
    Why? is that a film or a series? by the way your username is really funny.:):D

Haha, thanks. It's a movie.. A sort of dark fairy tale, but with the same lead that's in Daredevil.

Haha, thanks. It's a movie.. A sort of dark fairy tale, but with the same lead that's in Daredevil.

oh thanks il check it out, god I've loads to watch, my list is huge on netflix hahaha:):)

Just checked and it's not on the Irish Netflix, sorry! Still worth tracking down.

Just checked and it's not on the Irish Netflix, sorry! Still worth tracking down.

ok thanks:):)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He's in Boardwalk Empire too, great series.

• Advertisement

Nice one. I was viewing from Canada where it's still SD, HD is only for USA.

Great excuse to give the first series a rewatch :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Would it be too much to ask for two separate threads for Netflix?

I think it started out in the beginning that we had the Netflix film and the Netflix TV recommendation thread, but now I come on here looking for films and its all tv talk.

This is not a dig at anyone, Its just a query for the mods.

Charlie19 wrote: »

I think it started out in the beginning that we had the Netflix film and the Netflix TV recommendation thread, but now I come on here looking for films and its all tv talk.

It does vary tbh. Sometimes there is film/documentary talk, somedays it is TV series talk. You can't that escape Netflix do both TV series style titles and film titles with an emphasis on the former WRT "original programming" in the main. There are also different regions with different films and obviously different TV shows available.

And fwiw, for better or worse TV show style productions have been copying film style production for the past 10-15years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Charlie19 wrote: »

No need for a second thread for TV when there is a whole forum dedicated to it. Which is where these TV show posts should. Leave this thread for the movie recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Just watched the pilot for Wet Hot Summer Vacation pretty funny considering I wasn't a big fan of the original.

The cast all look no older than they did 14 years earlier when the movie was first released except maybe for Michael Showalter who seems to have gotten wider as opposed to older.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Harry66

My Life as a Dog Netflix Brazil.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Two decent movies that are worth a watch.

The Vanishing. 1993
    A science teacher (Geoff Bridges) is planning to abduct a woman and is going through numerous scenarios in an effort to perfect his abduction. He then comes across an easy target at a petrol station, where he bumps into Diane (Sandra Bullock). Diane got separated from her boyfriend (kiefer Sutherland) which gave Jeff his opportunity.

The Cry of the Owl. 2009
    This was a strange one and I was nearly going to give up on it, but it turned out to be very good. Its about a guy who is in the middle of a divorce and going through a spout of depression. He starts a new job in a small town were he meets a woman (Julia Stiles) in a very unorthodox manner.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The Skeleton Twins is on US Netflix.

Bill Hader and Kristin Wiig play brother and sister who haven't spoken in 10 years. Just as she's contemplating downing a handful of pills she gets a call from a hospital to tell her her brother has tried to kill himself. She flies out to see him and ends up bringing him home to stay with her and her husband while he recovers.

Wiig and Hader are great here, their chemistry is great, presumably from their SNL days although it's mostly pretty serious here although there is one amazing scene involving Starship's Nothings Gonna Stop Us Now.

Whoa! Daredevil is really good, glad I started watching it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,616 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix already have a partnership with Disney already making Marvel series so maybe this could happen.

‘Star Wars': Netflix Planning 3 Live-Action Series?
    Cinelinx is reporting that the current idea is for Disney to partner with Netflix once more and develop three different live-action Star Wars shows, exclusively for the streaming service. For Lucasfilm, this would make a great deal of sense, since they allegedly wish to preserve the cinematic qualities of the films in any television programs that get produced. That’s nothing against the production values of a network show, but given certain examples like House of Cards, Bloodline, and, yes, even Marco Polo, creating a television counterpart to Star Wars might be a feat easier to achieve on Netflix than on ABC.

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-netflix-live-action-series/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement