Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Separate threads for film & TV
    spellbound , a documentary where smarts kids in america's are put through mental torture in a televised national spelling competition has been added to irish netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

tigger123 wrote: »
    Watched Coherence on the Irish Netflix and I'd highly recommend it. It's low budget sci fi and the less ya know about it the better. Mind bending stuff.

I watched it last week and thought it was terrible. One of the worst films I've seen in years - and I swear that is not hyperbole. Just nothing of redeeming value at all, and I love Sci-Fi and naturalistic acting usually.
    Also watched Next Goal Wins, it's on US Netflix I think. Amazin g documentary that'll hit ya right in the feelers.

Whereas that I cannot recommend enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭doc_17

Is there a list available anywhere, other than what is presented when you access Netflix, that has the films currently available on Netflix without having to use the search option?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

peteeeed wrote: »
    spellbound , a documentary where smarts kids in america's are put through mental torture in a televised national spelling competition has been added to irish netflix

Might watch it for this description alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Check out Lone Star with Chris Copper, Elizabeth Pena and Matthew McConaughey if your into 90 Noire style movies. Criminally underrated when it was first released.

And yes must watch Pacific Heights again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Just watched a documentary called Lost Soul about the making of The Island of Dr Moreau.

Fascinating insight into how a movie production falls apart. Far better than Lost in La Mancha in the sense that there's a much more interesting story to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Just watched a documentary called Lost Soul about the making of The Island of Dr Moreau.

Fascinating insight into how a movie production falls apart. Far better than Lost in La Mancha in the sense that there's a much more interesting story to tell.

Watched this the other night!
    Really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Check out Michael Keaton in 'pacific heights' if you're looking for another good one. Nicole Kidman and Sam Neil in 'dead calm' is excellent too.

What regions are those on?

I used flixsearch.com but found nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Charlie19 wrote: »
    What regions are those on?

I used flixsearch.com but found nothing.

Sorry, I don't know if they're on Netflix, I was just recalling them from memory

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭trashcan

Just watched "A Most Wanted Man" with Philip Seymour Hoffman, directed by Anton Corbijn. From a John le Carre novel. Well worth a watch. Possibly the last film PSH made, as it was only made last year. Not sure of that though. His performance was very good as usual.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I don't know if they're on Netflix, I was just recalling them from memory

No problem.. I was just looking for something to watch earlier and I thought of Pacific heights because I haven't watched it in years.

I'll have a proper look over the weekend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

trashcan wrote: »
    Just watched "A Most Wanted Man" with Philip Seymour Hoffman, directed by Anton Corbijn. From a John le Carre novel. Well worth a watch. Possibly the last film PSH made, as it was only made last year. Not sure of that though. His performance was very good as usual.

I loved this. Hoffman is great as a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders.

God's Pocket on Canada netflix is good too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

doc_17 wrote: »
    Is there a list available anywhere, other than what is presented when you access Netflix, that has the films currently available on Netflix without having to use the search option?

No but I think you kight be able to browse all titles by genre on the browser version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Yeah your best bet is picking a genre and sorting A-Z or by year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

trashcan wrote: »

Enjoyed that too, lots of good performances and a non sensationalist look at the issues involved in state security.

Whispers in the Dark. 1992

This is another one for the fan of the Murder mystery genre and kept me guessing right up till the end. Stars: John Leguizamo (Carlitos way), Annabella Sciorra (Sopranos) and Alan Alda (MASH
    ).

A psychiatrist thats treating a patient who suffers from a neurotic tendencies unknowingly becomes involved with the lover of this patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Whispers in the Dark. 1992

This is another one for the fan of the Murder mystery genre and kept me guessing right up till the end. Stars: John Leguizamo (Carlitos way), Annabella Sciorra (Sopranos) and Alan Alda (MASH
    ).

A psychiatrist thats treating a patient who suffers from a neurotic tendencies unknowingly becomes involved with the lover of this patient.

I put that on my list there.

About to watch "Mr. Brooks" this will be my 3rd serial killer movie of the week. I'm getting great tips from these movie :L

The other two were switchback and the vanishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭tigger123

Watched the first episode of The Fuzz and I really enjoyed it. It's The Wire meets ... The Muppets (?)

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I put that on my list there.

About to watch "Mr. Brooks" this will be my 3rd serial killer movie of the week. I'm getting great tips from these movie :L

The other two were switchback and the vanishing.

Mr. Brooks isn't bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

fin12 wrote: »
    Im going to watch that paradise lost documentary so long though its over 2 hours

Paradise Lost has 3 parts not just one film and all 3 are well over 2 hours!

All 3 together will come in around 7.5 hours.

Still prob the first docs that come to mind to recommend to people who don't watch docs that much.

They are incredible. As soon as you watch one you will probably want to find someone else who has seen them so you can talk about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭tigger123

tinpib wrote: »

Still prob the first docs that come to mind to recommend to people who don't watch docs that much.

They are incredible. As soon as you watch one you will probably want to find someone else who has seen them so you can talk about it.

Are the three of them on Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

tinpib wrote: »

I know this might be a stupid question but do you know why they made the doc so long? I've only watched some of the first part, maybe Im finding it quite long because I believe they were guilty and Im not sure but is this documentary trying to get across that they are innocent?

Are the three of them on Netflix?

no I dont think they are on netflix someone just recomended that you watch these before you watch the doc about the memphis three on netflix, they are on youtube. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

I know this might be a stupid question but do you know why they made the doc so long? I've only watched some of the first part, maybe Im finding it quite long because I believe they were guilty and Im not sure but is this documentary trying to get across that they are innocent?

No idea, I can only speculate.

I didn't find it long at all, I was glued to it.

It seems to me it is so long as they had so much relevant footage and they felt they couldn't trim it down.

Also the docs take place over many years. So you have the original trial time in the early 90s, the aftermath a few years later and then the conclusion from a few years back.

It's 2.5 hours a pop covering a large time frame for each one.

edit: watch all 3 and then decide on their guilt/innocence :)

Watching the Fuzz. It's like Southland/the Wire meets Sesame Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

They made the first documentary about the trial. Then about 10 years or so later they shot more footage to make the second documentary about what had happened since and how there was a movement to prove their innocence (also focusing on a possible 'real killer'). The third one again was years later. All catching up with what had gone on in the time since the second documentary.

Another documentary West of Memphis was made a couple of years ago that covers the whole time period from their arrest to the most recent developments. I think thats about 2.5/3 hours. But that's covering a lot of time and information.

West of Memphis is on Netflix but the Paradise Lost docs aren't.

Hrududu wrote: »
    They made the first documentary about the trial. Then about 10 years or so later they shot more footage to make the second documentary about what had happened since and how there was a movement to prove their innocence (also focusing on a possible 'real killer'). The third one again was years later. All catching up with what had gone on in the time since the second documentary.

Another documentary West of Memphis was made a couple of years ago that covers the whole time period from their arrest to the most recent developments. I think thats about 2.5/3 hours. But that's covering a lot of time and information.

West of Memphis is on Netflix but the Paradise Lost docs aren't.

Ok Thanks :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Bates motel after 1 episode seems good. Weird how Norman has an iPhone when as an adult in American psycho it was like in the 90s..but let's just go with the flow :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Think you're confusing your Psychos there. :pac:

*unless that's the joke

• Advertisement

Seven Psychopaths (2012)

A writer gets caught up in a cross country chase after kidnapping a gang boss's dog. Hilarious comedy starring Christopher Walken, Sam Rockwell and Colin Farell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement