Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Kind of feel that €10 is more than enough to get the likes of Wet Hot American Summer, Daredevil, and Bloodlines, Sense8, and that's their original productions.

Tbh I think I only watch Daredevil, and Bloodlines, Sense8 because I had already paid for it and felt like trying to squeeze value out by watching them. If I was following those on TV or downloading them I probably wouldn't have finished them. OITNB and House of Cards are the only originals which I would rewatch or recommend to non-Netflix subscribers.

More lower budget films and more obscure things )eg. Coherence) recommended from the likes of this thread are what will keep me subscribing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I still have the original price, 5 screens and they all get great use.

Got the email also, ok until May 16

I originally got it to watch last season of Breaking Bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Yeah, the basic subscription means you can have two people log into it at the same time and watch at the same time on different machines. There's a more expensive one if you want 4 people at the same time. I gave my parents the log in details to my account and they watch it whenever.

Actually I just looked up to see what the options were if you change plan, and now my current option for 7.99 a month is to only watch 1 screen at a time in SD, not HD like currently. I wonder if Netflix are also switching me to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Separate threads for film & TV
    Yeah May '16 is going to be a big date for me. Sky are undoubtedly going to up their premiums. Netflix are also going up. In matters of Sport over TV/Films I always choose sport. So, it's really going to depend on how much pain Sky decide they're going to inflict for overpaying for the EPL.

I'd say come next August, I might only have one of those or none. :(

Actually I just looked up to see what the options were if you change plan, and now my current option for 7.99 a month is to only watch 1 screen at a time in SD, not HD like currently. I wonder if Netflix are also switching me to this?

Well I spoke to their chat (pretty sure it's a bot) and they say I will still be able to watch on two screens, although I'm still a bit suspicious. Kept a transcript of the chat.
    Turtwig wrote: »
    Yeah May '16 is going to be a big date for me. Sky are undoubtedly going to up their premiums. Netflix are also going up. In matters of Sport over TV/Films I always choose sport. So, it's really going to depend on how much pain Sky decide they're going to inflict for overpaying for the EPL.

I'd say come next August, I might only have one of those or none. :(

Dump Sky, every time. Invest in another method of watching EPL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭trashcan

Soon as I finish watching Archer I'm out. Not enough quality choice for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

That's a huge increase percentage wise. I didn't get the email as I'm registered under an old email I don't use anymore but I'm sure I'm in the same boat.

From €6.99 to €10 is roughly a 40% rise. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

adox wrote: »
    That's a huge increase percentage wise. I didn't get the email as I'm registered under an old email I don't use anymore but I'm sure I'm in the same boat.

I have the €6.99 plan 2 screen + HD which they guaranteed for 2 years until Feb 16, I haven't received any email on price increase as yet,

Hopefully the change doesn't kick in until at least May 16 as per the posters above. Its a huge jump and i'm unsure if i would cut Netflix or upc tv.

Obviously this was coming and I partially blame HBO and the $15 they are charging in the US and apparently very successful for them. Showing Netflix that they can get more for their service.

I hope this brings our content more in-line with the likes of Canada and we are are offered a wider selection, however it will most likely be more of the same and just costing us more.

Is it likely Amazon would expand their operation to Ireland and offer prime here giving us access to Amazon Prime instant video ?

You'd be tempted to find a friend who also has the 2 screens plan, and just club up together and buy a 4 screen plan for 11.99. Or even find 2/3 friends who don't use a second screen at a time. It's entirely within the rules to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Considering I used to pay 50/60 euro for a single boxed set €9.99 is still good value in my opinion, especially as I "travel" a lot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If you were like me and were using a family members account until you decided you wanted your own and joined the bloody day it went up to €8.99 it's a small increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

I got the email too and it doesn't actually say what the price will increase to in 2016, or even that it will definitely increase. It's very wishful thinking that it might not increase, but I'd say there's a good chance of it not jumping all the way up to €9.99. I'm still on €6.99 a month and probably would cancel it if it went up by €3.

Ageyev wrote: »
    Tbh I think I only watch Daredevil, and Bloodlines, Sense8 because I had already paid for it and felt like trying to squeeze value out by watching them. If I was following those on TV or downloading them I probably wouldn't have finished them. OITNB and House of Cards are the only originals which I would rewatch or recommend to non-Netflix subscribers.

More lower budget films and more obscure things )eg. Coherence) recommended from the likes of this thread are what will keep me subscribing.

Considering that Netflix have really only started making their own original shows in the past few years, I firmly believe that their content can rival the likes of HBO. Especially Daredevil and Bloodlines. Couldn't get into OITNB - thought it was terrible and gave up after a few episodes.

Considering that Netflix have really only started making their own original shows in the past few years, I firmly believe that their content can rival the likes of HBO. Especially Daredevil and Bloodlines. Couldn't get into OITNB - thought it was terrible and gave up after a few episodes.

Yeah I really hope they can stand up to HBO in the long run. In terms of "office water cooler discussion" I'd say OITNB might be up there with GoT maybe? I dunno if Bloodlines and DD broke through like HOC and OITNB did.

Daredevil definitely did, I think. Bloodlines, maybe not. It should have though.

Bloodlines would've been better as a shorter four episode mini-series like Olive Kitteridge. Daredevildefinitely has its fans. It was OK but not memorable for me but this stuff is subjective obviously. ...

Just watched the first episode the series "Run". Seems quite good if you're into that grim, depressed, Shane Meadows-esque portrayal of English life (like I am)

Just watched the first episode the series "Run". Seems quite good if you're into that grim, depressed, Shane Meadows-esque portrayal of English life (like I am)

Run is fantastic. I've got one episode left. Fantastic acting! Once that's finished, check out Residue. It's only 3 episodes long, but great.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

The U.S Office is leaving the 4th of September. Pity, a show you could dip in and out of whenever probably a big loss to Netflix if it doesn't get renewed.

uk.newonnetflix.info/lastchance

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I've been watching a French show on Channel 4 called Witnesses and after 4 episodes I've realised it's on Netflix, USA and Canada.

It's about police in France and they're investigating a string of creepy murders where recently buried bodies are being dug up and left posed in show homes. It's a bit like The Killing or The Bridge in that the main character is a flawed but brilliant female who juggles her home life with her work life. The case they're investigating is somehow linked to a retired officer who just happened to be Sandra's training officer 8 years previously when Sandra mysteriously quit and left. I wouldn't say it's as good as The Bridge or even BBC's Happy Valley, which was also brilliant and is also on Netflix if you haven't seen it, but it's still pretty decent. The area it's set makes France look like the least inviting place on earth and there's a really creepy atmosphere hanging over everything. I think it's only 6 episodes so not too much of a commitment. I have only seen 4 (or maybe 5?) episodes so it's possible it all falls apart right at the end but so far it's pretty good.

• Advertisement

The U.S Office is leaving the 4th of September. Pity, a show you could dip in and out of whenever probably a big loss to Netflix if it doesn't get renewed.

uk.newonnetflix.info/lastchance

From all regions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Comming up at the end of the month you have Narcos.

Here's the trailer, it looks damn good, sort of a cross between 'Blow' and 'Clear and present danger'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

conorhal wrote: »
    Comming up at the end of the month you have Narcos.

Here's the trailer, it looks damn good, sort of a cross between 'Blow' and 'Clear and present danger'.

I was about to come on here and start giving out about an email I got from Netflix saying that their price is rising but f*ck that - this looks Excellent!

I have no problem with Netflix's price rise, they are quickly turning into one of the best original producers of content out there, their TV shows have been excellent and the feature films they have bought all look excellent. I think I'd be happy to pay 10-12 euro a month for what they offer and considering that at those prices you can share an account it's even better value. For about the price of two pints you're getting thousands of hours of ad free content.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Yeah it's a steal tbh. I'd only baulk if it went past 15 a month tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,616 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Everyone needs to find the value for money that suits them best.

The way I look at the Netflix price is that even at $€£10. is that price works out to 2.50 a week less that the price of a pint and less than renting on movie from Xtra Vision or going to see a film in the cinema.

The content is getting better and better and as Netflix acquire more rights these rights are becoming global.

For me I would rather give my money to Netflix than Sky.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I just wish they'd start investing more in their film catalogue. If they took even 5-10% of the money they're investing in original shows and expensive deals with Disney and the like, they could have an absolutely incredible, rich selection of classic and world cinema. If anything, they've become notably worse in that respect.

As it stands, I feel Mubi - who have a rolling selection of 30 films, with one added and removed every day - tend to have a much more diverse and dynamic film selection despite a fraction of the userbase, and indeed a tiny fraction of the quantity.

The problem with the film rights is that they're competing against Sky in this part of the world.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The problem with the film rights is that they're competing against Sky in this part of the world.

They're not, though - at least not the sorts of films I'm talking about :)

Put it this way: at the moment on Mubi, you have films from the likes of Murnau, Kurosawa, Varda, Resnais, Godard, Eisenstein, Wenders etc... - all key, well-known figures in cinema history. Even allowing for multi-region shenanigans, you'd be hard-pressed to find these directors well represented, or in several cases even represented at all, on Netflix. In Ireland, and I'm not sure there's even a single film available from any of them. And its fair to say Sky aren't actively chasing down those rights either ;)

Now I know it's not as easy as just throwing money at a distributor and everything's dandy - film rights, especially international ones, are complex, and the physical Blu-Ray market is important for many niche distributors. And I'm fully aware that sadly one Marvel film is probably considered a more lucrative investment for them than 100 world cinema classics. But given the sheer size of Netflix, and their finances, I still reckon they're missing a beat by having huge swathes of cinema history underrepresented at best. Without Artificial Eye putting up a lot of their new releases, there'd be barely any international fare on Netflix Ireland at all!

To pick out the most startling comparison: Hulu's relationship with Criterion means they have one of the most astounding, diverse and fascinating selection of classic film - from hard-to-find oddities to significant chunks of the historical cinema 'canon'. For cinema fans in the US (and here, depending on their commitment levels), that $8 would be a much sounder monthly investment than Netflix. We're definitely lacking something like that over here, and Mubi for its stark limitations is a better fit than Netflix even with the stark discrepancies in their size.

• Advertisement

Ah, I get what you're saying, I took a look at Mubi after I posted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement