Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I'd warn though that it's definitely for more niche tastes that directly want the exact kind of stuff (5 hour Filipino dramas anyone?) that Netflix doesn't offer. I have both and it's nice to have the two sides of the coin readily available.

Recently watched Mouchette for instance on Mubi. Amazing film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭tigger123

Separate threads for film & TV
    Another thread reminded me of it, by Frances Ha is a fantastic film, it's on Netflix and well worth a watch. I started watching it not wanting to like it but it really is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Faults is on the USA region. Mary Elizabeth Winstead plays a woman estranged from her parents who fear she has been brainwashed by a cult. The parents hire loser deprogrammer and cult rescuer Leland Orser to save Winstead.

Really good low-budget film with some thriller elements, drama and a bit of dark humour.

Netflix saves us from watching 130 hours a year - that alone is worth the extra money they'll soon be charging.

http://exstreamist.com/netflix-saves-us-from-over-130-hours-of-commercials-a-year/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

the new trailer for narcos looks savage. hopefully, hopefully it will be a cracker. has the plot to be anyhow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,616 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The first reviews I read today about Narcos are really good.

Edit; Variety link added.

Full review in link.
    Functioning as a history lesson as well as a compelling drama, “Narcos” has a “Goodfellas” vibe, inasmuch as it offers a heavily narrated, first-person account of the rise of drug kingpin Pablo Escobar, and the DEA’s attempts to thwart him. Detailing cocaine’s rise as a Colombian cash crop and its rapid spread into the U.S. in the late 1980s, the sparely told project weaves together a taut, gripping narrative, in stark contrast with the flatness of its characters and color scheme. All told, this Gaumont production is the kind of binge-worthy TV addiction that Netflix was born to import.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/reviews/narcos-review-pablo-escobar-drama-netflix-1201570440/

There's also the Netflix produced movie with Idris Elba, that looks promising.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Excellent: anime studio Studio 4C's work is being released on Netflix internationally ahead of the launch of Netflix in Japan. That includes the dizzyingly weird and imaginative Mind Game which has been quite hard to find. Definitely one of the more offbeat and interesting anime producers.

http://studio4c.co.jp/topics/en/post/20150818.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

the hobbit battle of the 5 armies is now on irish netflix

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

peteeeed wrote: »
    the hobbit battle of the 5 armies is now on irish netflix

Lol, fuk that movie

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Apparently on the US Netflix Star Trek TNG has been updated to the remastered HD versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Captain Philips added to Netflix Netherlands and Mr Turner added to Netflix Canada. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Lol, fuk that movie

I couldn't make it past the early kitchen scene in the first Hobbit film where they drink beer and eat cheese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Just watched the first episode the series "Run". Seems quite good if you're into that grim, depressed, Shane Meadows-esque portrayal of English life (like I am)

Thought this was very good...bleak, but really engrossing and you really care for all the characters, warts and all. Richard's (Lennie James) story is particularly good. Eastenders for grown-ups?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Sleeping with the Enemy on Netflix Ireland. I think its a really good film. me and my sister have a joke me always roar LAURA LAURA when we are talking about that film, its so funny but the film is serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Watched coherence last night, its a brilliant idea for a film but it just didnt reach its potential for me, they could have done so much more with it and had a much better storyline, just as i was begining to understand what was going on it started to pitter out and the next thing its over, the camera work annoyed the hell out of me aswell i hate that handheld camera look 5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

So hypothetically speaking, What would you do? if You stumbled upon 4 Million quid while out with your stupid brother and his mate.

A Simple Plan. 1998

Three men recover millions from the wreckage of a small airplane in a remote area and then plot what to do with the cash. Stars Billy Bob Thornton, Bill Paxton and Bridget Fonda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Finally up to season 9. This made another mediocre episode worth it:

To Kill A Mockingbird added to Netflix Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

To Kill A Mockingbird added to Netflix Ireland.
    Definitely time for a re-watch... if just for Gregory Peck's performance. Incredible!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's All Gone Pete Tong (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388139/)

Very enjoyable dark comedy, on Irish Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Big Hero 6 up on Netflix Australia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just started watching ''Scott & Bailey" on Netflix Canada.

It's no ''The Wire'' but still quite a decent BBC cop drama. I'd never actually heard of it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Just started watching ''Scott & Bailey" on Netflix Canada.

It's no ''The Wire'' but still quite a decent BBC cop drama. I'd never actually heard of it before.

Not that it makes a blind bit of difference but its an ITV cop drama.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Not that it makes a blind bit of difference but its an ITV cop drama.

That's odd, a BBC logo comes up before each episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Tabnabs wrote: »
    It's All Gone Pete Tong (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388139/)

Very enjoyable dark comedy, on Irish Netflix.

Yes. I absolutely love that movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

That's odd, a BBC logo comes up before each episode.

Not sure why, perhaps they license shows abroad maybe? Think I've seen similar with an itv show that has BBC at the start too, but can't for life of me think what it was.

Scott & Bailey is shown on the BBC Canada channel that's probably why the BBC logo comes up on Netflix Canada.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Scott & Bailey is a bit of a mixed bag. First series was really good. Second, I think, was okay. Third wasn't great but it picked itself up again in the 4th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

The Bicycle Thieves (1948) is a very touching film, recommend it even if (like me) you don't ordinarily watch films of that vintage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement