Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Just watched a couple of docs - the farm - about angola state prison, if you think your having a bad day watch this it will make things seem a whole lot better.
    also watched maidentrip about a 14 yr old girl who sailed around the world for 2 yrs on her own which when you think about it must be one the bravest things anyone could do, both good watches tbf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

first episode of narcos was very good. worth watching. hopefully it can sustain itself for the next 9 epsiodes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Separate threads for film & TV
    Hunger Games: Mockinjay (part 1)

Oooo I haven't seen it. Heard it's poor but I want to see how it compares with the book.
    Monsters University

This didn't get great reviews and emotion wise it's not up there with Pixar's best but as a college campus comedy with monsters I really enjoyed it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Two episodes in to Narcos, very high quality produced show, on the level of HBO shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Hunger Games: Mockinjay (part 1)

I couldn't believe how bad this movie was. The first one was quite good and the second was watchable. But this one was a huge drop in quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I couldn't believe how bad this movie was. The first one was quite good and the second was watchable. But this one was a huge drop in quality.

The third book was terrible as well, the movie is pretty faithful to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭romperstomper

Roquentin wrote: »
    first episode of narcos was very good. worth watching. hopefully it can sustain itself for the next 9 epsiodes

really good, very enjoyable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Going to see Rogue Nation next week so decided to use Netflix to catch up on the MI movies. Of course I get to the third one and realize it isn't on there, had to pay to watch it elsewhere. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

e_e wrote: »
    Going to see Rogue Nation next week so decided to use Netflix to catch up on the MI movies. Of course I get to the third one and realize it isn't on there, had to pay to watch it elsewhere. :rolleyes:

It's on other regions, Australia being one - though the other three aren't on Australia...

Funny enough I'm just going to watch it myself. Been moving through Philip Seymour Hoffman films the past while. Great actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

1 episode into Narcos and it's great do far. I look forward to watching more this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Does anyone know if Netflix plan on adding season 2 of peaky blinders?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Netflix plan on adding season 2 of peaky blinders?

I don't know but its on USA Netflix.

Narcos is seriously good tv - best ive seen in a long time tbh ive just watched first 2 episodes so far though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Netflix not renewing their deal with epix so some big films going next month. Think they are a distributor for lions gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,616 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That's only on the US Netflix.

Hulu is taking over with Epix.

Amazon already have a deal in place with Epix as well.

Expect a lot of this moving from streaming site to another as they get more competitive with each other when contract are coming close to an end as they try to out bid each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Just watched the first episode of Narcos, very impressed. Looking forward to watching the rest of the series.

Watched a doc called "the bridge" last night about suicides on the golden gate bridge, they set up a camera for 12 mths on the bridge in 2004 i think it was, some pretty shocking footage and real ife stories behind them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Not sure of the 'narration' element of Narcos...2 episodes in and I am finding it ott and a bit annoying. Difficult balance to get right when you tell a story this way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The way some people are going on about Narcos you'd think scientists have managed to merge aspects of The Wire, Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad to create a new ''super series''.

If it was as good as some people are saying, then I would have watched more than 2 episodes by now.

I do like it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The way some people are going on about Narcos you'd think scientists have managed to merge aspects of The Wire, Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad to create a new ''super series''.

thats mr.robot :)

• Advertisement

If it was as good as some people are saying, then I would have watched more than 2 episodes by now.

I do like it though.

Plata O Plomo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I do like it though.

To be fair, The Wire was a verrrrry slow starter too!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The first 5 or 6 episodes took me longer to get through than the entire 4 and a half seasons after them from what I remember. Same with BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

The Wire's start is slow, but only becaue it takes it's time introducing it's characters and the world they inhabit, Narco chooses to set all that up with narration instead of characterisation.
    TBH they're trying to cram too much in. I'm only 5 episodes in and it feels as if the've ploughed through about two seasons worth of plot already.
    Narcos would only feel like the wire if Simons had tried to do, cops, gangsters, the political establisnment, the educational system and the media ALL in the one season.

The series is glossy and entertaining but it feels more like a good docu-drama then a dramatic series. It's cluttered with whole chunks plot of plot that are delivered either through narration or news footage acting as information dumps to keep the audience in the loop, thus breaking the golden rule of cinema, 'show it don't tell it'.

conorhal wrote: »
    TBH they're trying to cram too much in. I'm only 5 episodes in and it feels as if the've ploughed through about two seasons worth of plot already.
    Narcos would only feel like the wire if Simons had tried to do, cops, gangsters, the political establisnment, the educational system and the media ALL in the one season.
    The series is glossy and entertaining but it feels more like a docu-drama then a dramatic series. It's cluttered with whole chunks plot of plot that are delivered either through narration or news footage acting as information dumps to keep the audience in the loop.
    Characterisation is also almost non existant, with perhaps the exception of Escobar, so it's also hard to care what fate awaits most of the protagonists since we never really get to know any of them.

i thought alright it was very quick. it was like watching a film first episode. i wondered if they could sustain it over a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I do like it though.

so the frequency YOU watch narcos is a valid way to judge how the entire population of earth feels about it?

i think is great. annoying sometimes having to read subtitles as i find it hard to take in whats going on on screen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

The way some people are going on about Narcos you'd think scientists have managed to merge aspects of The Wire, The West Wing, Game of Thrones Lost and Breaking Bad to create a new ''super series''.

FYP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I do like it though.

People in difference of opinion shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Watched a doc called "the bridge" last night about suicides on the golden gate bridge, they set up a camera for 12 mths on the bridge in 2004 i think it was, some pretty shocking footage and real ife stories behind them

Ya I watched that as well, found it tough to watch. I just think its so sad people are walking up and down that bridge, and cars passing by and all the while there's a person or person's thinking about ending their lives and then eventually doing it, its very sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭via4

Run is on Netflix now I saw it on channel four a few months ago it ran over four nites it's four people's stories that run into each others it is very good would recommend it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement