Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Separate threads for film & TV
    Netflix takes gamble with Epix film cull - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34110968

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I really couldn't care less about the Netflix deal ending and lots of movies being removed. I hardly ever used the service for movies because the selection was never really strong anyway and I watch the popular movies as soon as they come out through other means. Netflix, to me, has now become a TV series service. They're really on form and hitting their stride with their originals now, I cannot wait to see what their shows graduate to over the next few years because even the ones they're releasing right now are premium television.

I would be seriously disappointed if their TV catalogue took a hit like the movies, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

berverly hills cop 1 & 2 , cloverfield , jay and silent bob strike back, days of thunder added to irish netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

flazio wrote: »
    Netflix takes gamble with Epix film cull - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34110968

Is it just America the deal with Epix ends? Will it affect any of the other regions i.e Ireland/UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,616 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is it just America the deal with Epix ends? Will it affect any of the other regions i.e Ireland/UK?

It's just the US Netflix and they will be replacing it a deal with Disney.

The Disney will include Lucas Film, Marvel and Pixar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

flazio wrote: »

Interesting take the BBC take on it with their headline, others seem to look at it in a more positive view, saying it allows them invest in either more original programming and movies, or exclusive deals such as the Disney one, as the Epix content is also on other providers.

It's just the US Netflix and they will be replacing it a deal with Disney.

The Disney will include Lucas Film, Marvel and Pixar.

Again it might work out for them in the end. If you think about it most of the movies you watch from Epix your only ever going to watch once over before maybe coming back to months later again. Especially considering the deal with Epix was just under 1 bn to stream those movies for just under a year they are as well to invest there money in more original content and upcoming movies release from the likes of Disney and Marvel.

Again it might work out for them in the end. If you think about it most of the movies you watch from Epix your only ever going to watch once over before maybe coming back to months later again. Especially considering the deal with Epix was just under 1 bn to stream those movies for just under a year they are as well to invest there money in more original content and upcoming movies release from the likes of Disney and Marvel.

There is going to be a streaming war over the next few years between Netflix, Hulu & Amazon so I think this will become more common losing and gaining exclusive deals.

You can already see in America that Networks are less likely to sell Netflix, Hulu & Amazon there back catalogues of series and movies because they want viewers to sign up and watch them on there own sites.

The whole cutting the cord movement in America and the growth of Netflix has shown these huge film and tv corporations the money that can be made from streaming.

Netflix will say they saw this coming and is part of the reason they started making there own originals series and now films and why they paid billions to tie Disney down to a multi years deal.

Interesting times ahead in the world of streaming entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Alt J

Probably said a million times but Narcos, so good :)

Selma and Wild and Interstellar are being released this month in Canada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭What are those?

started that new series Narcos the other night -top drawer so far,reminds me of breaking bad in a sense so far w/ cartels ,smuggling,drugs,violence and manipulation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

There's a large cull of the US library on the way as a deal with distributor ends at the end of September - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34110968

Ireland Netflix still has several thousand fewer titles than the USA one but there's pretty much no other equivalent streaming service available in Ireland afaik - unless Amazon is idk?

I sub to Netflix for the catalogue not their originals or exclusives (some of which are fine) but I think I may be in the minority

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Ageyev wrote: »
    There's a large cull of the US library on the way as a deal with distributor ends at the end of September - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34110968

Ireland Netflix still has several thousand fewer titles than the USA one but there's pretty much no other equivalent streaming service available in Ireland afaik - unless Amazon is idk?

I sub to Netflix for the catalogue not their originals or exclusives (some of which are fine) but I think I may be in the minority

I've always found the Netflix catalog lacking when it came to movies, and even with frequent trips to other countries, they are a little better, but not much.
    Its the TV shows, documentaries etc where I find the value, and I think they're definitely setting a pretty high bar with their own productions. I pay 80 a month for sky, and 6.99 for netflix, and the sky is getting the bullet at the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Alt J wrote: »
    Probably said a million times but Narcos, so good :)

A million times better than True Detective Season 2. At least in Narcos I knew what the hell was going on!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I know it's not a Netflix issue but don't want to go into the dedicated True Detective thread, is season 2 worth continuing with ? I've watched 2 or 3 episodes so far but it's not grabbing me and I'm hearing mixed reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I know it's not a Netflix issue but don't want to go into the dedicated True Detective thread, is season 2 worth continuing with ? I've watched 2 or 3 episodes so far but it's not grabbing me and I'm hearing mixed reviews.

Ya I think you should continue watching, might aswell. I really liked season 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Faith+1 wrote: »
    A million times better than True Detective Season 2. At least in Narcos I knew what the hell was going on!:pac:

4 episodes in and while it is very watchable I find the characters (particularly the police and DEA, including the lead) very one dimensional, often cliched and frankly, boringly written. I understand it is based on real events but there isn't really an excuse for it.
    I'll keep watching but I'm not watching a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Lawrence of Arabia added to Flix US

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Happyman42 wrote: »
    4 episodes in and while it is very watchable I find the characters (particularly the police and DEA, including the lead) very one dimensional, often cliched and frankly, boringly written. I understand it is based on real events but there isn't really an excuse for it.
    I'll keep watching but I'm not watching a classic.

Watchable these days is good enough for me with the amount of sh*te on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Faith+1 wrote: »

that was one of my severe criticisms of TD2. whilst i thought it was good, i didnt have a clue what was happening

• Advertisement

Netflix Japan is live now.

A first for any Netflix region all four Indiana Jones movies are on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

There were only three Indiana Jones movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭iniall

Mousewar wrote: »

Guess again.

Ye I never rated Temple of Doom either :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

whats the story with languages? do they have japanese subtitles?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Raiders
    Temple of Doom
    LAST Crusade

And then they stopped making them, realising they had created a wonderful trilogy and that everyone was already rich enough and there was no need to soil the entire thing with some appalling revisit that would probably include aliens or some muck like that.

whats the story with languages? do they have japanese subtitles?

The Japanese series/films/anime that I have checked out so far only have Japanese sub titles.

Started watching the Indy films last night and they are in all in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭iniall

Raiders
    Temple of Doom
    LAST Crusade

And then they stopped making them, realising they had created a wonderful trilogy and that everyone was already rich enough and there was no need to soil the entire thing with some appalling revisit that would probably include aliens or some muck like that.

Stating it won't make it true (unfortunately).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Niska

2001 is available in Japan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Lion is gorgeous in Narcos, on to the second episode now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement