Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Watched The Search for General Tso today, all about the history of Chinese food in America and the mysterious origin of General Tso's Chicken. Not the most groundbreaking or life-changing doc but it's a pretty interesting watch and doesn't outstay its welcome at 70 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I've one episode of Narcos left. Enjoyable enough show, better than Sense8 and on par with Bloodlines but not as compelling as OITNB or the first two series of House of Cards. Wagner Moura is really good in it.
    I've watched the first 4 episodes of Narcos. i wont spoil anything, but its very rare that a show has me running for wikipedia / history resources to see if that stuff actually happened.

There are a few documentaries about Escobar on Netflix. Gonna give a few a look when I'm done.
    fin12 wrote: »
    Actually does anyone notice I think there is a girl in it that was in True detective as well, she wants an american visa, I'm pretty sure its her, she's very pretty, she was the girlfriend of one of the cops in True detective.

For some reason Im watching Narcos late at night and I keep falling asleep and You have to watch it because it has subtitles so I have to go back over the episode the next day and its just to do to with me being tired not the show, the show is very good.

Yeah this always happens me with subtitled stuff. I kinda drift off but reading subtitles seems to require more attention than listening to dialogue, for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Ageyev wrote: »
    I've one episode of Narcos left. Enjoyable enough show, better than Sense8 and on par with Bloodlines but not as compelling as OITNB or the first two series of House of Cards. Wagner Moura is really good in it.

There are a few documentaries about Escobar on Netflix. Gonna give a few a look when I'm done.

Yeah this always happens me with subtitled stuff. I kinda drift off but reading subtitles seems to require more attention than listening to dialogue, for me anyway.

I couldn't disagree more to be honest - it's light years ahead of Orange is the New Black in terms of compellability. Wouldn't compare them beyond that as they're completely different shows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

I couldn't disagree more to be honest - it's light years ahead of Orange is the New Black in terms of compellability. Wouldn't compare them beyond that as they're completely different shows.

i agree. narcos is one of the best on netflix. reminds me of goodfellas

I was just thinking in broad terms of comparing some of the Netflix original shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭trashcan

Just watched second series of Line of Duty. Had watched the first series when broadcast on BBC but missed the second. Very good. Well worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Roquentin wrote: »
    i agree. narcos is one of the best on netflix. reminds me of goodfellas

Great call, the style and tone of the voiceover is exactly like goodfellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Separate threads for film & TV
    I'm also hooked on Narcos..... I started it 2 nights ago and I'm nearly finished.... Reckon I will watch the last few tonight :)

It's quite violent, not something I would usually go for, but I can't stay away from it! Breaking Bad was the last drama series where I could watch this many episodes in succession

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

monsters university & toy story added to irish netflix , more pixar on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 60,616 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Interstellar added to Netflix Canada

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Intersteller was a bit of a let down for me, although it didnt help that a poster ruined the ending of it for me on here. I think I will give it another go as Nolan is usually up there with the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Just finished watching Narcos, really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Suicide Kings 1997

For anyone that hasn't seen this, its a must.

Its a quirky black comedy about a few posh friends that decide on kidnapping a well respected gang boss.

Stars.. Christopher Walken, Denis Leary and Howard from The Big Bang Theory(He was very good in this and I couldn't believe his age).

Casablanca added to Netflix Netherlands.

The Day of the Jackal(1973) & The French Connection added to Netflix Belgium.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Casablanca added to Netflix Netherlands.

Great, serious lack of Bogie classics on da Flix! Would be great if Big Sleep etc were added to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

for anyone finished narcos the documentary made on his son is a really good watch... sins of my father , its on Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Great, serious lack of Bogie classics on da Flix! Would be great if Big Sleep etc were added to.

Doubt its on Netflix but In a Lonely Place is a great Bogie movie, probably one of his best if your a fan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Weekly_Top_40

I thought Narcos was the best show Netflix have done since season one of House Of Cards. Very well put together.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

I thought Narcos was the best show Netflix have done since season one of House Of Cards. Very well put together.

bloodline is good too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Thought Escobar's Mum looked like Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Mezcita wrote: »
    Thought Escobar's Mum looked like Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie.

She's the bulb of Jennifer McGuire from rte when she does the '80's wife' routine
    bernard-and-jennifer-III-620x434.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Just heading into series 3 of Person of Interest. Impressed with the first two series but the first few episodes of the latest series have me thinking it's going to be disappointing. Am I right, and should I give up now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Just heading into series 3 of Person of Interest. Impressed with the first two series but the first few episodes of the latest series have me thinking it's going to be disappointing. Am I right, and should I give up now?

No, it's a great show, really enjoyed all the series bar a couple of episodes (maybe the ones you've watched recently). It gets very good anyway and well worth sticking with it.

Series 3 builds to an explosive climax (think of those X-Files series finale cliffhangers where you wonder how they could come back from something) . Its pace seriously picks up in S3. S4 is due on Netflix on Sept 22 so I would say stick with it. The game changes in S4 but does settle back into numbers-of-the-week after a blistering final few S3 epsodes.

There were moments in S3 that gave me goosebumps

Only Fools and Horses season 1 & 2 added to Netflix Ireland

Only Fools and Horses season 1 & 2 added to Netflix Ireland

lovely jubbly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Also on the Escobar theme, there's a brilliant 30 for 30 documentary about the link between Pablo Escobar and the murder of Colombian footballer Andres Escobar.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 added to irish netflix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

trashcan wrote: »
    Just watched second series of Line of Duty. Had watched the first series when broadcast on BBC but missed the second. Very good. Well worth watching.

A few episodes into the second series...enjoying it a lot. Nice one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ageyev wrote: »
    Series 3 builds to an explosive climax (think of those X-Files series finale cliffhangers where you wonder how they could come back from something) . Its pace seriously picks up in S3. S4 is due on Netflix on Sept 22 so I would say stick with it. The game changes in S4 but does settle back into numbers-of-the-week after a blistering final few S3 epsodes.

There were moments in S3 that gave me goosebumps

Irish Netflixs ? Oh you have made my day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement