Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Meanwhile, outside the Pale, in Enniscorthy the top two DVD retailers now are Cash Encounters (Cash for Gold) and the Chernobyl Children's charity shop. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭warpdrive

€10/month = €2.50/week. Most people probably buy tea or coffee for more than that multiple times a week.

If they suddenly increased it by a large amount to >€15 I'd understand but these price increases each year or so result in better movie selections but since Netflix are planning to almost double the amount of their originals in 2016 it's understandable that the price is increasing too. Basically the only legitimate complaint we have, really, is that we're paying the same, if not more, as other regions that have far superior movie selections than us and now we're being prevented from accessing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Separate threads for film & TV
    You can buy A DVD for less than €10, but you're not going to get 100's of DVD's for less than €10. It really depends on what you watch and how much you watch. If you're even watching 4 films a month, it's still good value. If you go weeks without watching anything then maybe you should cancel it.

It's the uncertainty I'm going on about, the fact that the new price of 9 euro is only fixed for 6 months......

Why can't they guarantee the 9 euro price for a year?

I'm just worried that they are going to start putting up the price every year.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

karaokeman wrote: »
    Isn't the one on Henry Street still open?

I meant here as in specifically where I am. And anyway you're still not getting more than one DVD a month for less that a tenner, which was the original point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Final part of Mad Men coming on Friday to America.

Hopefully my passport is still working by then. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Depends on where you shop. Since HMV closed down, and didn't reopen here, there's a piss poor Golden Discs and that's it.

I suppose I'm lucky in Wexford - we've a big gamestop, CEX and tesco which between them must have a selection much bigger than Netflix. That said, there's also Amazon, ebay and adverts.ie to consider.

BTW I watched Spring last night, wasn't bad but wouldn't really recommend it for Horror fans. Not much of an atmosphere to it.

I suppose I'm lucky in Wexford - we've a big gamestop, CEX and tesco which between them must have a selection much bigger than Netflix. That said, there's also Amazon, ebay and adverts.ie to consider.

True, but unless they're giving stock away for free you're still not getting access to that selection for less than a tenner a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

True, but unless they're giving stock away for free you're still not getting access to that selection for less than a tenner a month.

Depends on how many films you watch a month - if you're watching 5 or 6 and you're flexible about what you watch - Netflix is the better choice. If you watch 1/2 films a month and you want to watch specific films when you do so - I don't think Netflix offers great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

to be honest, I wouldn't pay a subscription if it was just 1-2 films a month. I usually watch between 5 and 10 films every month (that's in Irish Netflix only, I don't venture elsewhere), some more if the month in Mubi (where I also subscribe) doesn't have much interest.
    For me the great value is the documentaries, some of them can easily go below the radar and quite a few of them deserve a viewing.
    Plus their original series, some hidden gems and a handful of gay themed films that would be in my interest.
    I don't think it is as good for mainstream films, too much competition I guess. Still a tenner a month is not too bad if you use it.

It's probably been recommended a million times in this thread and I've seen it all before but I've been rewatching Friday Night Lights (TV) lately and it's just so bloody good. It's been a while since I watched any of it and I'm happy to see it holds up. I'd happily put it up there as my favourite TV show of all time, OF ALL TIME!

If you're one of the few people who have never watched it I urge you to drop everything and get to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,390 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It's probably been recommended a million times in this thread and I've seen it all before but I've been rewatching Friday Night Lights (TV) lately and it's just so bloody good. It's been a while since I watched any of it and I'm happy to see it holds up. I'd happily put it up there as my favourite TV show of all time, OF ALL TIME!

If you're one of the few people who have never watched it I urge you to drop everything and get to it.

Watched the first three series.

Whilst I find it easy watching (sports, gorgeous women etc) - I have to say I find it to be load of oul fluff.

One or two steps removed from One Tree Hill.

But, I know I am in the minority here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

noodler wrote: »

Whilst I find it easy watching (sports, gorgeous women etc) - I have to say I find it to be load of oul fluff.

Well I agree with you, so there's definitely two of us. Though I didn't give it as much time as you did, I only bothered with first season and a half. Its not for me at all but my wife is a big fan and watched the lot.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I only watched season 1. It was likeable enough and Kyle Chandler is always good but didn't grab me enough to want to watch any more of it.

noodler wrote: »

Well I agree with you, so there's definitely two of us. Though I didn't give it as much time as you did, I only bothered with first season and a half. Its not for me at all but my wife is a big fan and watched the lot.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    I only watched season 1. It was likeable enough and Kyle Chandler is always good but didn't grab me enough to want to watch any more of it.

:eek:

I have reported all these posts and expect lifetime bans will be issued.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

spring_final_350.jpg

The plot of Before Sunrise is rehashed in this interesting genre hybrid, even if the chemistry between leads Lou Taylor Pucci and Nadia Hilker never quite matches that of Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy in Richard Linklater's seminal romance. Superb practical effects are interspersed with slightly less convincing CGI, and sensible trimming could have reduced the bulky 109 minutes to a more sprightly experience. Far more thoughtful than the average monster movie, fans of horror will probably love it.

I watched this the other night and really liked it; amongst other things it actually had a theme that it explores quite well, as well as some nice use of score and several very nice flourishes in terms of how particular shots were framed. It probably could have been a bit shorter, but equally I did think that given the theme and the protagonist's state of mind, the length helped put the viewer into his head.

It's not really a horror film, so much as a character-based film about love, mortality and what it means to know that you'll die someday. But then I think it's much better that way than it would be as some second-rate "Zomg my new GF has tentacles!" nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Just watched A New Leaf after hearing the lads over at Filmspotting review it. Dark and delightful romantic comedy from 1971.

Flame & Citron (2008) US Netflix

If you like WW.II. resistance movies you should enjoy this. 10/10.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭warpdrive

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Flame & Citron (2008) US Netflix

If you like WW.II. resistance movies you should enjoy this. 10/10.

It's on Irish Netflix as well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Tyke Elephant outlaw, horrible how elephants are treated in captivity by humans who are the scum of the earth.... Another animal who should not be in captivity along with dolphins, killer whales, polar bears. Please never go on an elephant ride, or circuses, elephants are tied up for 22 hours a day and beaten...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭tigger123

'The Best Offer' on Canadian Netflix - highly recommended :-)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1924396/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Made by the same guy that made Cinema Pardiso (... it's in English)

• Advertisement

Just finished the very last episode of "Foyle's War" last night. An excellent series but it does flag a bit in the post War seasons. The unexpected outcome in the final episode kind of rules out a second comeback for the series. :(

10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Watched Nebraska last night. Low key but I thought it was daycent. Quite funny at times. Worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

fits wrote: »
    Watched Nebraska last night. Low key but I thought it was daycent. Quite funny at times. Worth checking out.

Loved that film. Its one that will stay with you for a while even though its very understated.

Just to bring this up again, I'm about half way through S2 on my rewatch and it is actually quite bad. I know I've watched S1 a lot of times in bits and pieces and I have a fairly good memory of S3-5 but I couldn't remember S2 and now I know it's because I must have blocked it out of my memory. It is quite soapy and they lost an awful lot of what made S1 perfect TV. I know they got it back again for the other seasons but yeah, S2 is not great. I'm FF-ing through quite a bit of it. I can see why some people may not have stuck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Watching the BBC/HBO Rome series. Saw it when it first came out but it merits a second viewing. Really splendid work. Terribly violent but then so was Ancient Rome. Its history is sound enough as well that one can feel somewhat educated watching it but aside from that it's great television. Ciaran Hinds is immense as Caesar.

Mousewar wrote: »
    Watching the BBC/HBO Rome series. Saw it when it first came out but it merits a second viewing. Really splendid work. Terribly violent but then so was Ancient Rome. Its history is sound enough as well that one can feel somewhat educated watching it but aside from that it's great television. Ciaran Hinds is immense as Caesar.

What Netflix is it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

What Netflix is it on?
    Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

99 Homes on Netflix Switzerland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Someone put up a link before which showed you what was coming up on Netflix Ireland. Does anyone have it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Seasons 1-8 of Big Bang theory come to Irish Netflix Feb 15th

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement