Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I've always enjoyed House of Cards. Not amazingly intelligent but enjoyable enough to watch I think. I'll be watching season 4 for sure.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Separate threads for film & TV
    I watched Smashed on UK Netflix recently and quite enjoyed it - Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Aaron Paul are a young married couple who are both alcoholics whose marriage is strained when Kate decides that it's time to quit drinking. It manages to avoid being preachy, has a strong central performance from Winstead and manages some very funny moments without making light of the subject.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,265 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Fysh wrote: »
    I watched Smashed on UK Netflix recently and quite enjoyed it - Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Aaron Paul are a young married couple who are both alcoholics whose marriage is strained when Kate decides that it's time to quit drinking. It manages to avoid being preachy, has a strong central performance from Winstead and manages some very funny moments without making light of the subject.

Watched that a few years ago and its pretty good yeah, genuine laugh out loud at a certain unexpected line from Nick Offerman's character.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

India's Daughter, very upsetting documentary. As I woman makes me so angry and unbelievable how backward some countries Still are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

So anybody else have their passport revoked recently?:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Rjd2 wrote: »
    So anybody else have their passport revoked recently?:(

Yep 2 weeks ago it was a heartbreaking experience for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Me too. I didn't use it as much as some but it was great while it lasted

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,265 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched Dope on the US site last night, well worth a look. Pretty funny with a great soundtrack and a very good central performance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There is a thread about Netflix region blocking here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057549557

Please keep this thread for recommendations. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Watched Dope on the US site last night, well worth a look. Pretty funny with a great soundtrack and a very good central performance.

yeah its excellent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

The Voices
    Ryan Reynolds, Anna Kendrick, and that good looking one from Clash of the Titans whose name escapes me.

Took a punt on it when I was browsing through Netflix and was very pleasantly surprised. It's effectively a dark comedy but that's deceptive and in actual fact it is quite a decent depiction of severe mental illness. The comedy aspect probably caused this side of the film to be overlooked or dismissed but really it's actually a film of some substance. Bit gruesome in parts but nothing too severe. Not a masterpiece but would definitely recommend. On the Irish netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Mousewar wrote: »
    The Voices
    Ryan Reynolds, Anna Kendrick, and that good looking one from Clash of the Titans whose name escapes me.

Took a punt on it when I was browsing through Netflix and was very pleasantly surprised. It's effectively a dark comedy but that's deceptive and in actual fact it is quite a decent depiction of severe mental illness. The comedy aspect probably caused this side of the film to be overlooked or dismissed but really it's actually a film of some substance. Bit gruesome in parts but nothing too severe. Not a masterpiece but would definitely recommend. On the Irish netflix.

The trailer for this was very misleading , looked like an almost out and out comedy, i think it's a stretch calling it a dark comedy. I just found it very very dark. Not a bad movie just not what i expected when i went to the cinema to see it

Deadly Women true crime series. If you like Forensic Files, should watch this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Anyone here sub Mubi.com? I'm thinking of switching to it and dropping Netflix. Seems to have much less filler and they announce well ahead of time when films are added and removed.

fdV3gGM.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Does Mubi only show 30 movies a day?

Not much of an alternative to Netflix if so

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah, Mubi is great if you're interested in a broader spectrum of cinema. Even just looking at any day's selection of 30 films, you'll get a better insight into some of the great auteurs of world and classic cinema that you do on Netflix - right now for example you have Varda, Capra, Cassavetes, Griffith, von Stroheim, Vidor etc... alongside a host of contemporary directors, both obscure and well known.

The only thing I'd say is there was a few months there when the selection became a bit more mainstream than usual. They must have agreed a new deal with a studio or something. There was still plenty of obscurities and foreign fare too, of course, and I can see how it'd help attract more subscribers. But yeah as someone who prefers the 'curated' approach of Mubi it meant a less interesting few months than usual.

One film is added and removed every day. So basically it's 365 films a year. By and large they wisely aim for a quality over quantity approach. It aims for a different audience and approach rather than trying to compete directly with Netflix.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Synode wrote: »

Not much of an alternative to Netflix if so

My understanding of it is they add one and remove one every day so it's like a constantly revolving buffet with limited choice. I don't think they do TV at all either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I don't think they do TV at all either.

Apart from Mrs. Brown's Boys they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Apart from Mrs. Brown's Boys they don't.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

flaked , new netflix made comedy staring will arnett added to all regions today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

peteeeed wrote: »
    flaked , new netflix made comedy staring will arnett added to all regions today

Taken a bit of a hammering in a few reviews I've read, think people are reaching dramedy saturation point. I'll give it a go anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

I start watching Flaked, after only seeing it mention here, It wasn't promoted on Netflix main page which I always see as a sign Netflix are burying it. I last barley ten minutes. It seems a very L.A. show. I be honest I haven't been impressed with Netflix out put. The new "comedy" with Ashton Kutcher looks awful. As I said a lot of the their own shows just has the L.A vibe, Frankie and Grace, Bojack etc. which I don't care for.

I start watching Flaked, after only seeing it mention here, It wasn't promoted on Netflix main page which I always see as a sign Netflix are burying it. I last barley ten minutes. It seems a very L.A. show. I be honest I haven't been impressed with Netflix out put. The new "comedy" with Ashton Kutcher looks awful. As I said a lot of the their own shows just has the L.A vibe, Frankie and Grace, Bojack etc. which I don't care for.

I think F is for family was very funny.

Woohoo Daredevil season 2 is on Netflix on the 18th of March, really liked the first season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

fin12 wrote: »
    Woohoo Daredevil season 2 is on Netflix on the 18th of March, really liked the first season.

Nice one - during midterm from college, so I don't have to feel guilty about bingeing on the whole series.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

fin12 wrote: »

I wish it were a day earlier, I hate Paddy's day and could do with something to do.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I wish it were a day earlier, I hate Paddy's day and could do with something to do.

I think it's a pretty crap day too and can't even drink either because work the next day...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Captain America Winter Solider now on UK Ireland Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Not much comment on House of Cards, Season 4....... Three episodes in, very impressed so far!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Personally I'm pretty disappointed with the recent Netflix Originals. F Is For Family is absolutely awful imo, I just couldn't tolerate the art style.

And as for Full House... Cac! It has one of those horrible laughing tracks which is badly badly overused.

*character says hello*
    *HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA*

House Of Cards however, I really enjoy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement