Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Separate threads for film & TV
    Niemoj wrote: »
    Personally I'm pretty disappointed with the recent Netflix Originals. F Is For Family is absolutely awful imo, I just couldn't tolerate the art style.

It was bound to happen, the more they put out the more chance of something not working.

I haven't even tried to watch the Full House thing but it seemed like a really odd choice for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

It was bound to happen, the more they put out the more chance of something not working.

I haven't even tried to watch the Full House thing but it seemed like a really odd choice for them.

I really dislike laughing tracks as a rule (the only exception I can think of is Sabrina & The Teenager Witch which I loved when I was younger) but Full House just takes the piss. American humour, very unfunny. Maybe people who watched the original will enjoy the nostalgia, who knows?

I'm looking forward to the new OITNB, Kimmy Schmidt and Sense8 coming out though Sense8 won't be until next year I think.

Also, Netflix Canada have episodes of The 100 which come out as soon as they air there which is good, the Irish Netflix only has the first series.

Also, Netflix Canada have episodes of The 100 which come out as soon as they air there which is good, the Irish Netflix only has the first series.

It was the main reason I keep hoping my passport doesn't get revoked, at least not for the next 2 to 3 months :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,265 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thought F is for Family was brilliant, really grew on me over the course of the 6 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Not much comment on House of Cards, Season 4....... Three episodes in, very impressed so far!

Five episodes in, finding it fairly disjointed myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I really dislike laughing tracks as a rule (the only exception I can think of is Sabrina & The Teenager Witch which I loved when I was younger) but Full House just takes the piss. American humour, very unfunny. Maybe people who watched the original will enjoy the nostalgia, who knows?

I'm looking forward to the new OITNB, Kimmy Schmidt and Sense8 coming out though Sense8 won't be until next year I think.

I couldn't find this, has it been removed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

FunLover18 wrote: »

It must have been I think, It's not there now anyway.

It was the main reason I keep hoping my passport doesn't get revoked, at least not for the next 2 to 3 months :D

I just travel to Québec to watch 'em!

Feckin' flights are costing me a fortune though!:pac:

Yeah it most have been.

If you're "in" Canada, they have all 3 of them right up to the most recent episode.

I think there are 2 left before it's over, due 1 Apr and 8 Apr.

Yeah it most have been.

If you're "in" Canada, they have all 3 of them right up to the most recent episode.

I think there are 2 left before it's over, due 1 Apr and 8 Apr.

There are 16 episodes for S3 and we've only had about 8, I think, maybe 9. There's definitely more than 2 left anyway.

• Advertisement

There are 16 episodes for S3 and we've only had about 8, I think, maybe 9. There's definitely more than 2 left anyway.

Oh right, my mistake then!

I'm happy to hear there's loads of episodes left.

Oh right, my mistake then!

I'm happy to hear there's loads of episodes left.

And it's just been renewed for a 4th season :D

steve_r wrote: »
    I see the TV show Comedy Bang! Bang! is coming to UK Netflix - in general does that mean it will be added to the Irish version soon?

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2016/mar/01/comedy-bang-bang-its-silly-it-spoofy-its-the-very-definition-of-a-hidden-gem

Funniest thing I've seen in ages. It's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Victoria has been added to USA netflix.

Basically a Madrid girl in Berlin meets 4 guys when clubbing and somehow she ends up getting involved in a (not really spoiler, but never can be too safe)
    robbery as she agrees to be a getaway driver as a local gangster demands one of the guys repays a debt he owes that actual night

Its really stylish and quite thrilling while also heartbreaking as well. Its also shot in a single take as well.

reviews
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/771419752/

It got 5 stars from the Guardian.
    http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/sep/10/victoria-review-one-shot-two-hours-total-triumph

Not keen on linking the trailer, yep the trailer is stylish as hell like the film, but on reflection, it reveals to much for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Watched a documentary called Back in Time which is about Back to the Future and how its legacy has endured.

One of the interesting aspects is how Director Zemeckis and Producer Spielberg collaborated on a family movie that involved the mother trying it on with her son and the difficulties they had in getting a studio to finance it.

Another nugget mentioned in the documentary was the discarded Spielberg idea where Marty McFly takes shelter from an atomic blast by hiding in a lead lined fridge. The idea was subsequently recycled by Spielberg in one of his later movies and became an 'iconic' scene much debated by fans ever since !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Wedwood wrote: »
    Watched a documentary called Back in Time which is about Back to the Future and how its legacy has endured.

One of the interesting aspects is how Director Zemeckis and Producer Spielberg collaborated on a family movie that involved the mother trying it on with her son and the difficulties they had in getting a studio to finance it.

Another nugget mentioned in the documentary was the discarded Spielberg idea where Marty McFly takes shelter from an atomic blast by hiding in a lead lined fridge. The idea was subsequently recycled by Spielberg in one of his later movies and became an 'iconic' scene much debated by fans ever since !!

I think you must have imagined this. No such movie exists.

I've had this documentary on my list for a while, this is the first time I've ever seen/heard anyone talk about it though.

I think you must have imagined this. No such movie exists.

I've had this documentary on my list for a while, this is the first time I've ever seen/heard anyone talk about it though.

Lead lined fridge in Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. Lucas claimed idea I think, but it definitely exists. Unless you refuse to recognise that film was ever made, which in that case you're probably a happier man than me and I salute you and you are indeed correct, it doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Lead lined fridge in Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. Lucas claimed idea I think, but it definitely exists. Unless you refuse to recognise that film was ever made, which in that case you're probably a happier man than me and I salute you and you are indeed correct, it doesn't exist.

Common misconception, doesn't exist. Let's nip that idea in the bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Wedwood wrote: »

Yep. Disney passed on BTTF because of the implied incest. It was only later that the line "OMG it feels like kissing my brother!" was added to solve that little problem. The DVD documentaries are better.

The other posters are just kidding on about the Indiana Jones nuke-fridge scene - Indiana Jones/Spiepberg/Lucas fanboys like to pretend that their bad ideas never happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Ageyev wrote: »
    The other posters are just kidding on about the Indiana Jones nuke-fridge scene - Indiana Jones/Spiepberg/Lucas fanboys like to pretend that their bad ideas never happened.

I might have enjoyed the Indiana Jones movies when I was a young lad but there's no way I'd class myself as a fanboy of any of those three. Saying that, I would also like to live in a world where a film, about a middle aged man saving himself from a nuclear blast by hiding in a fridge, didn't exist. Thankfully, I do.

• Advertisement

Actually just watching Eraser on Netflix and fridges are actually the best shield known to man. Defends against all sorts of super weapons, though sadly not that portable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,197 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Watched some of Flaked so far and liked it for the record. Very tight cast of characters with some flaws and mildy amusing. Like Love and Master of None which i enjoyed while not being blown away by.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Jaysus, Looks like Netflix UK Ireland has had what Thrones fans might refer to as a TED Wedding. (Basically a lot of Ted talks have been killed off the service)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Is the TED stuff not on YouTube anyway. There's also TED app.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Peaky Blinders season 2 added today on UK/Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

House of Cards, Better Call Saul and Peaky Blinders all at the same time. Love Netflx! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

House of Cards, Better Call Saul and Peaky Blinders all at the same time. Love Netflx! :)

and daredevil this friday

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Movie releases very poor this month so it's good to see we are getting some decent shows. Looking forward to Bloodline season 2 next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Myself and the wife are loving Netflix...she wasn't sold on it originally buy recently she's been finding stuff that is recommended to her that she really likes. We have a smart TV now too and it makes it so easy to access stuff.

Better Call Saul
    House of Cards
    Daredevil
    Jessica Jones
    So, so much more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Haven't seen it mentioned in a while but I'm really loving The League, a comedy based around a group in an American fantasy football league, but it's not about the football, just their general madness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement