Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Left my brain outside last night and watched "Mad Max: Fury Road". If you like post-apocalyptic escapism this is for you. Reasonably entertaining but I won't be watching it again - ever. 6/10

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Left my brain outside last night and watched "Mad Max: Fury Road". If you like post-apocalyptic escapism this is for you. Reasonably entertaining but I won't be watching it again - ever. 6/10

i usually love this kind of thing but thought this film was rubbish ,it bordered on an episode of power rangers for me at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Separate threads for film & TV
    i usually love this kind of thing but thought this film was rubbish ,it bordered on an episode of power rangers for me at times.

can you point me in the direction of that particular version of the power rangers? cause If its like fury road, I'm all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The price hike is only for those who were grandfathered in at the original price they now are joining everyone else and paying the €9.99 a month as far i get from that.
    Hmmm.. I'm only paying €6.99 at the minute. And that's for HD + multiple accounts! :(

Don't know if I'm up for paying an extra €3 to be honest... I'll probably opt to sign up for a month at a time when there's decent original content arriving.

can you point me in the direction of that particular version of the power rangers? cause If its like fury road, I'm all over it.

Yeah mate try dino charge it will change your life

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If all dumb blockbusters were as thematically & narratively robust as Fury Road and even a fraction as aesthetically assured, we'd be a few steps closer to world peace.

If all dumb blockbusters were as thematically & narratively robust as Fury Road and even a fraction as aesthetically assured, we'd be a few steps closer to world peace.
    This is one of the best things I have read on Boards. bravo. I may even give Fury Road another go now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Mad Max: Fury Road in two sentences.
    C'mon everybody, let's go to the promised land! Actually, lads, we better go back because I think I left the cooker on…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Basq wrote: »
    Hmmm.. I'm only paying €6.99 at the minute. And that's for HD + multiple accounts! :(

Don't know if I'm up for paying an extra €3 to be honest... I'll probably opt to sign up for a month at a time when there's decent original content arriving.

Check your account from the Netflix desktop page. Under "plan details" it should say how long your price plan is guaranteed for. Mine is €8.99 for "2screens + HD through August 17th". I signed up at €6.99 a few years ago but cancelled and resubbed at the new higher price after a price hike.

You gotta know that they will just keep upping the price. Netflix is a billion dollar company and has a virtual monopoly in places like Ireland and they've locked down on any geo-unblocking as discussed elsewhere.

Mad Max: Fury Road in two sentences.
    C'mon everybody, let's go to the promised land! Actually, lads, we better go back because I think I left the cooker on…

Yup. Mad Max certainly had an amazing aesthetic but shag all narrative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ageyev wrote: »
    Check your account from the Netflix desktop page. Under "plan details" it should say how long your price plan is guaranteed for. Mine is €8.99 for "2screens + HD through August 17th". I signed up at €6.99 a few years ago but cancelled and resubbed at the new higher price after a price hike.
    Untitled.png

:(

I'm not watching Netflix nearly as much these days.. but my mother is using my account and is never off it.... probably will need to keep it just to keep her happy.

Oh, and while we're on about it, didn't think a whole lot of Mad Max either. Over-the-top visuals, noise and characters I couldn't give a toss about.

There's a feature on their website where you can look over everything that you've viewed, my account goes back several years to early 2014 and right enough the first videos I clicked on are there. Handy to help people decide whether their subscription is worth it

https://www.netflix.com/WiViewingActivity

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

There's a feature on their website where you can look over everything that you've viewed, my account goes back several years to early 2014 and right enough the first videos I clicked on are there. Handy to help people decide whether their subscription is worth it

https://www.netflix.com/WiViewingActivity

Thanks for the link. I think I need to get out more! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Whitechapel season 4 is up there..its good silly fun.

Also: The legend of Barney Thomson. Off beat lightweight and enjoyable

Netflix's site has a blog with a ranking of the fastest Internet providers - https://media.netflix.com/en/company-blog/netflix-isp-speed-index-for-march-2016

Virgin Media is #1 for Ireland

Netflix's site has a blog with a ranking of the fastest Internet providers - https://media.netflix.com/en/company-blog/netflix-isp-speed-index-for-march-2016

Virgin Media is #1 for Ireland

For how long I wonder, Netflix was unwatchable on Virgin the past number of months and all Virgin wanted to do was pass the blame

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yup. Mad Max certainly had an amazing aesthetic but shag all narrative.

Actually I'd very much argue its approach to narrative is one of the most interesting and admirable thing about it. The plot is light (which is if anything a welcome relief in an age of unnecessarily convoluted, weirdly simplistic and often nonsensical blockbuster plots), but in terms of the wider storytelling it's accomplished and even artful. The way it achieves its world building and character development are impressively nuanced and very cinematic. Plus, it manages to keep its thematic strands clear and coherent right until the very last shot - as opposed to most blockbusters that may briefly introduce some ideas only to have them disappear if not actively be undermined by the time the explosive final act roles about.

We're not talking anything particularly radical here, I must stress (perhaps only in comparison to its blockbuster peers), but Fury Road's storytelling has much more interesting things going on than its 'there and back again' plot suggests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Actually I'd very much argue its approach to narrative is one of the most interesting and admirable thing about it. The plot is light (which is if anything a welcome relief in an age of unnecessarily convoluted, weirdly simplistic and often nonsensical blockbuster plots), but in terms of the wider storytelling it's accomplished and even artful. The way it achieves its world building and character development are impressively nuanced and very cinematic. Plus, it manages to keep its thematic strands clear and coherent right until the very last shot - as opposed to most blockbusters that may briefly introduce some ideas only to have them disappear if not actively be undermined by the time the explosive final act roles about.

We're not talking anything particularly radical here, I must stress (perhaps only in comparison to its blockbuster peers), but Fury Road's storytelling has much more interesting things going on than its 'there and back again' plot suggests.
    Seen it 3 or 4 times now and I'm increasingly impressed with Nux's character development and the way he's subtly weaved in and out of the 2 main plotlines (Immorten Joe & the war boys and Max, Furiosa & the wives).

Especially in a year when the latest blockbuster took 2.5 hours and fumbled doing the very basic story of heroes dislike each other/heroes fight it out/heroes team up. Give me the clean narrative and thematic lines of Fury Road over the convoluted headwreck of Batman V Superman any day of the weak. If only all big action movies had the cool and confident approach of George Miller at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,697 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Basq wrote: »
    Untitled.png

:(

I'm not watching Netflix nearly as much these days.. but my mother is using my account and is never off it.... probably will need to keep it just to keep her happy.

Oh, and while we're on about it, didn't think a whole lot of Mad Max either. Over-the-top visuals, noise and characters I couldn't give a toss about.
    Balls mine is only guaranteed up to the 1st of February 2016, just checking my email and credit card account and still only taking the €6.99 a month! Will just have to see how long before I get the dreaded mail.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Balls mine is only guaranteed up to the 1st of February 2016, just checking my email and credit card account and still only taking the €6.99 a month! Will just have to see how long before I get the dreaded mail.
    As is mine. No notification of the price increase. I'll still pay it mind you as I'm quite happy with their original content and I pay the same for Spotify anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Hitchcocks rear window and vertigo added to Irish Netflix

Just watched RTE's "Rebellion" mini-series on Netflix last night and I don't get all the negativity surrounding the production. It reminded me of the excellent "Strumpet City" series from 1980 and I thought it captured the events rather well. At this stage we all know the hard cold facts about 1916 and this series gave it a human face that one could identify with.

000b553c-630.jpg

The female cast stole the show for me, perhaps they had the more interesting roles. but whatever the reason I can't remember the last time I saw so many strong female performances. I sincerely hope there will be a second series and I'll be adding the DVD to my collection in due course. 9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Just watched RTE's "Rebellion" mini-series on Netflix last night and I don't get all the negativity surrounding the production. It reminded me of the excellent "Strumpet City" series from 1980 and I thought it captured the events rather well. At this stage we all know the hard cold facts about 1916 and this series gave it a human face that one could identify with.

000b553c-630.jpg

The female cast stole the show for me, perhaps they had the more interesting roles. but whatever the reason I can't remember the last time I saw so many strong female performances. I sincerely hope there will be a second series and I'll be adding the DVD to my collection in due course. 9/10

I thought it was crap because I didn't learn a thing about the rising from it, it was like a soap opera, stupid irrelevant stuff. like the Cork ones affair with the English guy, what was the point of that??

fin12 wrote: »
    I thought it was crap because I didn't learn a thing about the rising from it, it was like a soap opera, stupid irrelevant stuff. like the Cork ones affair with the English guy, what was the point of that??

That's just ridiculous, what did you expect from a drama - it wasn't supposed to be a Dermot Ferriter type documentary. If you want to learn about the Rising buy a book or watch Liam Neeson's documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

That's just ridiculous, what did you expect from a drama - it wasn't supposed to be a Dermot Ferriter type documentary. If you want to learn about the Rising buy a book or watch Liam Neeson's documentary.

Well they could have made it similar to something like the wind that shakes the Barley, and had the Rising as the main focus. And I did watch the Liam Neeson documentary but they didn't come out till after rebellion. Anyway it got a lot of bad reviews anyway so it's not just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Think the idea of Rebellion was to appeal to those, like me, who have no great interest or previous knowledge about the rising, as well as an international audience. Can't blame them for trying, even though I didn't think it was great either.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Think the idea of Rebellion was to appeal to those, like me, who have no great interest or previous knowledge about the rising, as well as an international audience. Can't blame them for trying, even though I didn't think it was great either.

I think the point of it was to look at the human side of it rather than the history. How it effected the everyday people of Dublin at the time, how it cut across social boundaries and even gender barriers at times.

The problem with it, in my opinion, was that the writer's ambition was greater than his abilities. It was a good idea on paper but poorly executed for the most part. Too many characters, too many subplots, it was almost like a first draft effort that needed a lot of tidying up. The brother who was in the British army, for example, was really interesting, the brother who was a rich drunk womaniser less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

kung fu panda 1&2
    Madagascar 1,2,3
    how to train your dragon
    monsters v aliens
    added to irish netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Is the new season of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt out today? loved season one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Is the new season of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt out today? loved season one.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057381554&page=2

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement