Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Separate threads for film & TV
    peteeeed wrote: »
    kung fu panda 1&2
    Madagascar 1,2,3
    how to train your dragon
    monsters v aliens
    added to irish netflix

But no Megamind. Boooo!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,265 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Seems they've started adding new episodes of Orphan Black each week, episode 1 of season 4 is there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,115 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Orphan Black Series 4 started being added episode by episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

flazio wrote: »
    Orphan Black Series 4 started being added episode by episode.

Season 3 is there in its entirety as well, I didnt notice that till last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Look who's back is on the Irish netflix.

Basically its a comedy where Hitler wakes up in today's world. Everyone thinks its a edgy genius comic doing a method act and he becomes a star but......

Its genuinely funny, although watching it, its worrying that if he was about today he probably would do quite well.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Prescription Drugs looks interesting. A follow up to a documentary that was released a couple of years back Bigger Stronger Faster http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4505666/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Is Rebellion on the Irish Netflix? I can't seem to find it when I search for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Is Rebellion on the Irish Netflix? I can't seem to find it when I search for it.

I use Smartflix so I haven't a clue which Netflix site it was on, but if you can't find it by searching the Irish site then it's not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

Rewatched The Dish today, a very nice gentle Aussie comedy with Sam Neill. True story of the satellite dish that helped spread the moon landing pictures round the world.

Highly recommended.

It takes many liberties with the true story but it's a lovely feelgood film.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

I did see it when it was added but it seems to have disappeared. When you search for Rebellion or Ruth Bradley nothing shows (Ruth Bradley does show up for some film)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Hush.. a home invasion thriller-horror with John Gallagher Jr is now streaming worldwide.

Directed by Mike Flanagan, probably best known for directing Oculus, and it's actually quite decent.. definitely has one or two things setting it apart from what seems like a barrage of home invasion movies.

Definitely not without it flaws (and clichés) but far worse ways to spend a quite brisk 80 minute runtime.

Two nights and two more movies that I wouldn't recommend. :(

"Terminator: Genisys" (2015) - this franchise has run its course. Even Arnie was confused by the convoluted relationship with previous plots. I have the others in the series in my collection but won't be adding this awful pile of parrot droppings.

"Total Recall" (2012) - just awful when compared with the outstanding 1999 movie. The three-titted woman was the only nod to the original! What, apart from money, possessed anybody to make this rubbish. I need to visit Rekall to have my memory of this film removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Del.Monte wrote: »
    "Total Recall" (2012) - just awful when compared with the outstanding 1999 movie. The three-titted woman was the only nod to the original! What, apart from money, possessed anybody to make this rubbish. I need to visit Rekall to have my memory of this film removed.

Having not seen the original (I know) I thought this was a fairly average yet forgettable sci-fi thriller flick.

"Terminator: Genisys" (2015) - this franchise has run its course. Even Arnie was confused by the convoluted relationship with previous plots. I have the others in the series in my collection but won't be adding this awful pile of parrot droppings.

I must be one of the few people who enjoyed both of those movies. they werent perfect but they were both pretty serviceable action flicks.

the zero grav elevator sequence in total recall was pretty impressive iirc.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Have you posted this in the wrong thread by accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I must be one of the few people who enjoyed both of those movies. they werent perfect but they were both pretty serviceable action flicks.

the zero grav elevator sequence in total recall was pretty impressive iirc.

Terminator was enjoyable and Total Recall was alright, we seem to live in a World now were a film can only be Great or terrible and the middle ground is not tolerated.

'71
    (2014)

A British squaddie finds himself left behind in a Nationalist area of Belfast in the aftermath of a botched army operation. Pursued by a number of IRA gunmen, and a British undercover unit with Loyalist links, things go from bad to worse as he tries to get back to his base.

As movies about the 'Troubles' go it was okay and there was good attention to detail - equipment, uniforms etc. but overall it never really hit the mark. I have seen it compared with the 1947 film "Odd Man Out" which starred James Mason as an IRA man hunted through the streets of Belfast by the authorities. While the theme is the basically the same i.e the hunted prey not knowing who to trust as he tries to avoid capture, the earlier movie wins hands down for atmosphere and tension.

If 'Troubles' movies are your thing and you haven't seen '71 you should probably give it a whirl, and you should definitely get hold of "Odd Man Out".

I'm probably being a bit harsh and I would give '71 6/10 for effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

moneyball and maleficent added to irish netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭deisedude

'71
    (2014)

A British squaddie finds himself left behind in a Nationalist area of Belfast in the aftermath of a botched army operation. Pursued by a number of IRA gunmen, and a British undercover unit with Loyalist links, things go from bad to worse as he tries to get back to his base.

As movies about the 'Troubles' go it was okay and there was good attention to detail - equipment, uniforms etc. but overall it never really hit the mark. I have seen it compared with the 1947 film "Odd Man Out" which starred James Mason as an IRA man hunted through the streets of Belfast by the authorities. While the theme is the basically the same i.e the hunted prey not knowing who to trust as he tries to avoid capture, the earlier movie wins hands down for atmosphere and tension.

If 'Troubles' movies are your thing and you haven't seen '71 you should probably give it a whirl, and you should definitely get hold of "Odd Man Out".

I'm probably being a bit harsh and I would give '71 6/10 for effort.

Is this on the Irish one?

peteeeed wrote: »
    moneyball and maleficent added to irish netflix

moneyball is a great film, I've no interest in sports at all, but its well worth a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,356 ✭✭✭✭8-10

moneyball is a great film, I've no interest in sports at all, but its well worth a watch.

It's an even better book, but +1 for the film they did it justice

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Look who's back is on the Irish netflix.

Basically its a comedy where Hitler wakes up in today's world. Everyone thinks its a edgy genius comic doing a method act and he becomes a star but......

Its genuinely funny, although watching it, its worrying that if he was about today he probably would do quite well.:eek:

I checked this out and I found that it dragged quite a lot, which says something about a movie less than 2 hours long. Too much scripted and not enough of the Borat/Bruno style scenes and a love story that seemed utterly pointless. If they had removed that and made it a bit shorter then it would have been magnificent.

Still recommend people check it out.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,265 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is it not all scripted? It's an adaptation of a novel sure.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is it not all scripted? It's an adaptation of a novel sure.

It's a mixture. There's a story throughout, which I guess is the scripted parts, but there's scenes of them travelling around and talking to other people - these are all unscripted, as far as I'm aware and the Wikipedia page gives the same impression.
    The film features unscripted vignettes of Oliver Masucci as Hitler interacting with German civilians while in character, interspersed with scripted storyline sequences.

The humour and best parts come with the people reacting to this guy dressed as Hitler. Some find it funny and some find it absolutely deplorable. Not a spoiler, because how else would you expect Germans to react to someone dressed as him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭JP85

The Grand Budapest Hotel was added recently, i thoroughly enjoyed this film, was so beautifully shot, really quirky and something a little different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭George Michael

JP85 wrote: »
    The Grand Budapest Hotel was added recently, i thoroughly enjoyed this film, was so beautifully shot, really quirky and something a little different

very good film

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

JP85 wrote: »

Snorefest for me I'm afraid. Hate arty-farty films. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

God, if something as playful, funny, lively and accessible as Grand Budapest can be dismissed as 'arty', then frankly I don't even know anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭deisedude

God, if something as playful, funny, lively and accessible as Grand Budapest can be dismissed as 'arty', then frankly I don't even know anymore.

I wouldn't call it arty but I honestly couldn't warm to it, didn't find it funny in the slightest and for what it's worth I love some of Andersons other films like Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums and especially the The Squid and the Whale

• Advertisement

deisedude wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it arty but I honestly couldn't warm to it, didn't find it funny in the slightest and for what it's worth I love some of Andersons other films like Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums and especially the The Squid and the Whale

Squid & the Whale is Noah Baumbach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement