Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Separate threads for film & TV
    deisedude wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it arty but I honestly couldn't warm to it, didn't find it funny in the slightest and for what it's worth I love some of Andersons other films like Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums and especially the The Squid and the Whale

It's all personal taste. I loved Grand Budapest and absolutely hated The Royal Tenenbaums

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Basq wrote: »
    Hush.. a home invasion thriller-horror with John Gallagher Jr is now streaming worldwide.

Directed by Mike Flanagan, probably best known for directing Oculus, and it's actually quite decent.. definitely has one or two things setting it apart from what seems like a barrage of home invasion movies.

Definitely not without it flaws (and clichés) but far worse ways to spend a quite brisk 80 minute runtime.

Is it more like Absentia than Oculus? I thought Absentia was great, but Oculus was a load of guff (though admittedly it had a couple of lovely bits, like the way the past and present storylines are woven together visually or the point where we first see how much control the mirror can exert).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭deisedude

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Squid & the Whale is Noah Baumbach.

My mistake, Google tells me he was a producer not the director

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Fysh wrote: »
    Is it more like Absentia than Oculus? I thought Absentia was great, but Oculus was a load of guff (though admittedly it had a couple of lovely bits, like the way the past and present storylines are woven together visually or the point where we first see how much control the mirror can exert).
    Haven't seen Absentia, but Hush isn't really much like Oculus. A little more conventional than Oculus - as in none of the paranormal stuff but definitely enough interesting twists to put it above the likes of other home invasion thrillers (e.g intruders).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Look who's back is on the Irish netflix.

Basically its a comedy where Hitler wakes up in today's world. Everyone thinks its a edgy genius comic doing a method act and he becomes a star but......

Its genuinely funny, although watching it, its worrying that if he was about today he probably would do quite well.:eek:

Just watched that tonight, fantastic film.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Basq wrote: »
    Haven't seen Absentia, but Hush isn't really much like Oculus. A little more conventional than Oculus - as in none of the paranormal stuff but definitely enough interesting twists to put it above the likes of other home invasion thrillers (e.g intruders).

Watched Hush tonight, and as with Oculus was kind of disappointed :( It has some very nice elements, but is very clunky about establishing certain plot-related details and has a tedious asymmetry of physical damage so that every injury to the protagonist has consequences, but the antagonist is apparently Superman (
    him shaking off not only a nasty gouge to the forearm but also a crossbow shot to the chest in such a way that he can still use both arms as normal and run around is just sloppy writing
    ). A pity, because the stuff that isn't bone-headedly stupid is quite neatly handled.

Of Flanagan's three feature films, Absentia sadly remains the only one I think is actually good overall and worth rewatching. He's got some great ideas, so I'll continue to keep an eye out for his work, but I'm unlikely to spend money on it at the cinema.

Goddamn, I thought you meant you had watched them on the Oculus Rift.

D'ya reckon Netflix will have VR support?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Is Rebellion on the Irish Netflix? I can't seem to find it when I search for it.

It's on Netflix everywhere except Ireland (because RTÉ expect people to buy it on DVD here instead) and the US and Finland. (What happened there is that RTÉ started trying to sell it abroad, and only got buyers in the US and Finland. Eventually Netflix came and asked for global rights but the contracts were signed, so Netflix paid for the rights to everywhere worldwide except Ireland, America and Finland) Seems like it's not on Netflix in more countries than that. Netflix themselves said it was all but those 3. Anyway, it's on UK Netflix but not Ireland.

So, no it isn't (except Northern Ireland)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Occono wrote: »
    It's on Netflix everywhere except Ireland (because RTÉ expect people to buy it on DVD here instead) and the US and Finland. (What happened there is that RTÉ started trying to sell it abroad, and only got buyers in the US and Finland. Eventually Netflix came and asked for global rights but the contracts were signed, so Netflix paid for the rights to everywhere worldwide except Ireland, America and Finland)

So, no it isn't (except Northern Ireland)

Fuq sake. Fuq RTE :MAD:

Is it on RTE player?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Has anyone ever watched any of the PBS documentaries on Netflix?

Some interesting subjects in the history ones but I find American TV documentaries are sometimes a bit hard to watch.

Some interesting subjects in the history ones but I find American TV documentaries are sometimes a bit hard to watch.

The Amish one was ok, but I know exactly what you mean about American TV Docs. They're often the wrong side of "edutainment" for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Ageyev wrote: »
    Fuq sake. Fuq RTE :MAD:

It's crap anyway, your better off not watching it.

The Amish one was ok, but I know exactly what you mean about American TV Docs. They're often the wrong side of "edutainment" for me.

Depending on what networks they're from too they sometimes have the 27 ad breaks format meaning they repeat themselves every 5 minutes.

There's a couple of Ken Burns full series ones, The American Civil War, The West etc. etc. that I would be interested in.

I suppose the only way to find out is to watch them myself. :)

Really good Documentary on prescription drugs called Prescription thugs on Netflix Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Sicario on netflix brazil now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,356 ✭✭✭✭8-10

There's a couple of Ken Burns full series ones, The American Civil War, The West etc. etc. that I would be interested in.

The West is excellent but 'Baseball' is just incredible and one of the best docs around. It's on US Netflix

fin12 wrote: »
    It's crap anyway, your better off not watching it.

Yeah but like, what is their thinking? "We could get paid to put it on the 26-county Irish Netflix but we might lose out on DVD sales so shag it... if it's on the UK Netflix then it's available in the 6 counties. More RTE's attitude than me not getting to watch a crappy TV series - watched a bit of it and wasn't interested. Considering the subject matter, RTE aren't coming off well here imo

Watched a few of them when I was 'vacationing' in the USA. Saw an interesting one on prohibition.

Yeah but like, what is their thinking? "We could get paid to put it on the 26-county Irish Netflix but we might lose out on DVD sales so shag it... if it's on the UK Netflix then it's available in the 6 counties. More RTE's attitude than me not getting to watch a crappy TV series - watched a bit of it and wasn't interested. Considering the subject matter, RTE aren't coming off well here imo

It's funny though because Quirke another rte drama was available on Netflix Ireland or might still be and that was actually good, I think anyway.

Rte are strange I remember as well ages ago you couldn't watch Fair city on the rte player even though it's an Irish soap, you could watch eastenders all right on it but not fair city, they were having some dispute there as well. Don't know what it was about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

Watched "Small Apartments" yesterday.... very quirky comedy with a great cast. Probably not for everyone but I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Watched a few of them when I was 'vacationing' in the USA. Saw an interesting one on prohibition.

The one on Prohibition is up on the Irish 'flix. I really enjoyed it. It's a three part series and goes into the issues surrounding that era in a good bit of depth. Really fascinating stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

The one on Prohibition is up on the Irish 'flix. I really enjoyed it. It's a three part series and goes into the issues surrounding that era in a good bit of depth. Really fascinating stuff.

If you haven't seen The War it's absolutely essential viewing. Focuses entirely on the US's involvement in WWII but is the definitive look at the pacific conflict imo. It's a long watch, seven episodes each more than two hours in length, but it's as good a WWII documentary as you're likely to see.

All the ones recommended seem to be Ken Burns ones. The two I was thinking of watching are both his. I'll give them a watch then. Cheers guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Watched The Gift with Jason Bateman and Joel Edgerton at the weekend. Joel wrote and directed it too I believe. Not sure how to classify it, shades of a psychological thriller mixed with horror elements. Enjoyed it I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Watched The Gift with Jason Bateman and Joel Edgerton at the weekend. Joel wrote and directed it too I believe. Not sure how to classify it, shades of a psychological thriller mixed with horror elements. Enjoyed it I must say.

I also watched this at the weekend. The trailer made it look like it would be an awful, stalker horror but it was much more and I really enjoyed it. Fair play to Joel Edgerton.

I watched The Pill: two people have one night stand sex without protection, in the morning she says she's Catholic, wasn't on the pill and doesn't want to take the morning after pill and he spends the day pleading with her to take it. It's a bit... odd in a way I can't quite describe. It had 70% on Rotten Tomatoes but when I checked again I noticed that was only 10 votes. Wouldn't give a strong recommendation but I found it slightly better than most romantic/comedy flicks.

Also gave Prescription Thugs a watch. Documentary on the use of heavy use of prescription painkillers by the guy who made Bigger, Faster, Stronger about steroid use. This is worth a watch if you're interested in the subject matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

fin12 wrote: »

Ah, ffs. All the Disney stuff that's going!!! That's really pissing me off…

• Advertisement

I subbed to Mubi for a trial a while ago. One big benefit is they made clear on their app and website when titles are finishing and you get daily updates about additions.

http://www.whats-on-netflix.com/leaving-soon/titles-leaving-netflix-may-2016/
    As May rolls around it’s time once again to see what titles are scheduled to depart in the coming month. Yet again, another big title for Netflix scheduled to depart and that is Scrubs. We’ve gone into detail here about why Scrubs is up for removal and more importantly, why it’s likely to be renewed here.

Otherwise, fingers crossed that this list stays to an absolute minimum as more titles leaving Netflix will always cause more upset.

List of Titles Leaving Netflix May 2016
    May 1st

100 Bloody Acres (2012)
    A Company Man (2012)
    The Animatrix (2003)
    Anna Karenina (1948)
    Author! Author! (1982)
    Beware of Mr. Baker (2012)
    Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure (1989)
    Bus Stop (1956)
    Election (1999)
    Encounters at the End of the World (2007)
    From the Terrace (1960)
    Full Metal Jacket (1987)
    The Great Divide (2012)
    Harriet the Spy: Blog Wars (2010)
    Holiday Engagement (2011)
    Kiss of Death (1995)
    New World (2013)
    Oslo, August 31st (2011)
    Ravenous (1999)
    Samurai Champloo – 1 Season (2004)
    Scooby-Doo (Live Action Movie) (2002)
    Terms And Conditions May Apply (2013)
    That’s What I Am (2011)
    Torrente 2: Mission in Marbella, aka Torrente: Mission in Marbella (2001)
    Training Day (2001)
    Truth or Die (2012)

May 2nd

Scrubs (9 Seasons)
    Slightly Single in L.A. (2012)
    May 3rd

JFK: The Smoking Gun (2013)
    May 4th

Stealing Harvard (2002)
    May 5th

Computer Chess (2013)
    Under The Bombs (2007)
    May 6th

Finding Normal (2013)
    May 7th

JFK: A President Betrayed (2013)
    May 9th

Cheerful Weather for the Wedding (2012)
    Cracks (2009)
    Tears of the Sun (2003)
    May 10th

The Score (2001)
    May 12th

The Ladykillers (2004)
    May 13th

Is the Man Who Is Tall Happy? (2013)
    Sing It On (2015)
    May 14

The Master of Disguise (2002)
    Offender (2012)
    May 15th

FX Series – 30 Days (All Seasons)
    A Pope For Everyone (2013)
    Bratz: BFF: Best Friends Forever (2007)
    The Greatest Places: IMAX (1999)
    In Her Skin (2009)
    Inhale (2010)
    Lightning Point (All Seasons)
    Maria la del Barrio (1995)
    The Quest (1 Season)
    Search for the Great Sharks: IMAX (1995)
    Tiger Eyes (2012)
    May 16th

Blade Runner: Theatrical Cut (1982)
    The Last Tycoon (2012)
    May 17th

Handy Manny (Disney – All Seasons)
    May 18th

Ikki Tousen Great Guardians (2008)
    Ikki Tousen: Xtreme Xecutor (2010)
    May 19th

Peep World (2010)
    May 21st