Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Saw Netflix's documentary "Team Foxcatcher" last night, I saw "Foxcatcher" a few months by with Steve Carrell in it, as was interested in what the documentary had to highlight on John Du Pont. Theres a lot of home video diary/documentation in it. Some great interviews and thoughts by the wrestlers on their time spent up at Du Ponts sports academy. The documentary really does highlight John Du Pont as this increasingly fragile loner who desperately tried to win his mothers approval and ultimately failed which resulted in such tragic circumstances.

As mentioned some great interviews in, Dave Schultz's wife gives her thoughts on it, as well as a lot of Du Ponts staff and helpers who worked under him during the years. Highly recommended!!!!

Amazing movie!!! One of Steve Carrell's best performances imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭George Michael

very good film alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Separate threads for film & TV
    Beefy78 wrote: »
    True. For me, he's not been in anything watchable since The Office. Merchant was the one with talent.

He was excellent in Extras, which was very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Synode wrote: »
    Merchant co-wrote that too though..

.. I'd probably agree that Gervais and Merchant together did the best work they've done, but then again - Life's Too Short was disappointing for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,621 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The two seasons of iZombie have been added to Netflix Ireland.

Planet HULK also added to Netflix Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

The two seasons of iZombie have been added to Netflix Ireland..

For a show with a recurring sequence of increasingly inventive ways to cook and consume human brains; it is a great wee fun, entertaining watch. Also worth watching for the annoyingly catchy theme tune alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The good performances aside. I find the film very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Synode wrote: »

Agree to disagree. I thought Extras was ****e.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Great news, and surprisingly prompt too given iZombie finished it's second season only a couple of weeks back. It really is a top show that revels in its pretty goofy premise, while being built off a rewarding, rich set of characters with plenty of depth. Genuinely funny to boot. Only minor point really is the pretty dreadful title, always felt that never worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

pixelburp wrote:
    Great news, and surprisingly prompt too given iZombie finished it's second season only a couple of weeks back. It really is a top show that revels in its pretty goofy premise, while being built off a rewarding, rich set of characters with plenty of depth. Genuinely funny to boot. Only minor point really is the pretty dreadful title, always felt that never worked.

Watching first ep, not loving it, does it improve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I watched this because they were covering it on the Cinematic Universe podcast, it's not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

sweetie wrote: »

I been watching it on RTE and was up to Esp 7 before I moved house and cut TV off. I think the first esp are tough be the show finds it's footing fast. Give it another esp and if still don't like it cut it loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

TheNap wrote: »
    Stumbled across Power the other night.

It's kind of The Wire lite but worth a watch all the same .

+1 for this.

Enjoyed the 2nd season more, hoping for a 3rd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

sweetie wrote: »

Yes, very much so. Depending on what it is you're not liking that is. But I can't think of a single show I've enjoyed that hasn't required at least 4 or 5 episodes before getting a sense of its relative quality. Give it time

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I watched 4 or 5 eps of iZombie when it started last year but I got bored of it pretty quickly. It seemed like a pretty standard procedural even with the zombie angle. Bit repetitive. It also seemed like a bit of a sausage fest. I think her roommate had two lines in all of the eps I watched. Everyone else was dudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭trashcan

+1 for this.

I've just watched the first episode of this having seen it mentioned here in the context of The (Almighty) Wire. Not sure if I'll persevere or not. It was ok, but I'd tend to agree with the comments made so far. Certainly with the main character all I could see was a poor mans Stringer Bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,621 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

+1 for this.

The 3rd season will be on in the States in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Pegmatite

I wonder is that wht RTE pretty much dumped it.

Lots of hype for the first episode then dumped in a grave yard slot.
    Its pretty meh to be fair.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Pegmatite wrote: »
    I wonder is that wht RTE pretty much dumped it.

Lots of hype for the first episode then dumped in a grave yard slot.
    Its pretty meh to be fair.

Usually RTÉ's poor treatment of a show is indicative of how good it is. I wouldn't let their scheduling of something put me off giving something a shot anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Pegmatite

Usually RTÉ's poor treatment of a show is indicative of how good it is. I wouldn't let their scheduling of something put me off giving something a shot anyway.

I think I was more annoyed that they moved Persons of Intrest from its slot and replaced it with Izombie. Only for RTE to lose faith in it an bury it. I still cant belive they are showing 20 year old repeats of Friends and Fr Ted. But that is for another thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I noticed down terrace was on Netflix Ireland last night, sat down to watch it tonight and its gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I took a break from watching "The Fall" last night - which despite being excellently made is not the most cheerful thing out there - and decided on some light relief "Batman: The Dark Knight Rises" (2012).

To say that I found it boring would be a serious understatement and at two hours 44 minutes it was at least an hour too long. It plods along to a poor conclusion, and whether it was the wooden acting of Christian Bale or the embarrassing cameo by Michael Caine - or my age - it was yawn inducing. 5/10 2/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Is Dark Knight Rises on Irish Netflix? I think if's fitting end to Nolan Batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Cameo by Michael Caine? Do you know what a cameo is?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,356 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Is Dark Knight Rises on Irish Netflix?

No you have to go abroad for it. I think it was at some stage but not anymore.

It's a good point though - would be helpful if as part of the recommendation we post the region it is available on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

In my opinion, Dark Knight Rises wasn't as bad as people made it out to be, the Dark Knight wasn't as good as people made it out to be and Batman Begins is the best film of the trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

DKR is the weakest film in the trilogy by a mile and has some ridiculous pacing issues for a film that long but it isn't a 2/10 film, come on.

Michael Caine's role isn't a cameo either as homerun_homer said.

Cameo by Michael Caine? Do you know what a cameo is?

Found this ref. online which covers my use of the word cameo:

It basically means that a more famous person than the main cast, perhaps not even someone that's normally an actor, plays a background or just small role in the movie.

This fits what I was saying, but then again you may think that some 'Johnny-Come-Lately' like Christian Bale is a more famous actor than Michael Caine?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Johnny%E2%80%93come%E2%80%93lately

Anyway, onto a more positive experience.

"Unknown" (2011)

An excellent thriller with Liam Neeson in the lead role. Only flags slightly towards the end and was a welcome relief after 'the Bat'. 9/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Anyway, onto a more positive experience.

"Unknown" (2011)

An excellent thriller with Liam Neeson in the lead role. Only flags slightly towards the end and was a welcome relief after 'the Bat'. 9/10
    Is that on Netflix Ireland?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement