Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Sorry, I'm using Smartflix and I haven't a clue what Netflix country the movies are on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Watched Special Correspondents this evening and I'm thinking the review above is a piss take.

Watched it there tonight, I can't get over how pis5 poor it was. Ricky isn't suited to movies. His regular Joe TV format really works best for him and thats only when he's working with Stephen Merchant a's co-writer.

His stand-up shows were excellent and I also enjoyed his cameo's in Louis CK''s Louie.

Special Correspondents was garbage from the start and just got worse and worse. He even made a jibe at the movie just before the end credits calling it low budget.

Very disappointing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Separate threads for film & TV
    I don't want to be one of those Moany Marys that complains when people are talking about TV shows rather than films in here but..... There seems to be a trend developing of people just talking about what they've recently watched, even when they think it was rubbish.

I'm not referring to any posts in particular but there's been a few lately. I don't even mean when people end up having a discussion about something like with iZombie this past week or one of the Netflix original shows/films but some posts seem like they'd be better suited to the Recently Watched thread.

I don't mean to backseat mod or anything and I don't think the issue warrants reporting the posts, maybe everyone else is okay with it, it's just something I noticed creeping in lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I don't want to be one of those Moany Marys that complains when people are talking about TV shows rather than films in here but..... There seems to be a trend developing of people just talking about what they've recently watched, even when they think it was rubbish.

I'm not referring to any posts in particular but there's been a few lately. I don't even mean when people end up having a discussion about something like with iZombie this past week or one of the Netflix original shows/films but some posts seem like they'd be better suited to the Recently Watched thread.

I don't mean to backseat mod or anything and I don't think the issue warrants reporting the posts, maybe everyone else is okay with it, it's just something I noticed creeping in lately.

Fair enough points but there's only so many good films on Netflix one can recommend. Least as now they've done away with people going on holidays. Netflix hasn't got that many undiscovered gems or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Ya and it's good to let people know how bad something is as well so we can avoid it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

'Hush' was one of the better stalk-and-slash horrors I've seen. Interesting premise and plenty of jumps.

8/10

http://netflixlife.com/2016/05/03/peaky-blinders-season-3-gets-netflix-release-date/

Dont know if this includes the Irish Netflix, maybe it might just be the UK one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I find them handy in a what not to watch type of recommendation. I've often seen things skimming through and remember that someone mentioned they thought it was poor so moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Stumbled onto another goodie last night - "Safe House" (2012) a CIA thriller with Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds in the lead roles.

As is usual in anything to do with the CIA -in real life or in movies - confusion reigns and nothing is as it seems.

Ryan Reynolds runs a CIA 'safe house' in Cape Town, South Africa and Denzel Washington is a rogue agent being held there pending extraction to the USA.
    When the safe house is attacked by assailants unknown and the CIA team wiped out, Reynolds finds himself on his own and charged with bringing Denzel Washington in....

9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭trashcan

Watched it there tonight, I can't get over how pis5 poor it was. Ricky isn't suited to movies. His regular Joe TV format really works best for him and thats only when he's working with Stephen Merchant a's co-writer.

His stand-up shows were excellent and I also enjoyed his cameo's in Louis CK''s Louie.

Special Correspondents was garbage from the start and just got worse and worse. He even made a jibe at the movie just before the end credits calling it low budget.

Very disappointing.

Was planning to watch this. Might not bother now. (Ah, I'll probably check it out anyway, not with much expectation now.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,621 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

fin12 wrote: »
    http://netflixlife.com/2016/05/03/peaky-blinders-season-3-gets-netflix-release-date/

Dont know if this includes the Irish Netflix, maybe it might just be the UK one?

It's just for the US Netflix.

I'm just after getting an email from Netflix saying I need to reset and I make a new password saying that they had detected a suspicious sign in to my account, how do I know if the email is genuine?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

fin12 wrote: »
    I'm just after getting an email from Netflix saying I need to reset and I make a new password saying that they had detected a suspicious sign in to my account, how do I know if the email is genuine?

Don't follow any links from that email, open a browser on your phone or tablet and sign in from there. If it was genuine you'll most likely get another message upon sign in

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

+1 recommendation for Hush. A decent horror to watch at home alone in the dark. It's not perfect but it's more effective than so much of the rubbish that tries to pass itself off as horror these times.
    Del.Monte wrote: »
    Found this ref. online which covers my use of the word cameo:

It basically means that a more famous person than the main cast, perhaps not even someone that's normally an actor, plays a background or just small role in the movie.

This fits what I was saying, but then again you may think that some 'Johnny-Come-Lately' like Christian Bale is a more famous actor than Michael Caine?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Johnny%E2%80%93come%E2%80%93lately

Not to be dragging this up but... no. It's not a cameo. Watch Zoolander to see what a cameo is. You'll get many examples there;)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,621 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix's new original series Marseille is available now on all regions.

Netflix's new original series Marseille is available now on all regions.

Watched the trailer for this a few weeks ago. It's hard to take Depardieu seriously these days. The other guy looks like a French Philip Glenister. Looks interesting though.

I like that they're branching out into other languages for their original content. Things like The Killing, The Bridge, The Returned etc. have shown that the English speaking world will watch subtitles if the story is good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭George Michael

Watched the trailer for this a few weeks ago. It's hard to take Depardieu seriously these days. The other guy looks like a French Philip Glenister. Looks interesting though.

I like that they're branching out into other languages for their original content. Things like The Killing, The Bridge, The Returned etc. have shown that the English speaking world will watch subtitles if the story is good enough.

is it worth the watch

is it worth the watch

It only went up this morning, haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

It only went up this morning, haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

unacceptable:p

ill watch an episode tonight and report back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

unacceptable:p

He obviously didn't have the freedom to watch it this morning but you gotta have faith in him.

I actually am enjoying iZombie ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Big recommendation for a documentary called Welcome to Leith, on Irish netflix. Tells the story of the attempted mass migration of neo-Nazis to Leith, a small town in North Dakota.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Big recommendation for a documentary called Welcome to Leith, on Irish netflix. Tells the story of the attempted mass migration of neo-Nazis to Leith, a small town in North Dakota.

I had to do a double take there, thought it said a mass migration of neo nazis to laois.

Not to be confused with Sunshine on Leith, a musical based on songs by The Proclaimers. Two very different experiences.

watched the first episode of marseille there. certainly watchable. its not a typical american style drama series. the pacing is different (quick pacing). it has a slightly artsy feel to it like the french/italian movies of the sixties. i will watch the next episode so i will know more then.

edit: its in french as well so you have to turn on the subtitles. which is good in a way. makes it authentic

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Just a heads up Cavalry and Raid 2 leaving either Monday or Tuesday. Big recommendation great movies.

Almost got that mixed up with Sunshine On Leith, which would be a different movie altogether ..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

got an email today saying they are upping the price to 9.99. anybody else get this??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

sky88 wrote: »
    got an email today saying they are upping the price to 9.99. anybody else get this??

The price hike depends on when you subbed. Under account settings it says when your "current price is guaranteed" for. Eg. mine is mid August.

Watched 1971 last night. Its a documentary about political activists who broke into an FBI office and later exposed a covert surveillance operation that was largely targeted at Communists and later activists of the 60s. It was produced by Laura Poitrus who made the Edward Snowden documentary.

I had read this NYTimes piece on the story before, quite a fascinating story not dissimilar to the Snowden revelations but in a different time. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/07/us/burglars-who-took-on-fbi-abandon-shadows.html?_r=0

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement