Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Separate threads for film & TV
    Yeah I'm still paying €6.99 a month for the HD plan, I haven't gotten the email yet, they pushed it to June for me according to my billing page.

Three indie films I recommend: Blue Ruin, He Never Died and The One I Love.

(Netflix has lots of hidden gem indie films. You can't rely on it for big films though, any more than you could RTÉ.)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,621 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

My price increase has been pushed back till at least June now as well.

Someone told me you can also just switch to €8 plan right before your next billing date then switch back to the €10 HD plan right after to save the €2 but keep HD/2 screens, never tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

€9.99 here for two screens.

But i've been cancelling my sub every now and then. I only have it back at the moment for season two of Better call Saul.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

sky88 wrote: »
    got an email today saying they are upping the price to 9.99. anybody else get this??

Ya got it about a week ago, was surprised because I was on 7.99. I really don't think they should be allowed charge more than €10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭George Michael

10 a month i would still consider good value. whenever i am stuck for watching something i turn on netflix and find something

fin12 wrote: »
    I really don't think they should be allowed charge more than €10.

I don't think SKY should be either.:p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Ya got it about a week ago, was surprised because I was on 7.99. I really don't think they should be allowed charge more than €10.

They can charge whatever they want. Who is going to tell them "you're not allowed charge that?" If you don't want to pay it don't pay it. If everyone else feels the same as you and don't pay then maybe they'll bring it back down. Can't see it happening though. They could be charging €20 a month and it still works out at good value if you watch even just 2 films a week.

I don't think SKY should be either.:p

Haha :D:D

They can charge whatever they want. Who is going to tell them "you're not allowed charge that?" If you don't want to pay it don't pay it. If everyone else feels the same as you and don't pay then maybe they'll bring it back down. Can't see it happening though. They could be charging €20 a month and it still works out at good value if you watch even just 2 films a week.

Ya but I like Netflix so we are at ransom to them, sure once they get into the habit of upping the price when's it going to stop.

• Advertisement

Ya but I like Netflix so we are at ransom to them, sure once they get into the habit of upping the price when's it going to stop.

It's up to yourself to say when it's got too expensive. I like Netflix too but it's not a necessity, I don't need it to live. If it gets too expensive for me I'll stop paying it. They're not forcing you to subscribe, or telling you it's one price and then adding on PPI without telling you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

€10 a month!? For all that content. It's a bloody bargain, what is wrong with people? Xtra-Vision were renting movies for a fiver a night, iTunes rent movies for 4-5 euro, your average DVD boxset of a series will cost minimum 20 euro, a trip to the cinema costs around a tenner, 10 euro a month or 120 euro a year for Netflix is great value when you consider that some people pay that per month for TV subscriptions. I also don't feel like I'm just paying for the content, I'm paying for the constant availability, I can pull out my phone whenever I want and watch Netflix,and I'm also paying towards Netflix's original content.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    €10 a month!? For all that content. It's a bloody bargain, what is wrong with people? Xtra-Vision were renting movies for a fiver a night, iTunes rent movies for 4-5 euro, your average DVD boxset of a series will cost minimum 20 euro, a trip to the cinema costs around a tenner, 10 euro a month or 120 euro a year for Netflix is great value when you consider that some people pay that per month for TV subscriptions. I also don't feel like I'm just paying for the content, I'm paying for the constant availability, I can pull out my phone whenever I want and watch Netflix,and I'm also paying towards Netflix's original content.

Exactly. April was a pretty slow month for me on Netflix. I only watched 3 films and Kimmy Schmidt. The box set of Kimmy Schmidt S1 is £14.99 on Amazon. Even leaving aside the conversion to Euro and P&P I'm still saving money there, and would be if my fee was €10.99

This conversation seems to keep popping up every few weeks here. I know other regions have better content film wise but even just looking at the Netflix original content, even only watching half of it, it's still good value for money.

But people still do all that stuff along with having Netflix. People have sky, go to the cinema, buy DVDs. Netflix doesn't replace any of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

But people still do all that stuff along with having Netflix. People have sky, go to the cinema, buy DVDs. Netflix doesn't replace any of those things.

I'm not saying it replaces them, but an extra tenner on top of that isn't much considering what you get in return.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Has anyone experienced new content appearing and disappearing from Irish Netflix? I'm sceptical but my mother says she started watching something called American Odyssey the other night. Then she went down to make a cup of a tea and when she came back it had vanished from the catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Has anyone experienced new content appearing and disappearing from Irish Netflix? I'm sceptical but my mother says she started watching something called American Odyssey the other night. Then she went down to make a cup of a tea and when she came back it had vanished from the catalogue.

It could have been just been about to expire, if it came back maybe it was just an error. I found xmen the last day even though it wasn't in the catalogue, kind of annoyed they don't have x-2 though.

Ya I was in the middle of watching Zena warrior princess, had a good few episodes left and they got rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,356 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Netflix replaced cable tv for me. Just have it and Saorview now. And no more DVD player either - years since I've bought one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭George Michael

8-10 wrote: »
    Netflix replaced cable tv for me. Just have it and Saorview now. And no more DVD player either - years since I've bought one

thats what i intend doing. getting rid of sky account. just have the free to air channels and netflix

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

nicki11 wrote: »
    It could have been just been about to expire, if it came back maybe it was just an error. I found xmen the last day even though it wasn't in the catalogue, kind of annoyed they don't have x-2 though.

No it was only recently added. My best guess is that they made an error adding it to the Irish catalogue and pulled it.

Fantastic Four added to Netflix Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

This conversation seems to keep popping up every few weeks here. I know other regions have better content film wise but even just looking at the Netflix original content, even only watching half of it, it's still good value for money.

Going through the list earlier on I was surprised with how good the selection is on Netflix compared to how it looked when I first joined a year and a half back.

Canada still beats out as having the most varied but compared to some other regions Ireland and the UK is still dam good. The Disney/Pixar removals were a big blow though.

Going through the list earlier on I was surprised with how good the selection is on Netflix compared to how it looked when I first joined a year and a half back.

Canada still beats out as having the most varied but compared to some other regions Ireland and the UK is still dam good. The Disney/Pixar removals were a big blow though.

I think Canada gets more new releases than we do but I assume there's no equivalent of Sky buying up all the rights there. If you want to see things a few weeks after they leave the cinema Netflix Ireland isn't the one for you but for a more varied collection it's not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

The new Star wars was to be added to Netflix Canada. Some weird exclusive deal they got. I recall reading about it before the film came out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

I'm not saying it replaces them, but an extra tenner on top of that isn't much considering what you get in return.

Not initially but after a year the new content worth watching doesn't exactly get added fast enough to give that same value. As you see in this thread people have to try scrounge different stuff from different regions so clearly they're not getting enough from that monthly fee to Netflix Ireland.

That tenner a month seem less and less worth it to me as time goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Maybe not for you. Netflix has completely replaced Sky/UPC and buying DVDs for me. A tenner a month to them is probably still €100 less than what I was paying a couple of years ago

Not initially but after a year the new content worth watching doesn't exactly get added fast enough to give that same value. As you see in this thread people have to try scrounge different stuff from different regions so clearly they're not getting enough from that monthly fee to Netflix Ireland.

That tenner a month seem less and less worth it to me as time goes on.

If I want to watch a newer high-profile film I'll have to rent it on Google Play, definitely (or just use Showbox if I'm feeling cheap), but I also have a taste for lots of obscure stuff that Netflix does get, personally.

I'm an outlier though, I used to buy a lot of DVDs in HMV. Netflix has enough TV shows and films I want to watch to save me tons that way, I just have to add in Google Play rentals for recent films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Occono wrote: »
    If I want to watch a newer film I'll have to rent it on Google Play, definitely (or just use Showbox if I'm feeling cheap), but I also have a taste for lots of obscure stuff that Netflix does get, personally.

I'm an outlier though, I used to buy a lot of DVDs in HMV. Netflix has enough TV shows and films I want to watch to save me tons that way, I just have to add in Google Play rentals for recent films.

TV shows are the big thing for me. Netflix don't have many of the big popular shows. What series they do have don't get updated until after TV airings. So for most of what I want to see I have to view it elsewhere. Netflix doesn't really save me much it's just some extra older content. If I didn't have it I wouldn't be missing much I don't think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

TV shows are the big thing for me. Netflix don't have many of the big popular shows. What series they do have don't get updated until after TV airings. So for most of what I want to see I have to view it elsewhere. Netflix doesn't really save me much it's just some extra older content. If I didn't have it I wouldn't be missing much I don't think.

Daredevil, Better Call Saul, House of Cards, OITNB, Making a Murderer are just a few Netflix made shows that can rival anything on tv.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement