Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Separate threads for film & TV
    Has The Americans been on Irish netflix at all? I don't remember seeing it but I don't remember it being on Sky either or any of the channels that would prevent it being on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,621 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Has The Americans been on Irish netflix at all? I don't remember seeing it but I don't remember it being on Sky either or any of the channels that would prevent it being on Netflix.

ITV have it on ITV Encore channel and RTE 2 has it or at least had it.

ITV have it on ITV Encore channel and RTE 2 has it or at least had it.

They're not the kind of channels that would get exclusive rights, are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,621 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They're not the kind of channels that would get exclusive rights, are they?

ITV Encore bought exclusive rights for it in the UK. not sure about RTE they show it here in the summer.

ITV Encore bought exclusive rights for it in the UK. not sure about RTE they show it here in the summer.

That might explain why it's not on Netflix then. I saw S2 boxset in my local library the other day. Can't get S1 anywhere. Should have watched it when I could still travel.

• Advertisement

Would Amazon Prime having something effect it being on Netflix? They seem to lump us in with the UK when it comes to things like that despite Prime not being available here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Watched the first episode of Power. Wasn't impressed, seems like by the numbers drug gang stuff. Someone compared it to The Wire but I couldn't see the comparison.

Watched Hinterland, Welsh cop detective solving murders. It's a bit heavy on the drama but it's worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Would Amazon Prime having something effect it being on Netflix? They seem to lump us in with the UK when it comes to things like that despite Prime not being available here.

Yes, it would. There's no official Irish distributor for Mr. Robot, for example, as it's an Amazon exclusive in the UK. I guess RTÉ could buy it but honestly saving the money for original Irish programming is a better use of the license fee, in my opinion.
    That might explain why it's not on Netflix then. I saw S2 boxset in my local library the other day. Can't get S1 anywhere. Should have watched it when I could still travel.

The Americans was never on Netflix US anyway, Amazon bought the exclusive license. Maybe in the UK too.
    TV shows are the big thing for me. Netflix don't have many of the big popular shows. What series they do have don't get updated until after TV airings. So for most of what I want to see I have to view it elsewhere. Netflix doesn't really save me much it's just some extra older content. If I didn't have it I wouldn't be missing much I don't think.

There's so much television made just in America alone every year, on top of the entire history of television shows that some people will want, that Netflix would never have everything. They do a great job picking out what I personally want to watch anyway.

Sky not having Now TV available here to watch Game of Thrones on is just a waste, I'd get it for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Watched Hush last night!!! Definitely recommend it - I've seen a lot of thriller/horror movies but nothing as original as this. Really enjoyed it :)

Bad Neighbours got added today for anyone interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Occono wrote: »

To the Irish one?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,356 ✭✭✭✭8-10

thats what i intend doing. getting rid of sky account. just have the free to air channels and netflix

If you have a box like Apple TV or Roku it's really way easier to get away from Sky/UPC than you'd imagine. I have a few paid subscriptions to streaming sites like Netflix, MLB.tv and HBO GO as well as iTunes for latest movies and that's all I need and I just pay for broadband.

Back on topic I watched The Confessions of Thomas Quick yesterday on Irish Netflix. It's one of those documentary films where you really get more out of it the less you know when you're watching so I won't say much other than its a true crime documentary mainly with present day interviews but also some older footage from the time. It was a big case in Sweden.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    To the Irish one?

Yes. For some reason though it's just called "Neighbours".

http://www.netflix.com/title/70297085

Also It's Always Sunny season 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed this. There's one brilliant joke which I won't spoil. It's not a classic by any means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

8-10 wrote: »
    If you have a box like Apple TV or Roku it's really way easier to get away from Sky/UPC than you'd imagine. I have a few paid subscriptions to streaming sites like Netflix, MLB.tv and HBO GO as well as iTunes for latest movies and that's all I need and I just pay for broadband.

Back on topic I watched The Confessions of Thomas Quick yesterday on Irish Netflix. It's one of those documentary films where you really get more out of it the less you know when you're watching so I won't say much other than its a true crime documentary mainly with present day interviews but also some older footage from the time. It was a big case in Sweden.
    Just watched that Thomas Quick doc. Jeez, unbelievable! Would recommend for anyone who liked The Imposter

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Last night I watched "In Enemy Hands"(2004) - a World War II submarine film.

An American submarine is sunk by a German U-boat and its surviving crew are taken aboard the latter. However, the US captain has contacted meningitis which spreads like wildfire amongst both German and Americans alike....

Interesting enough, but don't view it expecting "Das Boot". 6/10

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Yes. For some reason though it's just called "Neighbours".

http://www.netflix.com/title/70297085

Also It's Always Sunny season 11.
    That was the American title. Presumably changed so people wouldn't confuse it with the soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

10 a month i would still consider good value. whenever i am stuck for watching something i turn on netflix and find something

I have to say i am watching it less and less now especally since i cant go on holidays anymore. I think i have only kept it for there original programming.

Calvary is expiring tomorrow if anyone still has to catch it on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,121 ✭✭✭✭flazio

As ridiculous as the premise is, I'm quite enjoying iZombie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed this. There's one brilliant joke which I won't spoil. It's not a classic by any means.

Are you going to go see Bad Neighbours two? It's in the cinema now.

Ya I'm really struggling to find things to watch and especially shows I've never seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Just finished Peaky Blinders Series 2. Brilliant, a bit too violent in parts, but brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

fin12 wrote: »
    Are you going to go see Bad Neighbours two? It's in the cinema now.

I wasn't going to as it seems like a fairly straightforward retread, also I actually found the 'joke' in the trailer where the girl goes through the windscreen of the car a bit offensive. I don't thing there's any way you can make that sort of thing funny.

BUT saying that I have heard some interesting things so I might pop long, I have an unlimited card anyway. Have you seen it?

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I wasn't going to as it seems like a fairly straightforward retread, also I actually found the 'joke' in the trailer where the girl goes through the windscreen of the car a bit offensive. I don't thing there's any way you can make that sort of thing funny.

BUT saying that I have heard some interesting things so I might pop long, I have an unlimited card anyway. Have you seen it?

No but I probably will cause I liked the first one. Not much else in the cinema at da moment, Captain America new film might be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just finished Peaky Blinders Series 2. Brilliant, a bit too violent in parts, but brilliant!

Season 3 has just started on BBC2 on Thursday nights.

Episode 1 was on last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Season 3 has just started on BBC2 on Thursday nights.

Episode 1 was on last week.

Watched it last night! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

At the risk of veering off topic: Anyone here care to report on their experiences with amazon prime?

Went to watch ripper street on netflix and its gone, given the paucity of stuff that I actually enjoy on netflix I'm thinking of trying prime instead

Also: the twisted sister documentary is worth watching, they're ridiculous but dee snider was one hell of a force as a front man, plus there's a running theme of how often record deals fell through on them that's spinal tapesque in its silliness. (one record company owner flew over to the US and signed them then he died of a heart attack on the flight back)

You can't get Amazon Prime in Ireland, can you?

• Advertisement

You can't get Amazon Prime in Ireland, can you?

You can no problem, no need for a vpn or anything, though if you want the US version you need to sign up on the .com, there's no accessing of other content as you are locked to country you register

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement