Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Separate threads for film & TV
    iniall wrote: »
    Netflix's movie selection looks like it's going to get quite a bit better:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/netflix-will-soon-be-the-only-place-to-find-disney-mar-1778397216

(Assuming it applies to Netflix Ireland as well...)

It won't. The deal was made back in 2012. US only.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/04/technology/netflix-disney/

We have The Winter Soldier so Civil War will probably show up eventually but not as soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Watched The Chosen Ones (Las Elegidas) on Irish Netflix last night, really great Mexican arthouse drama about a young teenager forced into prostitution. Spanish with English subtitles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Watched The Chosen Ones (Las Elegidas) on Irish Netflix last night, really great Mexican arthouse drama about a young teenager forced into prostitution. Spanish with English subtitles.

Netflix keeps recommending documentaries on prostitutes and other such sex jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Ageyev wrote: »
    Netflix keeps recommending documentaries on prostitutes and other such sex jobs.

Oh good, it's not just me :o

This is a quality drama film though, not action-packed but very well made.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,121 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Fun for all the family.
    EDIT: Wedwood you could have just edited rather than deleting and reposting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Netflix recommends under 'Wacky Films' I watch Kung Fu Panda, Chicken Run and Nymphomaniac parts 1 and 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Netflix is so crap at the moment, can't find a thing to watch. Any film they add I've nearly always seen them.

Just saw the Bloodlines Season 2 will be available from 27th May. Half way through Season 1 and it's pretty good, if a little slow at times.

Just saw Mindhunters on Irish Netflix. Fun film about a group of criminal profilers trying to escape a series for traps set by a killer.

Bloodlines is wonderful. It's oh so very slow moving, but you don't watch it for the action, of which there is little to none. You watch it for the story, for the characters, and for just how incredible Kyle Chandler is, and for the mounting tension as the show builds and builds.

Very excited about season 2.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I gave up on Bloodlines after 2 episodes, not intentionally, I just sort of forgot about it. Must try and get through it once I've finished The Americans.

I gave up on Bloodlines after 2 episodes, not intentionally, I just sort of forgot about it. Must try and get through it once I've finished The Americans.

Just go in knowing that it is slow burning. I'd compare it to the wonderful Rectify, which I really need to catch up on, where you don't watch it for anything else but for how good the rest of it is.

• Advertisement

Just go in knowing that it is slow burning. I'd compare it to the wonderful Rectify, which I really need to catch up on, where you don't watch it for anything else but for how good the rest of it is.

Ah, Rectify, which I also forgot I was in the middle of watching :D

I don't usually mind a slow burner but these two just lost me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's one of those shows isn't it. Myself and wife both love it, but we still haven't managed to watch all of season 1 yet, have about 2 left.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's one of those shows isn't it. Myself and wife both love it, but we still haven't managed to watch all of season 1 yet, have about 2 left.

Yeah, I mean I didn't not like the 2 episodes I watched, I just never went back to watch more. :D
    I'm not a great binge watcher, don't have the attention span, so if it doesn't catch me straight away I'm probably not going to go back to it.

I love shows that are designed to be binged watched. Bojack Horesman is a great example, where the events of the previous episode are directly continued on into the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭tigger123

I love shows that are designed to be binged watched. Bojack Horesman is a great example, where the events of the previous episode are directly continued on into the next one.

Going to give the new Season a go, but can't say I was blown away by the previous episodes. Thought the concept was fantastic, but the jokes just weren't strong enough. And the Christmas special ... :confused:

The thing with Bojack Horseman is that I don't think you necessarily have to find the jokes laugh out loud funny. I see it as being a show about a person going through an extended crisis.

The thing with Bojack Horseman is that I don't think you necessarily have to find the jokes laugh out loud funny. I see it as being a show about a person going through an extended crisis.

A humorous drama?

tigger123 wrote: »
    A humorous drama?

That would be a lot closer. I definitely wouldn't refer to it as a comedy, as such. It's definitely a surrealist drama with humorous elements.

I mean, there's parts where I genuinely felt for Horseman, especially in Season 2, which I won't get into. It's probably because, as odd as it sounds, I can relate to him in many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

And both have the wonderful Abigal Spencer.:o

Rectify is a masterpiece for me, but I really thought Bloodlines wasn't that great if at times it did look like it would be amazing. Its a cracking cast and I love the premise, but just didn't rock my world.

I will give season 2 a go though.

tigger123 wrote: »
    Going to give the new Season a go, but can't say I was blown away by the previous episodes. Thought the concept was fantastic, but the jokes just weren't strong enough. And the Christmas special ... :confused:

No love for Vincent Adultman?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Cancelled my membership today i just wasnt watching it at all. i never thought i say that a few months ago.

That would be a lot closer. I definitely wouldn't refer to it as a comedy, as such. It's definitely a surrealist drama with humorous elements.

I mean, there's parts where I genuinely felt for Horseman, especially in Season 2, which I won't get into. It's probably because, as odd as it sounds, I can relate to him in many ways.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Plus it's Will Arnett.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    No love for Vincent Adultman?:eek:

That was hilarious actually!

sky88 wrote: »
    Cancelled my membership today i just wasnt watching it at all. i never thought i say that a few months ago.

Yeah will be doing the same next month, was meant to do it for this month, but totally forgot about it. I like the service and I don't like some hate them for stopping us travelling as it was out of their hands but just not happy with the content or lack off it in the last few months, and yeah that is across the board sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I would cancel but I made the mistake of introducing my mother to Netflix and now she's mad for it. At least my sub is getting some use.

Only thing I've watched on it this week has been a few of the most recent episodes of Jonathan Creek. Not a patch on the original run.

I can understand people saying the never watch anything on it anymore if it's a case of just not having the time. I find it hard to believe though that it's possible to have watched every single thing worth watching on it.

I can understand people saying the never watch anything on it anymore if it's a case of just not having the time. I find it hard to believe though that it's possible to have watched every single thing worth watching on it.

Honestly for me at the moment there is nothing, I have gone to my own dvd collection to watch stuff now in the evening, it's gone terrible. Was the last film they added bad neighbours that was like 2 or 3 weeks ago. It's crap when ur paying for a service and there is literally nothing to watch.

fin12 wrote: »
    Honestly for me at the moment there is nothing, I have gone to my own dvd collection to watch stuff now in the evening, it's gone terrible. Was the last film they added bad neighbours that was like 2 or 3 weeks ago. It's crap when ur paying for a service and there is literally nothing to watch.

There's been 111 additions in May, so far.

We don't need to have this conversation again, it's up to the individual if they think it would value for money or not. I just find it hard to believe there is "literally" nothing to watch.

There's been 111 additions in May, so far.

We don't need to have this conversation again, it's up to the individual if they think it would value for money or not. I just find it hard to believe there is "literally" nothing to watch.

Well there is nothing for me to watch at the moment, I'm not speaking for anyone else, Because there have been great things that I have watched in the past that's why it would be hard for me to leave. It's just annoying when I really do want to watch something go through the whole site and can't find anything to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

I think the problem is people are hoping for the newest or the more popular movies i.e the previous poster mentioning that the last movie he noticed being added was Bad Neighbours which was two weeks back or thereabouts.

People sometimes tend to neglect the smaller independent movies or documentries like myself nearly missing out on tracks a movie which I would've missed not for Netflix or Mommy which was one of the best movies I've seen all year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement