Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Cowboy Bepop July 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Finished watching Happy Valley and, wow, what a show. Such incredible performances!

One of the best TV shows I've watched in a while. I hope they soon get around too adding season 2 over here. They already have season 2 on Netflix Canada.

Completely agree with their customer service being superb. Have had to deal with them once or twice and had nothing but excellent experience with their reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Separate threads for film & TV

Gilmore Girls coming to Netflix worldwide July 1st.

Also, Blue Ruin is leaving soon, I would suggest everyone catch that before it goes.

And Jimmy's Hall is leaving today. https://www.netflix.com/title/80013609

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

some july highlights

The Returned/les revenants: Season 2 – Monday 11th July
    Fargo: Season 2 – Wednesday 13th July
    BoJack Horseman: Season 3 – Friday 22nd July

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,439 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Found season two of The Returned disappointingly inert and confused. Some good stuff, but far less than the stellar original run of episodes.

As previously mentioned, though, anybody interested in modern television at its very, very best should watch Fargo season 2 :)

Very excited about the return of BoJack Horseman.

As previously mentioned, though, anybody interested in modern television at its very, very best should watch Fargo season 2 :)

except episode 9

star trek deep space 9 (7 seasons) and star trek enterprise (4 seasons) added to irish netflix today

Magnificent! DS9 is such an underrated gem in the Trek franchise, I've always believed. Especially in the later seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Marco Polo season two is available from July 1st.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Found season two of The Returned disappointingly inert and confused. Some good stuff, but far less than the stellar original run of episodes.

I agree, about both.

There were individual episodes of The Returned S2 that were great and felt like S1 but overall it wasn't as good. I don't know if watching it week by week had anything to do with that, having watched S1 on DVD.

The Diary of a Teenage Girl added to Ireland today. Heard nothing but good things about it when it was released. Looking forward to watching it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Good batch of stuff added, good to see.

Watched Fundamentals of Caring last night and enjoyed it well enough though it's very very cliched, cloyingly sentimental and contrived at times. Rudd and the guy from Submarine are likable enough to just about keep it afloat though and there was good chemistry between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Good batch of stuff added, good to see.

Watched Fundamentals of Caring last night and enjoyed it well enough though it's very very cliched, cloyingly sentimental and contrived at times. Rudd and the guy from Submarine are likable enough to just about keep it afloat though and there was good chemistry between them.

Fell apart in the third act for me but overall I enjoyed. The introduction of the
    pregnant character
    was utterly superfluous imo. But the chemistry between Rudd and Roberts helped to stop it from being too saccharine and gave me some genuine laughs throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

peteeeed wrote: »
    star trek deep space 9 (7 seasons) and star trek enterprise (4 seasons) added to irish netflix today

Next Generation is also back along with the Original Series and the animated series.

So all the Star Trek tv shows are now on Netflix.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thinking on it, bar the original series, I've never watched any version of Star Trek in sequence like I've dropped in and out of a series ad-hoc but never just starting at season 1 and watching all the way through. Guess I've no excuse now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Where would anyone recommend starting from Deep Space Nine, Voyager or Enterprise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Where would anyone recommend starting from Deep Space Nine, Voyager or Enterprise.

DS9. It was the best of the shows. Yes, even better than TNG.

Voyager had its moments – terrific pilot and lot of potential esp in early seasons – but was mainly TNG lite. I gave up on Enterprise after one season.

DS9. It was the best of the shows. Yes, even better than TNG.

Voyager had its moments – terrific pilot and lot of potential esp in early seasons – but was mainly TNG lite. I gave up on Enterprise after one season.

My brother used to watch all the Star Treks when we were kids, I hated them all, except DS9. Not sure what it was about it, maybe the fact that they were generally stationary?

That's my 10c anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

They've also added the French series A Very Secret Service and the NBC series American Odyssey.

Crazy Ex Girlfriend arrives tomorrow, Spotless arrives on Saturday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

My brother used to watch all the Star Treks when we were kids, I hated them all, except DS9. Not sure what it was about it, maybe the fact that they were generally stationary?

Essentially, that was the reason. Instead of exploring the galaxy by visiting a different planet every week, in DS9 "the galaxy" in form of different races etc came to the station. And the problems they brought with them and the conflicts they caused didn't go away. There was no restoration of the status quo at the end of every episode because the station couldn't go anywhere. There was no escaping the problems of Bajor or the Cardassians or the wormhole. They had to be picked up again next week.

Essentially, that was the reason. Instead of exploring the galaxy by visiting a different planet every week, in DS9 "the galaxy" in form of different races etc came to the station. And the problems they brought with them and the conflicts they caused didn't go away. There was no restoration of the status quo at the end of every episode because the station couldn't go anywhere. There was no escaping the problems of Bajor or the Cardassians or the wormhole. They had to be picked up again next week.

Yeah, that's probably it. The other series are slightly procedural in nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Always found DS9 a complete bore. It was like watching an office drama or something. Dull as dishwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

DS 9 also often had some good comic scenes, especially between Odo and Quark, or even between Quark and anyone really.

Forget DS9 and go out and find the show it ripped off Babylon 5 :p

Sadly Babylon 5 is only available on itunes outside of Ireland or DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

I'm going to try and watch all the Star Trek - it's getting the time before they go is another question.

Radio Times have picked their 10 best Star Trek episodes to watch for someone who isn't a fan of the franchise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Forget DS9 and go out and find the show it ripped off Babylon 5 :p

Sadly Babylon 5 is only available on itunes outside of Ireland or DVD.

I totally skipped out of these mid-late 90s sci-fi shows. Like others. I've always wanted to dive into Star Trek, Babylon 5 too, whatever Farscape and Firefly were, even Earth 2!

I'm glad the Star Trek is available on Netflix. Shall give a few of them a bash.

I've only watch the first Star Trek film reboot - is it worth watching the others as a taster or do they link in with the Next Gen series?

Ageyev wrote: »
    I totally skipped out of these mid-late 90s sci-fi shows. Like others. I've always wanted to dive into Star Trek, Babylon 5 too, whatever Farscape and Firefly were, even Earth 2!

I'm glad the Star Trek is available on Netflix. Shall give a few of them a bash.

I've only watch the first Star Trek film reboot - is it worth watching the others as a taster or do they link in with the Next Gen series?

The new films are fun for what they are but they don't link to any of the tv series at all.

Earth 2 is a fun show it was on Netflix when it first arrived in Ireland so it may reappear again sometime.

• Advertisement

What I've enjoyed the most about DS9 is that it wasn't about exploration or encountering new races and all that you'd get with the other Treks, but about intrigue, political maneuvering, and everything else. Plus, in my opinion, Gul Dukat still remains one of the better antagonists in the show. It was also extremely character focused, arguably more so than previous ones, because their stationary position in the Universe meant they had to build on these more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement