Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Separate threads for film & TV
    Marco Polo season 2 added today.

Bill Hicks: Revelations added to Netflix Ireland.

Back to the Future 1-3 added to Netflix US.

Lethal Weapon 1-4 added to Netflix US.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Earth 2 is a fun show it was on Netflix when it first arrived in Ireland so it may reappear again sometime.

I think Earth 2 is on YouTube. I watched the pilot of it a few weeks ago. I remember watching it on Sky when I was younger. Watching it again it struck me that there's a few similarities with The 100 in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Ageyev wrote:
    I totally skipped out of these mid-late 90s sci-fi shows. Like others. I've always wanted to dive into Star Trek, Babylon 5 too, whatever Farscape and Firefly were, even Earth 2!

Firefly is also on netflix and there are only a dozen or so episodes, well worth a watch.

New Netflix original series Stranger Things is coming on July 15.

Looks interesting. Second trailer shows a bit more than the 1st.
    A love letter to the supernatural classics of the 80's, Stranger Things is the story of a young boy who vanishes into thin air. As friends, family and local police search for answers, they are drawn into an extraordinary mystery involving top-secret government experiments, terrifying supernatural forces and one very strange little girl.

There's actually already a thread for Stranger Things.

Looks really interesting though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3834000/

Spotless has just showed up today I think, 3 episodes in and its pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

A Very Secret Service, Between Season 2, a Jim Jeffries special and Gilmore Girls added today.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Watched The Resurrection of Jake "The Snake" Roberts last night. Amazing stuff right there.

You wouldn't need to be a wrestling fan to enjoy this. It's about his constant battle with addiction of alcohol and drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Watched "Slow West" last night. I recommend it, hadn't heard of it before.

Occono wrote: »

Watched that a while ago when it first popped up on Netflix. Really enjoyed it.
    Westerns are one of those genres that have developed a bit of a bad rep over the years. Slow West does a lot to remedy that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,356 ✭✭✭✭8-10

seiphil wrote: »
    Watched The Resurrection of Jake "The Snake" Roberts last night. Amazing stuff right there.

You wouldn't need to be a wrestling fan to enjoy this. It's about his constant battle with addiction of alcohol and drugs.

Agreed. I think wrestling is pretty ridiculous but I really enjoyed this doc. Recommended

Watched The Fundamentals of Caring there this afternoon.

Agree with what others have said about it. Pretty well worn plot but Rudd and Roberts have good chemistry and the script doesn't go too far into the sentimental stuff. I also really enjoyed hearing Selena Gomez say "giant f**king pussy" about 6 times in a minute. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Watched that a while ago when it first popped up on Netflix. Really enjoyed it.
    Westerns are one of those genres that have developed a bit of a bad rep over the years. Slow West does a lot to remedy that.

I have said before and will say it again, the ending where
    she shots the wide eyed lad all casually is the ultimate friend zoned moment which will never not be funny

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I have said before and will say it again, the ending where
    she shots the wide eyed lad all casually is the ultimate friend zoned moment which will never not be funny

When that happened, after I stopped laughing, my first response was "you deserved that, you plank!"

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Marco Polo not getting any love? Think it's a quality show. Nobody seems to watch it though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Just finished Marseille last night. Worth a watch if only for Gerard Depardieu's on-screen daughter. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Marco Polo not getting any love? Think it's a quality show. Nobody seems to watch it though :(

I gave it an honest try & went in fairly blind, but found it an aimless, dull mess that was pretty shamelessly trying to copy the Game of Thrones template of sexed-up court intrigue. Benedict Wong was pretty great though. Am slightly surprised it got a season 2, but then given Netflix refuses to release its viewing figures who knows how successful these things are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Between series 2 up now

Between series 2 up now

What is it? Is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

What is it? Is it any good?

Between is the story of a town under siege from a mysterious disease that has wiped out everybody 22 years and older. The series explores the power vacuum that results when a government has quarantined a 10-mile diameter area and left the inhabitants to fend for themselves.

It's a decent show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

I'm quite enjoying Off Camera, which was added last week
    Its a series of interviews with interesting guests like Tony Hawk, Martin Short, Robert Downey Junior.
    Its different to the usual Netflix stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Occono wrote: »

Nice one, good film!

Between is the story of a town under siege from a mysterious disease that has wiped out everybody 22 years and older. The series explores the power vacuum that results when a government has quarantined a 10-mile diameter area and left the inhabitants to fend for themselves.

It's a decent show

It sounds like The 100 except with a slightly older upper age limit.

Short Term 12 is leaving UK/Ireland on the 8th of this month. If you haven't seen it yet it's very much worth checking out.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched Diary of a Teenage Girl last night, really great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Started watching the Netflix original 'Between'. It's Lord of the Flies but with 22yr olds. Decent enough first few episodes but I'm kinda losing interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

Really enjoyed spotless from episode 1 onwards. Normally when I watch a series I lose interest after 3 or 4 episode s. Not this time.
    I'm gonna watch the last 2 episodes today.

Watched Belle tonight. (directed by Amma Asante, as part of my 52 Films By Women quest)

Based on the true story of the daughter of a gentleman and a slave brought up by her Great Uncle and his family in England in the late 1700's. Takes some minor liberties with actual history in regards the court case it features but is a refreshing take on the period drama with a great central performance from Gugu Mbatha-Raw.

I'd recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ShadyAcres wrote: »
    Really enjoyed spotless from episode 1 onwards. Normally when I watch a series I lose interest after 3 or 4 episode s. Not this time.
    I'm gonna watch the last 2 episodes today.

Exact opposite: enjoyed the early episodes and the premise but once they abandoned that I found myself skimming through it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Watched Art of Conflict, narrated by Vince Vaughan. It's a good documentary, looks at the troubles in Northern Ireland and is told through the the history of the murals.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement