Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Separate threads for film & TV
    Wrecked this morning after binge-watching American Odyssey. It's a gripper.... :)

Watched Cartel Land over the weekend. It's an interesting enough documentary, which follows two separate militia leaders - one in the US and one in Mexico, as they both battle against the Cartels in their own way.

Also.. watched some of season 2 of Between. I'm not sure if I'll make it the rest of the season. It's falling into the mopey trap that you often see YA content fall into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

The Help leaving today.

The Invitation has been added.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

How do you find out what is coming to the Irish Netflix? I remember there being a website but can't find it.

Will season 3 of Peaky Blinders be added anytime soon? I think it's on the US site.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Occono wrote: »
    The Help leaving today.

The Invitation is supposed to be pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

macslash wrote: »
    How do you find out what is coming to the Irish Netflix? I remember there being a website but can't find it.

Will season 3 of Peaky Blinders be added anytime soon? I think it's on the US site.

there quite a few like this one

http://vodzilla.co/vod-release-dates/

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Occono wrote: »
    The Help leaving today.

Enjoyed The Help glad I watched it before it left. Also watched a great Italian movie last week Malena from the director of Cinema Paradiso. Great score by Enrico Morricone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,439 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I watched The Invitation the other night. For a while in the middle, I thought it was being a quite brave and surprising film that used misdirection and uncertainty to tell a smart, personal story about being consumed by grief. Unfortunately, I think a lot of what happens in the final act undermines that - basically, it would have a considerably more adventurous and surprising film if it wrapped up on some of the notes it was exploring in the middle.

Not a bad film, all-in-all, as it maintains a solid tension throughout and even if it can't quite sustain itself through to the end credits, the rest of the film still explores its thematic focus pretty articulately at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

The Fundamentals of Caring

Nice, feelgood film. Easy watch. Paul Rudd plays............Paul Rudd. "bite the Jaaaaames". But that's not a bad thing. Recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The Fundamentals of Caring

Nice, feelgood film. Easy watch. Paul Rudd plays............Paul Rudd. "bite the Jaaaaames". But that's not a bad thing. Recommended!
    Yeah, watched at weekend too. First half was great, and then it got a bit too hokey.. but Rudd and the underated Craig Roberts were superb!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Is Force Majure worth a watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Ageyev wrote: »
    Is Force Majure worth a watch?

Absolutely. I don't want to get in to a review, but I thought it was very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

This was very good. I'm guessing many others have described it as 'Bergman-esque' so I might as well roll in and say its a bit Bergman-y.

Just listened to this philosophy/psychology/ethics podcast reviewing it which is worth a listen if you're into deep readings of film - Very Bad Wizards.

Here's the YouTube video the director got the idea from:

Strong recommendation if you like your drama very intense and interpersonal and all that.

fargo season 2 added today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Second this. It's well worth watching

new netflix series 'stranger things' added to all regions today , getting decent reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Watched "Surfwise" last night about Dorian ‘Doc' Paskowitz who turned his back on regular society in order to surf and raise his 9 children with his wife in various motor homes over the years.

Really crazy story, quite the character with so many layers, he has a somewhat idealist philosophy, much of which makes sense when explained in black and white, but the application of his philosophy has had quite the impact on those closest to him (like any parents impact to the life of their children I suppose!) ........well worth the watch IMO.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

gucci wrote: »
    Watched "Surfwise" last night about Dorian ‘Doc' Paskowitz who turned his back on regular society in order to surf and raise his 9 children with his wife in various motor homes over the years.

Really crazy story, quite the character with so many layers, he has a somewhat idealist philosophy, much of which makes sense when explained in black and white, but the application of his philosophy has had quite the impact on those closest to him (like any parents impact to the life of their children I suppose!) ........well worth the watch IMO.

Yeah really good documentary and quite unsettling.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Watched the first 2 episodes of Stranger Things this morning. Pretty good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

I've a **** load of documentaries on my watch list thanks to this thread. Never going to get through them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I would strongly advise against watching NSU German History X. I'm generally a fan of skinhead films, but the lack of editing in this show was pretty dire. The lead actress breaking the fourth wall is painfully hamfisted too.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

American Ninja 1 & 2 re-added to Netflix Ireland for anyone getting all 80's nostalgic after watching Stranger Things.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

American Ninja 1 & 2 re-added to Netflix Ireland for anyone getting all 80's nostalgic after watching Stranger Things.

Off topic but The Lighthouse are doing a "Films You'd Love Your Kids To See" season at the moment including ET, The Goonies, Flight of The Navigator, Short Circuit, and a whole load more. Pretty good timing as I'd say anyone watching Stranger Things will be feeling to urge to revisit a few of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 expatin africa

Do Netflix cut scenes from films. Just started to watch Munich now and when the terrorists enter d compound the scene cuts to the next day am sure it showed more think I can remember one of them getting a knife in the head and a fellow escaping out d window but showed none of that. Don't want to watch d rest of d movie if parts are cut

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Do Netflix cut scenes from films. Just started to watch Munich now and when the terrorists enter d compound the scene cuts to the next day am sure it showed more think I can remember one of them getting a knife in the head and a fellow escaping out d window but showed none of that. Don't want to watch d rest of d movie if parts are cut

There's flashbacks later in the film showing more of what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 expatin africa

There's flashbacks later in the film showing more of what happened.[/quote

Thanks justs GI to show how long since I seen it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Finished watching dragon blade (Jackie Chan, Adrien Brody, and John Cusack), netflix version is edited from the version I saw before which had some archaeologist trying to find evidence of the Romans in China.

Still liked the film and the archaeologist stuff was weird in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix don't edit they show films and tv shows exactly the way they're given them from the rights holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Finished fundamentals of caring - would highly recommend it

• Advertisement

Varik wrote:
    Still liked the film and the archaeologist stuff was weird in any case.

Finished watching dragon blade (Jackie Chan, Adrien Brody, and John Cusack), netflix version is edited from the version I saw before which had some archaeologist trying to find evidence of the Romans in China.

As with many Asian films, there exists an international edit and a home edit. We often get shorter cuts though in many cases not a whole lot is lost.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement