Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Separate threads for film & TV
    Sicario coming to UK Nerflix on August 1st. Brooklyn on the 8th.

Over The Hedge and Megamind (FINALLY!) on the 15th.

Creed on the 16th.

https://film.list.co.uk/article/82410-new-on-netflix-uk-august-2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

bojack horseman season 3 added today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Creed on the 16th.

Does this mean they'll be coming to Ireland soon after?

Does this mean they'll be coming to Ireland soon after?

It's the same one.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Creed on the 16th.

Haven't seen Sicario or Brooklyn yet. Was meant to go and see Sicario a couple of months back at the cinema. Toss up between The Martian or Sicario but decided to watch The Martian instead. Heard good things about it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I thought Sicario was fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I watched Sicario on a 13 hour flight (after an 8 hour flight) and didn't think it was great. Thought it was missing something. I'll give it a watch again at some stage though as maybe I was tired from all the flying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

watching the first episode of Spotless. Its pretty ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Its something kind of special alright, I love the look and sound of it

I actually really like the opening credits, I sit through them rather forward past them, and I like the 80s synth vibe soundtrack.

How littered is the Online forum discussion with spoilers? It it one of those threads that can't be read until you've watched it all?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I actually really like the opening credits, I sit through them rather forward past them, and I like the 80s synth vibe soundtrack.

How littered is the Online forum discussion with spoilers? It it one of those threads that can't be read until you've watched it all?

They're quite good with spoilering important points and whatnot. General discussion isn't, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think I'll give it a miss so.

BoJack Horseman season 3 is wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Recommend 'Night Owls' with the excellent Adam Pally and the even-better Rosa Salazar. Two very funny leads, great chemistry, largely very good writing for the most part (though bogged down with some clichés in the latter half). Still, definitely worth a watch!

Watched Rise of the Guardians last night.

I only vaguely remember this being released a few years back but don't remember it getting much attention. Basically Santa, the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny and the Sandman are" guardians" chosen by the Man in the Moon.... stick with me.... to protect children. Their powers are derived from the belief children have in them. Enter Pitch Black, who is basically the bogyman, nightmares, fear etc. etc. who starts sabotaging the guardians day jobs which makes children stop believing. The Man in the Moon chooses a new Guardian, Jack Frost, who is a bit of a n'er-do-well and who can't be seen by kids because nobody believes in him, to help Santa and co. defeat Pitch Black.

As crazy as all that sounds it's actually a really fun film. The story is pretty tight if not exactly new, it's fast paced and the animation is really beautiful, especially Jack's ice and Sandman's dreams. It definitely deserved more love at the box office, it didn't even take half of what Madagascar 3 and Ice Age Continental Drift took.

Worth a watch if you've got kids to entertain or even if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Stranger Things

Wow, absolutely brilliant. Best tv show I have seen this year along with Fargo season 2 and Better Call Saul.

Started watching Crazy Ex Girlfriend, based a recommendation from over at the TV forum and, have to say, it's thoroughly delightful.

The best way to know if the humour/style is for you is to watch the intro -

It's pretty much like that.. singing 'n' all.

^ Yeah. I watched 10 minutes of it, and couldn't deal with the singing anymore.. too much!

Basq wrote: »
    ^ Yeah. I watched 10 minutes of it, and couldn't deal with the singing anymore.. too much!

I guess that would be the biggest kicker. As someone who grew up watching musicals, I find it delightful.

I guess that would be the biggest kicker. As someone who grew up watching musicals, I find it delightful.
    Yeah.. don't get me wrong, I like musicals but like them better when they're not overly twee (Dr Horrible as a perfect example)... but hey, different strokes..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Basq wrote: »
    The songs are actually very funny. They're tongue in cheek and some of the videos are excellent spoofs. Lots of different styles used too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

ixoy wrote: »
    The songs are actually very funny. They're tongue in cheek and some of the videos are excellent spoofs. Lots of different styles used too.

I watched it without previously knowing the premise of the show - i.e. musical comedy - as I saw it trending on Netflix. When the main character started singing in the first few minutes of episode 1 I though wtf :pac: .....maybe it's a once off occurrence, but it persisted - with other characters getting in on the act :confused: so I gave up on it as I felt it was too over the top.

But then decided to give it another shot yesterday as a lot of people online are raving about it, and I must say it has grown on me. Sometimes I fast forward the songs if I'm not arsed, but for the most part I watch them (kinda reminds me of Glee season 1 - y'know when it was actually watchable and original - except the songs are not well known, yet still damn catchy).

So yeah, to summarise, thumbs up from me. Nearly finished the season already!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭tigger123

Started watching Crazy Ex Girlfriend, based a recommendation from over at the TV forum and, have to say, it's thoroughly delightful.

The best way to know if the humour/style is for you is to watch the intro -

It's pretty much like that.. singing 'n' all.

I f*cking love Rachel Bloom, cheers for the recommendation :)

Did someone say Fargo S2 was up? Can't find it at all

Synode wrote: »
    Did someone say Fargo S2 was up? Can't find it at all

It's there. It's just under Fargo (the one that looks like a woven blanket thing) and you need to go to episodes and choose S2.

Bizarre. Searched for it on my Fire TV and couldn't find it but just looked on a different computer and it's there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Watched Bright Night the other day. If you arthouse German estoteric pansexual dramas, this is for you! They've also added the Cosmos reboot with Neil Degrasse Tyson, highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

First 2 episodes of Power season 3 now available

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

...This thread should really be renamed or moved to another forum, it's half TV show posts at least now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Occono wrote: »
    ...This thread should really be renamed or moved to another forum, it's half TV show posts at least now.
    Yup, like with Stranger Things recently, I come into this thread for "Film Recommendations", not for discussion of the latest Netflix series that I haven't watched yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement