Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Separate threads for film & TV
    commando and dawn of the planet of the apes added to irish netflix today

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I noticed the fantastic Black Dynamite was added in the last week or so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I noticed the fantastic Black Dynamite was added in the last week or so :D

Yea great movie this scene always cracks me up. Michael Jai White is truly underrated as an actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,356 ✭✭✭✭8-10

peteeeed wrote: »
    commando and dawn of the planet of the apes added to irish netflix today

Really enjoyed this when I saw it on a plane, will be nice to watch again on the TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I thought Dawn was quite weak compared to Rise of the Apes. Both are better than Burton's though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Ageyev wrote: »
    I thought Dawn was quite weak compared to Rise of the Apes. Both are better than Burton's though.

'Dunsten checks in' is better than burton's

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

peteeeed wrote:
    commando

Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Just watched "The Lobster", while its not the best film you'll ever see (and some parts of it are sh*te), theres just something utterly compelling about it, that made me want to watch it till the end. Great to see Colin Farrell take on a dysfunctional type role, sort of stepping outside his comfort zone. A bit similar to when Scarlett Johansson appeared in the sci-fi horror art film "Under The Skin"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Watched The Lobster last night after all the talk of it on here. A bit slow at times but enjoyable all the same

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Think I saw Faults recommended on here earlier in the week, gave it a watch the last night and it was really enjoyable. Probably best to watch knowing as little as possible about it. It starts out quite funny but takes some unexpected turns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Spotless is very good, very good indeed! Tres Bon! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Spotless is very good, very good indeed! Tres Bon! :)

It's brilliant! The older brother is very funny and brings taking one for the team to next level in the finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Charlie19 wrote: »
    It's brilliant! The older brother is very funny and brings taking one for the team to next level in the finale.

Can't think of another comedy thriller like it, very difficult to do I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Commando has not aged well but worth a look as your stereotypical 80s action movie. Thought twas class at the time when I saw it in first year at school (yes you read that correctly, we had a mad teacher!)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Commando hadn't aged well a week after it came out... that's what so glorious about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭Corvo

Any more talk of Commando not aging well, and I'll be letting off some steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It might have dated but it leaves behind some great Gifs

The toolshed Gif is great I won't put it up as it's NSFW.

matrixsuitsup.gif

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Lovely animal documentaries, really enjoyed watching them and Martin Clunes (men behaving badly) seems like such a lovely man and you can really see his love for animals. Would really recommend these documentaries if you love animals.

Martin Clunes Heavy Horsepower.
    Man and Beast with Martin Clunes. 2 episodes.
    Martin Clunes A lion called Mugie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Night of the Comet. Batsh*t crazy 80s zombie flick

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100671231&postcount=7952
    The Night of the Comet

80s haircuts - check
    Red sky/apocalypse - check
    Toshbia tape deck/radio - check
    Zombie science - check
    Classic quotes - check
    Gun fight in a shop - check
    Lead woman who doesn't panic, can drive a motorbike, fight and play a mean arcade game - check, check, check, check

Honestly, this was far better than much of the dross we're served up now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Megamind and Over the Hedge both added today. Two great animated films.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

On he subject of animated films, the kids watched The Little Prince over the weekend, it's a very nice film, but it's a bit of an emotional roller coaster, my wife and daughter both were in tears at different stages.

Don't know if its been mentioned already but Hush (2016) is a great little Indie horror movie. Becomes pretty generic in its second half after opening the first half hour so well, but its a really solid movie all the same 8/10. Its restored my faith in the genre once again after seeing a lot of trash lately. Plus Kate Siegel is really hot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭tigger123

It might have dated but it leaves behind some great Gifs

The toolshed Gif is great I won't put it up as it's NSFW.

matrixsuitsup.gif

giphy.gif

JINNY!!!

This review sums up Commando perfectly :D.

This is by far one of the greatest movies of the century. I can't believe what an awesome movie it is. It has no morals, no lessons to teach, no political statements, no coherence, and no sense whatsoever. When Schwarzeneggar's beloved daughter is kidnapped by a psychotic dictator, he doesn't try to reason with the bad guys or take precautions like most action heroes would. He just goes bonkers and starts killing everyone in sight. The movie is packed with fantastic scenes such as Arnie crashing a car at about 80 mph, without a seatbelt, and being perfectly fine, Arnie tearing a phone booth out of a wall, Arnie punching a guy through a wall, etc. It's gloriously entertaining.

Also, despite his reputation for bad acting, he delivers all his lines with perfect comic timing ("Let off some steam, Bennett"). Bennett is also a great character, but no match for Arnold. You'd have to be completely devoid of personality to not find this at least slightly entertaining.

10/10 stars. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭tigger123

Finally got round to watching Kajaki: The True Story last night, and absolutely loved it, it was amazingly tense. I did end up turning on the subtitles to get round some of the accents (and elements of the sound design).

However;
    I was struck by the closing credits, the way it wrapped up everyone's story and the choice of song: I felt the tone of the ending and the music used gave the whole film a last minute patriotic wash; on the one hand you're watching one of the most gruesome, horrific and tense war movies of the last few years, and then at the very end there's almost a sense of "brave lads wot dunnit for King and Country". Maybe I just thought I was watching an anti-war movie? Be interested for anyone's opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 2 of Gotham has been added to the Irish Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

The latest Rocky film "Creed", and the TV series Zoo, are now on Irish Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Watched The Lobster. Bizarre movie but very enjoyable. The off-beat/dead-pan humour was perfect, particularly in the first half while it's set in the hotel. It wobbles a bit as it moves to the forest (the secret language was hilarious though) and I'm a bit unsure about the way the ended it with the
    blindness. Though the abrupt ending leaves you wondering about their fate.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Occono wrote: »
    The latest Rocky film "Creed", and the TV series Zoo, are now on Irish Netflix.

I caught a bit of that Zoo thing on TV one night the other week, it didn't look good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I caught a bit of that Zoo thing on TV one night the other week, it didn't look good.

Zoo is one of the stupidest shows I've watched in the last 12 months; the premise is daft, the characters walking meat-puppets who act moronically, and the FX is a bit ropey.

Despite that, it's defiantly entertaining all the same if you're willing to laugh with rather than at it. Plus it's the summer months so the pickings are slim.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement