Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Separate threads for film & TV
    day of the dead(remake)
    pans labyrinth
    searching for sugar man
    sharknado
    the wrestler
    added to irish netflix today

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Searching for Sugar man is great too, best to watch it knowing next to nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Searching for Sugar man is great too, best to watch it knowing next to nothing about it.

agreed although ive seen it a couple of times, still amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Pan's Labyrinth added this morning. I've never seen it, is it as good as people say?

Dunno if its as good as people say but it's worth watching. Especially if you like Del Toros other stuff

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

(curiosity aroused - goes immediately to wikipedia!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 ScottScott

Pan's Labyrinth added this morning. I've never seen it, is it as good as people say?

Wow! Great news! I love this film, I'd really like to rewhatching it.
    It's my second Del Toro favorite after The Golden Army

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Original film Arq is showing worldwide on Netflix on September 16th.

Can't beat a good time-loop sci-fi thriller. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Niska

Recommend to avoid: Crack in the World - poor 60's apocalyptic movie about a scientist trying to create an artificial volcano, using a thermo-nuclear bomb to do so. Things don't go well...
    Solid start, but the plot quickly becomes silly, and the set pieces drawn out, and the ending is quite poor. One where I sat through the beginning and felt obliged to see it out.

The best comparison is a below average SciFy movie of the week with slightly better effects...

FOr more info and a more in dept analysis: https://books.google.ie/books?id=bmmrKvOwa_IC&pg=PA22&lpg=PA22&dq=crack+in+the+world+(1965)+A+Guide+to+Apocalyptic+Cinema&source=bl&ots=T35bRwAyrF&sig=cO5JYDHu-zU8DHY7aQsQVcFgAy4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFvZrLqurOAhXpB8AKHY05AzsQ6AEIGzAA#v=onepage&q=crack%20in%20the%20world%20(1965)%20A%20Guide%20to%20Apocalyptic%20Cinema&f=false

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Just watched it there, fantastic!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

watched "who took johnny" last night, wow, was so engrossed in it that was up late researching all kinds of stuff, it's hard to know what to believe but an incredible story nonetheless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Anyone start the new series of Narcos?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Quintis wrote: »
    Anyone start the new series of Narcos?

Yes very good start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Currently halfway through re-watching Prison Break having already seen it when it first aired. Don't think I appreciated it enough!

Excellent series if you haven't seen it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Noveight wrote: »
    Currently halfway through re-watching Prison Break having already seen it when it first aired. Don't think I appreciated it enough!

Excellent series if you haven't seen it yet.

True the first season is one of the best TV shows ever. Have to rematch it myself.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Hannibal Season 1 added to Netflix Ireland. Best version of Hannibal Lecter by a long way and a delightfully screwed up series.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Just finished How To Get Away With Murder. Watchable who-done-it that will keep you guessing up to the last minute.

^ Hannibal sounds like my next choice....

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Hannibal is good. Would recommend.

I knew the storyline from the books/films, so was good to see a new take on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Narcos,cant believe I left it so long to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Broken City is a political thriller - Mark Wahlberg is a PI hired by the mayor to spy on his wife's lover. Intrigue ensues. It's watchable

Hannibal is OK initially but it gets very silly. Gillian Anderson is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Ageyev wrote:
    Broken City is a political thriller - Mark Wahlberg is a PI hired by the mayor to spy on his wife's lover. Intrigue ensues. It's watchable

Just watched this myself now
    I agree it's watchable but I think it's just a little bit drawn out

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If anyone is stressed out and just needs to chill out and relax the mind you could do worse than watching the Slow TV shows.

One is a Knitting Evening

One is a Train Ride from Bergen to Oslo.

One is a Cruise.

Nothing happens at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Hannibal is good. Would recommend.

I knew the storyline from the books/films, so was good to see a new take on them.

Very cinematic show as well. And I know everyone talks about tv being "cinematic" these days, but most of the time they mean it's expensive looking, has big sets, costumes, etc. Tv for the most part is still very stagey with blandly lit multi-camera setups as if they were shooting a sitcom. Hannibal (along with Fargo) is one of the few consistent exceptions.

I always attributed this to the tv producers sitting on directors and/or hiring hacks – which I think is still a big part of it – but Vashi Nedomansky has a great video essay in which he uses the opening scene of Hannibal to show how important the script is:

https://vimeo.com/139780758

Most tv scripts would be just dialogue and emotional beats to guide the actors with little reference to the imagery. But Fuller writes a lot of abstract images and visual direction into his scripts. Which makes me very happy that he's doing the next Star Trek series.

I watched Welcome to the Punch. Passable actioner set in England. James McAvoy plays a secret service cop with a grudge against a bank robber/terrorist type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Knew very little about Janis Joplin but I do now.

Outstanding docu that any music lover should really treat themselves to.

Janis - Little Girl Blue

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Knew very little about Janis Joplin but I do now.

Outstanding docu that any music lover should really treat themselves to.

Janis - Little Girl Blue

I can't watch anything about Janis Joplin without thinking of Jackie Jormpjomp on 30 Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Finished watching Narcos in two days,brilliant, really enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

fin12 wrote: »
    Finished watching Narcos in two days,brilliant, really enjoyed it.

No sleep and lots of caffeine:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ageyev wrote: »
    I watched Welcome to the Punch. Passable actioner set in England. James McAvoy plays a secret service cop with a grudge against a bank robber/terrorist type.

I felt it was an attempt to make the plot of lethal weapon 2 into a gritty brit flick :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Bambi wrote: »
    I felt it was an attempt to make the plot of lethal weapon 2 into a gritty brit flick :D

1794668-2.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement