Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Separate threads for film & TV
    Good news everyone!

Netflix now has Irish categories. Search "Irish" and you'll get Irish Movies and TV shows as an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭nomadchocolate

greenspurs wrote: »
    LAST CHANCE U !! you will watch the 6 in a row .... ;)

I only got as far as 5 in a row!

Have zero interest in American football but that show was compelling.

The poor players - they dangle the NFL dream in front of them, but how often do any of them actually make it? Then they are left with nothing as they have shunned their education.

Does the College pay the players to play for them? Also, what is division 1 football?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Watched the 6 episodes of Glitch last night. Decent but they don't really explain anything at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,629 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Does the College pay the players to play for them? Also, what is division 1 football?

No colleges don't pay the players ;) The is some great 30 for 30 docs on this.

Division 1 as far as I remember is the highest level of sport played a intercollegiate level (NCAA) the best of the best really.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I only got as far as 5 in a row!

Have zero interest in American football but that show was compelling.

The poor players - they dangle the NFL dream in front of them, but how often do any of them actually make it? Then they are left with nothing as they have shunned their education.

Going off topic here, and the regulars in the American Football forum might be able to explain better. There is an NFL draft every year in which the 32 NFL teams pick the best college football seniors to join their teams. There are no "minor" leagues in American football. - aside from the NFL, there is a smaller Canadian pro league (the CFL) and indoor leagues.

Colleges are not allowed to pay players, but do give them incentives such as scholarships (which are worth a multiple of times what they would be in Ireland because of the astronomical costs of college in the States). Division 1 FBS is the top level of college football and what gets shown on TV. Confusingly though it isn't actually a league in itself, but a category into which a number of different leagues fall - the most important is the Southeastern Conference or SEC which is shown here on BT Sport ESPN.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Not only do NCAA players not get paid by the colleges they can't accept any kind of sponsorship or free stuff. If they do they lose eligibility and can't compete anymore.

Thanks for the responses guys. I was asking about the payment because the quarterback, Franklin, said he got his own room as part of joining the team so I thought perks or payments were involved.

I know the campus is probably huge, but the sight of the terribly overweight coach in his cart is hilarious and sad. Would he ever just walk for pity sake!

To anyone who hasn't seen it, I would really recommend it. One of the best series on Netflix. Great characters and great cinematography too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Thanks for the responses guys. I was asking about the payment because the quarterback, Franklin, said he got his own room as part of joining the team so I thought perks or payments were involved.

I know the campus is probably huge, but the sight of the terribly overweight coach in his cart is hilarious and sad. Would he ever just walk for pity sake!

To anyone who hasn't seen it, I would really recommend it. One of the best series on Netflix. Great characters and great cinematography too.

Franklin - bit of an enigma isn't he ?
    hes got the ego, maybe not the full range to be a QB . If he wasnt so egocentric, and confident/cocky, I felt the Coach should have used him as a running back/wide reciever ! I felt Wyatt was a more reliable , but less spontaneous, QB.
    Anyway - one of the best 'docu-series' ive watched....
    Last Chance U - series2 ? :P

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Anyway - one of the best 'docu-series' ive watched....
    Last Chance U - series2 ? :P

It's already been renewed for a second series.

It always amazes me how big NCAA sports, in general, are in the US and to think of how many athletes are involved at that level especially when compared to the comparatively tiny number of spots available at professional level in any given sport.

It's already been renewed for a second series.

It always amazes me how big NCAA sports, in general, are in the US and to think of how many athletes are involved at that level especially when compared to the comparatively tiny number of spots available at professional level in any given sport.

oh ok , didn't know that. I hope it works !

I couldn't get over the amount of money put into it! The equipment and facilities that they have !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Haters Back Off - what a pile of sh1te! Anyone manage more than 10 minutes of episode 1?
    safetyboy wrote: »
    I dare ya. :p

Well, I watched it last night and I didn't think it was that bad. It's the sort of stupid comedy that can be enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,629 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The NCAA which is amateur sports governing body makes close to a billion dollars a year from these college students who are not allowed to be paid in any way.

That's what makes it sadder when you see so many of these students basically discarded with very little education when they don't make the grade to play in the NFL. NBA etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

I dont think too many of those guys would be in any sort of education if it wasn't for their football ability. They'd already dropped out of other colleges. But for the poor woman chasing them all day and practically shoving them into the classrooms they'd drop out there too. She must have the patience of a saint.
    Not only do NCAA players not get paid by the colleges they can't accept any kind of sponsorship or free stuff. If they do they lose eligibility and can't compete anymore.

There was a telling scene where one of the guys was talking to a scout trying to sign him up. The scout was asking what he could do to make him sign, at which point the young fella clammed up and made reference to cameras being present...

oh ok , didn't know that. I hope it works !

I couldn't get over the amount of money put into it! The equipment and facilities that they have !!

Some of their stadiums put Croke Park to shame. 90,000-ish at Alabama v Auburn games. I don't know that I'd ever be bothered about going to an NFL game but one of the big college rivalry games would be an experience.

ahlookit wrote: »
    I dont think too many of those guys would be in any sort of education if it wasn't for their football ability. They'd already dropped out of other colleges. But for the poor woman chasing them all day and practically shoving them into the classrooms they'd drop out there too. She must have the patience of a saint.

Don't most schools have academic requirements that must be met in order for a student to be allowed to play? They're given the opportunity of an education, if they don't take it it's their own fault.
    There was a telling scene where one of the guys was talking to a scout trying to sign him up. The scout was asking what he could do to make him sign, at which point the young fella clammed up and made reference to cameras being present...

Yeah, NCAA rules are ridiculous. Just after the Olympics there Katie Ledecky was on Ellen and they were playing some silly game where the winner got a waffle maker but Ledecky couldn't take it when she won because she's swimming for Stanford this year. That's how strict it is.

Don't most schools have academic requirements that must be met in order for a student to be allowed to play? They're given the opportunity of an education, if they don't take it it's their own fault.

Yep, they need to attend their classes and pass the tests. I think some of the subjects can be pretty dumbed down for the athletes, to guarantee they are eligible to play. Its a weird system looking at it from this side of the Atlantic...

Good interview with the counsellor here in GQ
    Do you ever question why we’re combining football and academics? In your position, does it feel natural to you?

It’s what we’ve always done, so it’s easy to get bogged down in what we’ve always done. But I have had moments where I’ve questioned if this is even relevant anymore. Is college algebra even relevant? That’s a debate the educational system in America needs to have.
    With football, several years ago I kind of pitched the idea to a couple colleagues: What if we had a major that was like a pro-sports major? Those top-tier athletes, in any sport, that we thought had the opportunity to play professional sports—what if we let them major in this? Instead of taking college algebra, they took finance. They took a math that was an applied math that helped them balance their checkbook, invest their money. That these classes were lined up more with being a professional athlete rather than putting them through a bunch of curriculum that they would, quite honestly, never use again. Sometimes I do sit in my office and think, when are they ever going to use this again?

http://www.gq.com/story/last-chance-u-counselor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Last Chance U thread in Online TV forum? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057630094

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

This looks really incredible Into the Inferno, Volcano doc. coming October 28th - can't wait..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4846318/?ref_=nv_sr_1

This looks really incredible Into the Inferno, Volcano doc. coming October 28th - can't wait..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4846318/?ref_=nv_sr_1

That looks really good. I'll consume anything Herzog related.

Just finished Last Chance U and it is brilliant. Really recommend it, even if you don't like football like I don't!
    I think they got screwed in the last episode. Why were they the ones punished so severely when one of their coaches was punched before the game and it was the opposition that was the source of the aggravation!

Still Game, a sitcom about two old Scottish codgers living in Glasgow, has 6 seasons available on Netflix.

I just watched the first season and enjoyed it, worth a look if your a fan of British comedies.... its in a similar vein to Rab C Nesbitt

• Advertisement

ahlookit wrote: »
    Still Game, a sitcom about two old Scottish codgers living in Glasgow, has 6 seasons available on Netflix.

I just watched the first season and enjoyed it, worth a look if your a fan of British comedies.... its in a similar vein to Rab C Nesbitt

Subtitles needed ? :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Any lesser known films or hidden gems worth checking out on Netflix? Their film catalogue really has gone to the dogs. The festivals are overflowing with indie movies, the critics are drowning in them, but Netflix is more interested in cheaply produced or licensed binge content. Seems like it's only going to get worse. I'm thinking of cancelling.

Any lesser known films or hidden gems worth checking out on Netflix?

Probably doesn't fall into the category of lesser known or hidden gem but the documentary "13th" is worth watching, if you haven't already.

It starts out as a look at how the US prison system can be seen as essentially an evolution of slavery and how the US has a ridiculously high number of prisoners and how within that number there's a ridiculously high number of black prisoners. But it also touches on how the current system came to be, through various presidential campaigns, how private prisons are a multi million dollar business, how private companies are heavily involved in dictating government policies on these issues and how it effects other minority communities.

Given the current mess of an election campaign that's going on right now it's pretty timely. There's an unsettling parallel between Trump's campaign and that of Reagan and Nixon. The Democrats don't get off lightly either, so it's not a Hillary propaganda piece.

It's a bit of a cliché but it's definitely an eye opener. It touches on the Black Lives Matter movement too and there's some distressing things shown but it felt to me like an important thing to watch if you want to be having any kind of conversation about the USA or anything going on in it these days.

Any lesser known films or hidden gems worth checking out on Netflix? Their film catalogue really has gone to the dogs. The festivals are overflowing with indie movies, the critics are drowning in them, but Netflix is more interested in cheaply produced or licensed binge content. Seems like it's only going to get worse. I'm thinking of cancelling.

There was a film that did the festival rounds last year called 'Victoria'. The unique selling point was that it was filmed all in one take and is an action/drama movie.

Personally I didn't think it was great but could be worth checking out?

I watched the first episode of Haters Back Off. It seemed a bit Napoleon Dynamitey to start, but in a very obvious way, so obvious it's painful, but then just as I'm about to switch off there's a conversation about what a bag of salami is and it made me spit my tea out. So I kept watching. Based on 1 episode I think I'll watch more, it's a bit hit and miss and the lead character is almost too annoying to be likable but there's some really funny stuff in there too, like taping the fish to the outside of the tanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

I watched the first episode of Haters Back Off. It seemed a bit Napoleon Dynamitey to start, but in a very obvious way, so obvious it's painful, but then just as I'm about to switch off there's a conversation about what a bag of salami is and it made me spit my tea out. So I kept watching. Based on 1 episode I think I'll watch more, it's a bit hit and miss and the lead character is almost too annoying to be likable but there's some really funny stuff in there too, like taping the fish to the outside of the tanks :)

I start laughing anytime she bursts into song :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

Watched the first two episodes of People Just Do Nothing and really enjoyed it. It's a BBC mockumentary about a pirate radio station in east London and the headbangers that are running it. Some genuine lols in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

New episodes of Black Mirror today.. huzzah!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Probably doesn't fall into the category of lesser known or hidden gem but the documentary "13th" is worth watching, if you haven't already.

It starts out as a look at how the US prison system can be seen as essentially an evolution of slavery and how the US has a ridiculously high number of prisoners and how within that number there's a ridiculously high number of black prisoners. But it also touches on how the current system came to be, through various presidential campaigns, how private prisons are a multi million dollar business, how private companies are heavily involved in dictating government policies on these issues and how it effects other minority communities.

Given the current mess of an election campaign that's going on right now it's pretty timely. There's an unsettling parallel between Trump's campaign and that of Reagan and Nixon. The Democrats don't get off lightly either, so it's not a Hillary propaganda piece.

It's a bit of a cliché but it's definitely an eye opener. It touches on the Black Lives Matter movement too and there's some distressing things shown but it felt to me like an important thing to watch if you want to be having any kind of conversation about the USA or anything going on in it these days.

Thanks, I've heard this recommended in a few places. I think it was produced just for Netflix, though, or acquired by them.
    There was a film that did the festival rounds last year called 'Victoria'. The unique selling point was that it was filmed all in one take and is an action/drama movie.

Personally I didn't think it was great but could be worth checking out?

I saw it JDIFF and thought it was excellent. Never really believed that it was shot in a single take, though that's what the director claimed.

• Advertisement

I started a thread about it while ago, but Criterion is launching an indie, classic, cult, foreign film streaming service in the US soon called FilmStruck. Maybe some competition will prompt Netflix to throw film lovers a few crumbs, but they seem to be abandoning film streaming altogether.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement