Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Separate threads for film & TV
    storker wrote: »
    I found Event Horizon a bit meh,
    Bambi wrote: »
    Event Horizon is a great setup and then no pay off.

I think Event Horizon is brilliant, one of the few films I can watch over and over. I wonder if the lost cut would ever see the light of day. Apparently the studio and test audiences were upset and disturbed by the original cut so it had to be refined.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I think Event Horizon is brilliant, one of the few films I can watch over and over. I wonder if the lost cut would ever see the light of day. Apparently the studio and test audiences were upset and disturbed by the original cut so it had to be refined.

i loved it until the ending

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Was happy to see Little Men appear on Netflix super quickly having not had a chance to see it in the cinema a month or two ago. And was quite impressed with the film, more so than Ira Sachs' last film Love is Strange. It's a carefully understated story about a friendship between two boys, and the impact a disagreement between their respective parents has. What's particularly neat is how credibly drawn the parents are - and by that I mean they're often straight-up assholes. Greg Kinnear and Paulina García both give particularly strong performances, their own selfishness often complicating their efforts to do the right or even practical thing. A short but effective film that doesn't outstay its welcome, and manages to remain pleasingly understated until the final frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Bambi wrote: »
    Scary is very subjective, I find the jump scare horror films that are generally called scary to be crap

Starry Eyes
    Candyman
    Banshee Chapter
    Midnight Meat Train
    Let Me in
    The Prophecy
    He never died (not really a horror but its a great little movie)
    30 days of Night

Are all great horrors

Spellbinder
    From Beyond
    The Keep

are good in an 80s cult sort of way. I also just noticed that return of the living dead is up there now. Not that scary but a classic

Or sign up for the free weeks subscription at shudder.com

that's a big list i'll start making my way through cheers
    oneilla wrote: »
    I found Paranormal Activiy a bit scary but it's more of a tension building exercise rather than jump scares every scene.

Creep is creepy - found footage of a man who spends a weekend with some quite creepy. Bit of a one note "crap your pants" movie but might be up your alley.

Hush is in the horror section but is more thriller - home invasion of a deaf woman.

Circle (strangers in a mysterious room in a circle picked off one by one) and The Invitation (dinner party gone bad in a cult-like manner) are also more along the thriller lines imo but might keep you hooked.

i havent watched any of the paranormal activity stuff i alway thought it was crap but i'll add it to the list.

I've seen hush absolutely fantastic movie its a real thriller

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Starry Eyes is pretty disturbing, very grim, there is a scene in it that is very similar to what happened in the french film "Irreversible", left me a bit, euuughhhhhhh!!!!! .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

dunworth1 wrote: »
    that's a big list i'll start making my way through cheers

i havent watched any of the paranormal activity stuff i alway thought it was crap but i'll add it to the list.

I've seen hush absolutely fantastic movie its a real thriller

Paranormal Activity is a bit Blair Witch Project, in a vulgar sense it relies upon tension - weird stuff happening until the final reel. If you can get into it and suspend disbelief you might just lose control of your bowels. The sequels are a series of diminishing returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

As an Aspie myself, I recommend "Asperger's Are Us". A very good slice of life documentary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have to say there's been a notable improvement in the film additions recently - lots of interesting little indies and recent curios. Still a very narrow remit and variety of films, yeah, but quite a few worth noting nonetheless.

With that in mind, happy to see Under the Shadow added, one of the most refreshing horror efforts of recent years. What a difference a setting change can make: setting the film in 1980s Tehran dramatically changes the sort of imagery, context and themes it can explore. Reminiscent of the likes of The Babadook, it's great to see some of the ideas that have helped define some of the country's great cinema delivered in a more accessible manner, and some probing social commentary embedded in the very design of the film (the 'shadow' itself is a fascinating concept). Looks and sounds great to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The Hunt for the Wilderpeople is one of the best films I've seen in a long time. Touching without being overtly slushy and sentimental and very, very funny. Two fantastic performances from Dennison and Neil as the boy and the foster father who get stranded in the New Zealand bush and become the subject of a manhunt. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Have to say there's been a notable improvement in the film additions recently - lots of interesting little indies and recent curios. Still a very narrow remit and variety of films, yeah, but quite a few worth noting nonetheless..

True there hasn't been a great deal of movies added really up until about mid December although I noticed there hasn't been a lot of movies leaving until around January 1st also.

Glad to see Under the Show as well .Showed up in a lot of top 10 lists of last year.

• Advertisement

watched waffle street last night a great feel good film with a couple of laughs thrown in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

There's a Tommy Tiernan special I just found, haven't watched it yet: http://www.netflix.com/title/70245211

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭romperstomper

True there hasn't been a great deal of movies added really up until about mid December although I noticed there hasn't been a lot of movies leaving until around January 1st also.

Glad to see Under the Show as well .Showed up in a lot of top 10 lists of last year.

Do you mean 'Under the shadow'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

The Hunt for the Wilderpeople is one of the best films I've seen in a long time. Touching without being overtly slushy and sentimental and very, very funny. Two fantastic performances from Dennison and Neil as the boy and the foster father who get stranded in the New Zealand bush and become the subject of a manhunt. Highly recommended.

+1 to this. An endearing black comedy drama. It hit the spot for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Watched siege of jadoville. Couple of dodgy accents but overall really enjoyed it.

Great story

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Watched Whiplash for the second time yesterday, it's probably my favorite movie of the last 5 years. Simmons is obviously outstanding, but Miles Teller is bloody good too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Thanks to this thread for the recommendation of All this Mayhem, a doc about two Australian brothers that conquer the US pro-skateboarding world.

I thought it was absolutely brilliant. Don't let the skateboarding put you off, and don't read anything about it...just watch it!

I also watched and thoroughly enjoyed The Big Short.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Lockup: Women Behind Bars: Documentary Series.
    It's facinating. Can't stop watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Started watching Medici: Masters of Florence . It's not bad, seems to get going around episode 4.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Real Detective well worth checking out. Homicide detectives revisit the cases that have haunted them the most during their careers. It is dramatised,but intertwined with commentary/interviews from the detectives. The dramatisation is done incredibly well and would work well as a series in itself, but the commentary adds another layer of depth and insight to it. Very engrossing and chilling. Definitely one for true crime fans. Episode 2 is particularly harrowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Real Detective well worth checking out. Homicide detectives revisit the cases that have haunted them the most during their careers. It is dramatised,but intertwined with commentary/interviews from the detectives. The dramatisation is done incredibly well and would work well as a series in itself, but the commentary adds another layer of depth and insight to it. Very engrossing and chilling. Definitely one for true crime fans. Episode 2 is particularly harrowing.

Cool thanks for da recommendation, will check it out once I'm finished watching lock up: woman behind bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Theory of Everything added today.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭mvron

Is Little Men available on Netflix already? Just had a quick look and not appearing on our search this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 More Tea

The Theory of Everything added today.

So far January has been their best month in many. They badly needed a strong month of content too!

Found Travelers to be absolute pap. Gave up after about 3 episodes. I like the idea, but it feels like it is trying too hard - too many shots that are trying to be artistic, but seem pretentious (
    The scene with the junkie attending the funeral of his dead housemate, with an awkward camera angle, drifting petals, and his sombre face
    being the perfect example of this).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Found Travelers to be absolute pap. Gave up after about 3 episodes. I like the idea, but it feels like it is trying too hard - too many shots that are trying to be artistic, but seem pretentious (
    The scene with the junkie attending the funeral of his dead housemate, with an awkward camera angle, drifting petals, and his sombre face

I watched it all. It's passable entertainment that probably thinks it's more than it is. I'd watch a second season if that happens but I wouldn't be upset if they didn't make anymore. The title, which probably sounds very mysterious to an American audience, kind of has different connotations for Irish audiences. I call it 'My Big Fat Gypsy People from the Future'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Yep don't get the love for it either, I dropped it after the second episode, the acting is rubbish, the storytelling is juvenile and the whole concept is just ridiculous imo.

Dropped The Expanse aswell but I did last a bit longer with it, made it to episode 6, I just found it dull, and not very compelling. The characters were all very clichéd and I just didn't care what happened to them tbh.

Is there any fictional series in the pipeline that people are excited about? It's not been great lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Started Beyond last night - yet another 'come back from somewhere after 10+ years to your heartbroken family and cause havoc throughout your old neighbourhood' series.

Doesn't anyone say, 'That's been done before'? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

The Netflix made Lemony Snicket Series could be fun to settle down and binge watch with the kids if the weather gets bad. Nice touch launching it on Friday the 13th also.

• Advertisement

I'm up to episode 9 of the travellers and I've enjoyed it so far.

i didn't notice the camera angles or anything like that one thing is annoying me
    though
    the relationship between Marcey and David its very odd

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement