Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    Watching Frontier now.

About 5 minutes in and they have what seem like main characters with faux Irish accents. Throwing in words like "****e", "arseholes", etc. to make it seem more "authentic"

Sounds pretty authentic to be fair...

It might be that it is just overplayed then. But doesn't sound right. Sort of like Pierce Brosnan in Evelyn.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It might be that it is just overplayed then. But doesn't sound right. Sort of like Pierce Brosnan in Evelyn.

I had a look at the cast list on IMDb to see if any characters were Irish and there is a man listed as "Irishman", the guy playing him is from Newfoundland so that's probably what the weird accent is. The accent out that way sounds like someone doing a not quite convincing Irish accent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, I've not watched 'Frontier', but IIRC Newfoundland has a very strong dialect that still to this day leans heavily on its Irish roots. Wouldn't be surprised if any show / film set there had 'weird' accents.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah, I've not watched 'Frontier', but IIRC Newfoundland has a very strong dialect that still to this day leans heavily on its Irish roots. Wouldn't be surprised if any show / film set there had 'weird' accents.

Here's a little taste of the accent.

• Advertisement

I had a look at the cast list on IMDb to see if any characters were Irish and there is a man listed as "Irishman", the guy playing him is from Newfoundland so that's probably what the weird accent is. The accent out that way sounds like someone doing a not quite convincing Irish accent.

The main character I was referring to is "Michael Smyth" played by someone called Landon Liboiron, who is from Alberta. But would make sense that someone with a Newfoundland accent would seem so off in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

Just watched the 2016 documentary about the bare knuckle fighter Lenny McClean. 'The Guv'nor'. Thought it was a good watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Watching Frontier now.

About 5 minutes in and they have what seem like main characters with faux Irish accents. Throwing in words like "****e", "arseholes", etc. to make it seem more "authentic"

Was it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Anomalisa arrived last month, its great.:)

Little Sister also very good if somewhat let down by a rather rushed ending.

Essentially a lass becoming a nun goes home to beat her mental family.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Coming to Netflix in February.

The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story
    The Fear of 13
    The Theory of Everything
    Warrior
    Ultimate Beastmaster
    The Fantastic Mr Fox
    Santa Clarita Diet

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Theory of Everything was added already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Warrior was on for ages, they must have removed it and are adding it again

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Warrior was on for ages, they must have removed it and are adding it again

Yeah think it was removed and is being added back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

just watched Golden years

a few laughs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Just finished Frequency where a lady cop is able to talk to her dead cop dad via a radio in their garage. :rolleyes:

It occasionally showed promise and the acting was very good from all concerned but you were left baffled at the end!

Just finished Frequency where a lady cop is able to talk to her dead cop dad via a radio in their garage. :rolleyes:

It occasionally showed promise and the acting was very good from all concerned but you were left baffled at the end!

Isn't that an adaptation of a movie with Jim Caviezel and Dennis Quaid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Mickeroo wrote: »

Yeah, it's the same thing. Watch a couple of episodes but didn't bother sticking with it.

Mickeroo wrote: »

I think so....

One episode in, Travelers looks promising.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Yeah, it's the same thing. Watch a couple of episodes but didn't bother sticking with it.
    Does it have the backdrop of the 1969 World Series?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

Coming to Netflix in February.

The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story
    The Fear of 13
    The Theory of Everything
    Warrior
    Ultimate Beastmaster
    The Fantastic Mr Fox
    Santa Clarita Diet

American Crime Story is well worth a watch. Couldn't get over/into Cuba Gooding Jr as OJ though, he was just too small.

Been watching River, the BBC show. Have to say it's incredible. Talk about incredible acting from Stellan Skarsgård!

Looking forward to Santa Clarita Diet. Looks like it has a lot of promise!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Birdman added today.

I see Skeleton Twins was added yesterday. Decent film about the relationship between a brother and sister who both try to kill themselves on the same day. Her attempt is interrupted by a call from the hospital about his attempt. There's some lighter moments in it too and Bill Hader and Kristin Wiig have great chemistry as the leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

the people v larry flint added today

I watched all of Lovesick over the last couple of days. There's 2 series of it, the first one was on Channel 4 and then it got picked up by Netflix for a second series. It's about a guy, Dylan, who discovers he has chlamydia and, with the help of his 2 closest friends, Luke and Evie, has to get in contact with all his sexual partners over a certain period of time to tell them to get tested.

When it was on C4 it was called Scrotal Recall and I remember the adverts making it seem like a very sort of American Pie gross out humour kind of thing. It's not like that at all. Every episode is named after a different girl on Dylan's list and there's flashbacks to how and when he was with said girl but really whole thing is about Dylan, Evie and Luke's friendship and we see various important parts of their lives/relationship through the flashbacks, along with what's happening in the present day.

I found lots of it to be quite funny too but it's not a comedy, as such, but it's not too serious either.

(I'll come back with some films in a few days to cancel out this non film recommendation ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Has anyone seen The Interview? 1998 Australian thriller about a mild mannered quiet man being interrogated by police

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

https://www.justwatch.com/ie/provider/netflix

Found this site that shows you everything that's on Netflix Ireland at the moment. It's pretty handy for finding things you mightn't ordinarily see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Enjoyed The Water Diviner with Russell Crowe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

https://www.justwatch.com/ie/provider/netflix

Found this site that shows you everything that's on Netflix Ireland at the moment. It's pretty handy for finding things you mightn't ordinarily see.

This is the first one of these sites I've seen that actually looks good. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement