Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

Finished watching River yesterday.

Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Separate threads for film & TV
    Earthhorse wrote: »
    This is the first one of these sites I've seen that actually looks good. Thanks.

Yeah, I've been looking through and it's great for finding stuff doesn't normally come up on the app for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Really enjoyed Travelers, a sci-fi about time travellers that was really well thought through, almost believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Law Abiding Citizen was added today a really enjoyable leave your brain at the door action/thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Bus Boy

About to start River tonight with your recommendations. Nice to have something to look froward to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Bus Boy wrote: »
    About to start River tonight with your recommendations. Nice to have something to look froward to.

You're in for a treat, it's fantastic.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Watched the Good Kill last night and really enjoyed it. Set in 2008, Ethan Hawke is an Airforce pilot now operating ones in Las Vegas which are dropping bombs in Afghanistan. The unravelling of his life escalates when the CIA take over command of the drone missions. Hawke's performance is nicely understated and there's a superb supporting cast. The script does a great job of dealing with the moral complexities of their actions on the people thousands of miles away who they spy on with their drones. Definitely recommended.

You're in for a treat, it's fantastic.

Thanks Tom, yep, loving it already:), the beauty of boards.ie

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Finished watching River yesterday.

Wow.
    Oh I love to love
    But my baby just loves to dance
    He wants to dance, He loves to dance, He's got to dance

Excellent show.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,394 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Watched Waffle House on reccommendation from somebody here - nice little film. Finding work post-financial crash etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

noodler wrote: »
    Watched Waffle House on reccommendation from somebody here - nice little film. Finding work post-financial crash etc.

Watched that myself the other day. Found it a bit too nice, if that's the right word. If everyone is being portrayed accurately then his wife is a f**king saint.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,394 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Watched that myself the other day. Found it a bit too nice, if that's the right word. If everyone is being portrayed accurately then his wife is a f**king saint.

Haha, I have to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,357 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Bus Boy wrote: »

I watched episode 1 a while ago and wasn't drawn in at all, maybe that's just me?

Tempted to continue as the recommendations have been good, hopefully it's just something that started slow rather than something that's not my cup of tea at all

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

8-10 wrote: »
    I watched episode 1 a while ago and wasn't drawn in at all, maybe that's just me?

Tempted to continue as the recommendations have been good, hopefully it's just something that started slow rather than something that's not my cup of tea at all

It's being a bit overhyped in here but it's very good, worth giving 2-3 episodes a go to see if it clicks with you

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭JeffCash

Watched "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" over the weekend after seeing it heavily recommended on here. Really enjoyed it. Also watched Eddie the Eagle, pretty easy watching and worth checking out.

JeffCash wrote: »
    Watched "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" over the weekend after seeing it heavily recommended on here. Really enjoyed it. Also watched Eddie the Eagle, pretty easy watching and worth checking out.

Yeah, Eddie the Eagle is a great little film - it's a lot of fun. The only flaw for me was the fact that Hugh Jackman's character was entirely fictional.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Really recommend the Barkley Marathons, a documentary about a particularly grizzly ultra-marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 More Tea

Law Abiding Citizen was added today a really enjoyable leave your brain at the door action/thriller.

One of the worst films Ive ever seen on Netflix, but each to their own.

JeffCash wrote: »

Yeah, likewise with "Hunt for the Wilderpeople". Very engaging. Worried at the start that it may be contrived but really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

a new bill burr stand up concert has been added today

http://www.dailydot.com/upstream/bill-burr-walk-your-way-out-netflix/

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote: »

Well, that's cheered up my Tuesday… Can't wait to watch that.

peteeeed wrote: »

Not as good or as tight as I'm Sorry You Feel That Way. Mad how it was recorded just before the election but it feels so dated already. The Trump part seems so weird now...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

aquarius season 1
    ex-machina
    fantastic mr fox
    miles ahead (miles davis bio )
    added today

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Not as good or as tight as I'm Sorry You Feel That Way. Mad how it was recorded just before the election but it feels so dated already. The Trump part seems so weird now...

It has its moments but is fairly loose alright

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

ex machina is a must see.

Oscar Isaac gives a really unsettling performance in this, miles removed from his turn in star wars.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

For anyone who watched the documentary 13th there's an interview up now between Oprah and director Ava DuVerney about it. I haven't gotten around to watching it uet so I don't know if it's any good but DuVerney is usually really interesting to listen to. And if you haven't watched 13th yet I'd highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Didn't realise there was so much grit flying around my house to get in my eyes. Just watched 50/50 and The Fundamentals of Caring. 2 excellent and funny films that do pretty well at changing tone from moving to funny throughout.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

ex machina is a must see.

Oscar Isaac gives a really unsettling performance in this, miles removed from his turn in star wars.

Ex Machina is just superb.
    That dancing scene could have been so so cheesy and rough, but in the right story, the right director, and the right actors' hands, it showed just how far things had slipped away.

Also worth looking for is the first episode of season 2 of Black Mirror, called Be Right Back, which stars Domhnall Gleeson, who is also in Ex Machina, and deals with similar themes to an extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Some fantastic stuff gone on Netflix recently, although I've already seen a lot of them: Ex Machina, Sing Street, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Whiplash are all superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Some fantastic stuff gone on Netflix recently, although I've already seen a lot of them: Ex Machina, Sing Street, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Whiplash are all superb.

Yeah they've added a lot of great content since the turn of the year. A lot of tripe as well it must be said but plenty of good stuff too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement