Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭archie199

I think someone mentioned El marginal a couple of pages back, fantastic show. Best I've seen in a long long time, incredible

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Separate threads for film & TV
    Searching For Augusta

Documentary about a Belgian nurse who worked at a US aid centre during the Siege of Bastogne in WW2. The story of Renee Lemaire, another nurse who was there, is much more well known, she was even in Band of Brothers, but Augusta Chiwy was completely forgotten. A chance encounter with a Belgian soldier while visiting Bastogne sets historian Martin King on a quest to discover her story and find out what happened to her after Bastogne.

Worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Searching For Augusta

Documentary about a Belgian nurse who worked at a US aid centre during the Siege of Bastogne in WW2. The story of Renee Lemaire, another nurse who was there, is much more well known, she was even in Band of Brothers, but Augusta Chiwy was completely forgotten. A chance encounter with a Belgian soldier while visiting Bastogne sets historian Martin King on a quest to discover her story and find out what happened to her after Bastogne.

Worth a look.

Hers is a great story, she is an inspiration to nurses who like their history, didn't see the documentary was on Netflix, must watch it thanks for the heads up.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I managed 7 minutes of Project Almanac, a found footage time-travel film from a year or two back. I recall the trailer catching my interest, with a sort of Chronicle-esque feel to it and a couple of neat shots - like a future character having travelled back in time who draws something on the nape of his sleeping past self, with the shot framed such that we see the drawing appear on the future self as he draws it on his past self. But the title credits featured both MTV Films and Platinum Dunes as production credits, and the script and cast were so bloody dreadful in the opening few minutes that I bailed, never to return.

I then took a punt on the recent Netflix "Original", Iboy, having seen a promising review of it in Sight & Sound. It's not as good as that review suggests, in no small part because even while being an hour and a half long the runtime is padded out - and while the most interesting thing happening character-wise is Maisie Williams' character and her reaction to being gang-raped in a fairly clumsy fridging incident near the start of the film, she's not given enough to do to give it depth. Rory Kinnear turns up towards the end and does a reasonable turn as a menacing yet oddly charming kingpin character, but it felt a bit too PG-13 to ever reach more interesting terrain, and is sort of like a feature-length okay episode of Misfits.

Lovesick has been picked up for a 3rd season by Netflix. I recommended it a few weeks ago and I think I'be seem a few mentions of it from others here too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

If you like horses - Harry & Snowman is very pleasant. A rags to riches documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Annie the original version and Blackhat added today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

Finished Season 2 of People Just Do Nothing and would highly recommend it. Its a mockumentary about a pirate radio station in East London. Made by BBC 3 I think.

MC GrinDAH!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

archie199 wrote: »
    I think someone mentioned El marginal a couple of pages back, fantastic show. Best I've seen in a long long time, incredible

I have the last episode to watch, like all great TV series I'm hoping for lots of closure with just a bit of hanging on for the next series. Please!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Coming in March. Glad to see Young Offenders there missed it in the cinema. Looking forward to watching the Nice Guys very underrated so I heard.

16681614_1347219105321179_3763805168327337195_n.jpg?oh=fd10a611622062b2749f95d7759e93e7&oe=594AD199

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Coming in March. Glad to see Young Offenders there missed it in the cinema. Looking forward to watching the Nice Guys very underrated so I heard.

16681614_1347219105321179_3763805168327337195_n.jpg?oh=fd10a611622062b2749f95d7759e93e7&oe=594AD199

The Nice Guys is excellent. I'm already looking forward to watching it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Line of Duty season 3 is arriving some time in march, got recommended to me by someone here. Really enjoyed the first two seasons, actually preferred it to Happy Valleys which I really liked as well. Didn't bother watching season 3 when it was on TV last year as I knew it would be hitting Neflix eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Pete Moss wrote: »
    The Nice Guys is excellent.

I thought it was a bit flat and got spoilt at times by Gosling's overacting during some of the physical comedy parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

I thought it was a bit flat and got spoilt at times by Gosling's overacting during some of the physical comedy parts.

Each to their own. Overall, I found it a fun film which didn't take itself too seriously. While I wouldn't say it's as good as, there's a Lethal Weapon element to the movie - enemies turned buddy cops, mystery, good comedic timing and some fun action pieces.

Is it definitely THE Young Offenders that's coming? Just I was looking at the list on a website yesterday and they just have it down as Young Offenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Annie the original version and Blackhat added today.

terrible film

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

kingsman : the secret service
    death at a funeral(english original version)
    Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore (a netflix original movie by green room director
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WBV7q_1DgQ

kingsman : the secret service
    death at a funeral(english original version)
    Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore (a netflix original movie by green room director added today

peteeeed wrote:
    Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore (a netflix original movie by green room director

It's actually a Macon Blair film, he was the lead in Blue Ruin and played the second in command in Green Room.

It's actually a Macon Blair film, he was the lead in Blue Ruin and played the second in command in Green Room.

aaaahhhh thats it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Kingsman is one of my favourite films from the last couple of years. Great fun altogether. Probably not for the squeamish - especially the church scene - but definitely giving it a big thumbs up. If you haven't seen it already you need to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

peteeeed wrote:
    kingsman : the secret service death at a funeral(english original version)

I found Kingsman a but avergage tbh, very formulaic underneath its shiny surface. One excellent scene in the church but otherwise I didn't see the fuss.
    I really enjoyed the orginal Death at a funeral, but haven't seen it in years.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I watched a couple of things on UK Netflix last night:
    Starry Eyes - odd psychological horror film about a young aspiring actress in LA who thinks she has found a breakout role that will kickstart her career, if she can just handle the demands of the production company. Somewhat similar to Neon Demon in theme, it was mostly pretty good except for some segments where broad characterisation and theme elements are really badly overplayed. At 90 minutes it doesn't out-stay its welcome, but it's good rather than great - there are some very nice unsettling moments and scenes, but the tone is a bit uneven.

The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane - one of loads of films Jodie Foster starred in in 1976. Foster plays a girl in her early teens who has recently moved to a small town in the US with her seemingly-absent father. Foster is very good, but there's an uneasily creepy tone to the whole thing which feels at least partly related to how she was treated by the film industry in general (the first character we see her interact with onscreen is obviously a paedophile; later in the film
    there's a scene where she and her boyfriend - played by a 20-year-old! - go to bed together, preceded by her stripping off in view of the camera, and later again we are shown her being groped by the paedophile
    ). Creepy/pervy moments aside, it's pretty good albeit with some OTT characterisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I enjoyed the Principle an Aussie mini series about a Muslim kid who gets murdered in a multicultural struggling town and city. Aidan Young of Rectify the most famous name for many one of the main roles.

Review and trailer below.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arts/review/the-principal-tips-hat-to-nordic-noir/news-story/7dd0d1b0dc321f1f1f44832de89751fe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Landmine goes Click is not very good but it might be of interest to a certain viewer who likes abuse/rape/revenge flicks. The premise for me just wasn't enough for a full length film as presented and then it turned a bit weird in the final act. Still though, its there for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Be Here Now added to Netflix.

Documentary about the late Andy Whitfield of Spartacus fame.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

From Netflix Five Came Back released on March 31st
    With narration by Meryl Streep and interviews with some of the best directors of our generation — Steven Spielberg, Francis Ford Coppola, Guillermo del Toro, Paul Greengrass and Lawrence Kasdan — Netflix today released its trailer and release date for its three-part docu-series Five Came Back.” Spielberg, Scott Rudin and Barry Diller are among the executive producers on this project which was adapted from Mark Harris’ best-selling book, Five Came Back: A Story of Hollywood and the Second World War.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Okja, due to debut this summer - Bong Joon-ho (Mother, Snowpiercer, Memories of Murder) takes on another 'creature feature' a decade after The Host.

On one hand, it's a shame that the latest film from a director as visually-minded as Bong Joon-ho will probably skip a cinema release and go straight to Netflix.

On the other hand, nobody bothered releasing the magnificent Snowpiercer over here anyway so at least we'll get to see the damn thing promptly.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

On the other hand, nobody bothered releasing the magnificent Snowpiercer over here anyway so at least we'll get to see the damn thing promptly.

I had the pleasure of seeing this last week at the Dublin film festival, it's first, and possibly, (but hopefully not) last screening in Ireland. Gráinne Humphries, the festival director said they'd tried to show it over several festivals, but due to legal issues and red tape they never could. They managed to wangle it this year as a tribute to John Hurt.
    Insane it got such a limited release and then got buried. So it's coming to Netflix? If so that's great news. Deserves to be seen by many more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

If it's the director's version. Harvey Weinstein wanted to butcher it. Director said no. Hence it was buried.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement