Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Separate threads for film & TV
    BBC's the hunt ,inside no.9 ,psychoville and a few other BBC docs
    party of five 6 seasons
    top five (chris rock)
    13 reasons why (netflix)
    and something called 'netflix live'
    Toasters toasting. Grass growing. Fans blowing. With Netflix Live, you can experience life's biggest thrills, right from the comfort of your couch.

added today

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Yea 13 Reasons looks like it could be pretty decent. I do love a show full of twists and turns and this looks right up there for me.

I remember reading about this a few years ago, Selena Gomez had bought the rights to it and they were developing it as a project for her to star in. It got delayed for various reasons to the point where she was too old to play the part anymore but she's still on board as a producer. It seems to have been a real "passion project" for her so you'd hope with that much time invested in it they've done a good job.

There's an awful lot been added today for the last day of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Also leaving soon: Hill Street, a documentary about skateboarding in Ireland https://www.netflix.com/title/80072209

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Nerve added today.

not a bad movie that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

hefferboi wrote: »
    Any good mystery TV shows or movies on Netflix? Something along the lines of true detective or the zodiac movie? Need a good fix of a thriller or mystery!

give fargo (tv show) a look ,excellent.billy bob in season 1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

There's an awful lot been added today for the last day of the month.

119 titles added today. A lot of crap in there to be fair but some good stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

119 titles added today. A lot of crap in there to be fair but some good stuff too.

Looked at some of it,

There's a 1945 US army documentary/news reel/propaganda about Japan and their History.

Know your enemy - Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

gmisk wrote: »
    There is a new show based on a book called 13 reasons why due for release today....seems to be getting good reviews (76% on metacritic)

2 episodes in......methinks it could become a bingefest! :D

2 episodes in......methinks it could become a bingefest! :D

There's a review on the Guardian suggesting it's "too bleak to binge". :eek:

• Advertisement

Mad men seasons 1-5
    Added today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

peteeeed wrote: »
    Mad men seasons 1-5
    Added today

There's the next month or so gone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

The Discovery is very good. Jason Segal.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

peteeeed wrote: »
    Mad men seasons 1-5
    Added today

I honestly thought this was an April Fools. They kept this relatively quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

neonsofa wrote: »
    The Discovery is very good. Jason Segal.

I watched this earlier, it's decent enough. Although I knew it would have one of those endings where I throw the remote at the television. Then it had that ending.
    Worth a watch though.

longshanks wrote: »
    I watched this earlier, it's decent enough. Although I knew it would have one of those endings where I throw the remote at the television. Then it had that ending.
    Worth a watch though.

Great minds :)
    Once you know it's coming it's easier to accept, don't know if you saw the drama "amber" a couple years back? I got so invested and then the ending was.... one of those endings- I was awful angry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

But of a niche suggestion here but Rupaul's Drag Race is now airing its 9th season on Netflix one day after it airs in the States. It's a massively popular reality show but don't let that put you off. It's brilliantly entertaining and addictive in a sort of mindless way.

Quick summary for those who have never heard of it. About 13 or so drag queens compete in a weekly elimination style show. Queens are judged in a whole manner of different challenges including singing, acting and construction of outfits for runway. Each week the bottom 2 have to lip sync and whomever Rupaul and his panel of judges deems the winner gets to stay another week. The cycle continues until a winner is crowned.

Honestly you don't have to be gay or even gay-adjacent to enjoy this show. It's massive in the USA

Hadn't realised they had new eps up at all, season 8 has been binge watched over the last few days, it's great hangover tv!

Just seen Seven Pounds listed. Fantastic film, well worth a watch.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Thought The Discovery was very weak, and not just because it wasted Rooney Mara in a mostly thankless role. It just didn't have the capacity to move beyond its admittedly intriguing premise - from the awful opening exposition dumps to a confused final act. Blandly shot & directed to boot. Something dour about the whole affair, even with the strange comic
    corpse-stealing
    interlude.

While I often want to like small indie science fiction of its ilk (see also: Coherence, Another Earth) more often than not the execution lets them down. Honestly I believe Shane Carruth's work (Upstream Colour in particular) has set my expectations unreasonably high - a filmmaker with the cinematic confidence, ambition & talent to let the ideas soar through radical direction. Sadly little evidence of such flair in the well-intentioned but haphazardly delivered The Discovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Halfway through 13 Reasons Why. It's compulsive viewing with a great cast in it, in particular the two actors playing Hannah and Clay. The central point of the plot of a group of high school kids passing around a collection of tapes like a chain letter that highlight their role in a girl's suicide is completely unbelievable but it's handled so well that you don't really mind. Well worth checking so far.

I'll let you know if it turns to dirt by the end though.

Also, seen that the BBC series The League of Gentlemen is back up! Only Season 1 and 3 though for some strange reason - Season 2 is the best of them. But if you haven't seen it yet, you're in for a treat!

It's a local shop for local people…

• Advertisement

Halfway through 13 Reasons Why. It's compulsive viewing with a great cast in it, in particular the two actors playing Hannah and Clay. The central point of the plot of a group of high school kids passing around a collection of tapes like a chain letter that highlight their role in a girl's suicide is completely unbelievable but it's handled so well that you don't really mind. Well worth checking so far.

I'll let you know if it turns to dirt by the end though.

I find a lot of this very...cringey and clichéd, but yet I am still very intrigued by it all. It drags you in doesn't it?

I find a lot of this very...cringey and clichéd, but yet I am still very intrigued by it all. It drags you in doesn't it?

Tbf, introspective teenagers are kind of cringey by their very nature so I'm willing to give that a pass but the show has enough intrigue to keep you watching it.

Some amount of tattoos on those teenagers though…

Tbf, introspective teenagers are kind of cringey by their very nature so I'm willing to give that a pass but the show has enough intrigue to keep you watching it.

Some amount of tattoos on those teenagers though…

Yeah fair point, just some of the dialogue is a bit cheesy for my liking. It's very similar to riverdale at times. I am really interested in where it's going though. Is it based on a book?

Yeah fair point, just some of the dialogue is a bit cheesy for my liking. It's very similar to riverdale at times. I am really interested in where it's going though. Is it based on a book?

Yeah, it's based on a book from 2007. I read a review saying that the series is a lot better than the book as the characters were pretty one-dimensional in it.

Anyone get an update on Line of Duty Season 3? Have searched a bit and found nothing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

den87 wrote: »
    Anyone get an update on Line of Duty Season 3? Have searched a bit and found nothing

It was added to the Irish catalogue by mistake and removed.

It was added to the Irish catalogue by mistake and removed.

So its not going to be put back on?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

den87 wrote: »
    So its not going to be put back on?

Licensing issues, I assume. RTE probably have the Irish rights.

louis ck 2017 added today

• Advertisement

Better Call Saul is putting in a third appearance on the 11th April.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement