Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Separate threads for film & TV
    Just after watching a few episodes of the line of duty. Now that's a show for smart people..... or any people. Just watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The neon demon added today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

The new Louis CK stand up is fantastic! Well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

tigger123 wrote: »

He had an interesting take on abortion.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

peteeeed wrote: »
    The neon demon added today

Such a polarizing film but i loved it, visually stunning like most of Refn`s work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Cracking though season 4 of Mad Men (I know, I know :P)

Roger Sterling is an excellent character.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The Fear of 13

Like all good crime documentaries it's best to go into this blind. It's a really well made film that completely captivated me for the 96 mins running time. It also helps that the subject of the film is a brilliant storyteller. In fact you could watch this with your eyes closed and enjoy it just as much as looking at the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Caught Chasing Amy last night, I was pleasantly surprised and found it very entertaining. It leaves Netflix the 25th of this month so it's around for just over a week.

Re. Madmen, I couldn't get into it either, it did nothing for me, and I like to think I'm not a gob****e and have been known to read intelligent media and understand most of the bigger words.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Caught Chasing Amy last night, I was pleasantly surprised and found it very entertaining. It leaves Netflix the 25th of this month so it's around for just over a week.
    Kevin Smith's best movie IMO.. even better than 'Clerks'.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

ThisRegard wrote: »

Re. Madmen, I couldn't get into it either, it did nothing for me, and I like to think I'm not a gob****e and have been known to read intelligent media and understand most of the bigger words.

How do you know when titles are leaving Netflix?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Carrie6OD wrote: »

There is plenty of sites that list all the movies that are leaving Netflix.

I dont use any myself so cant offer up any link.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

https://uk.newonnetflix.info/lastchance

I still haven't got over the fact that the US Office left the Irish Netflix.

As mentioned there's sites that have the dates, but the only reason I knew this was going was because when I selected it it said on screen the date it was leaving. So just a lucky coincidence for me, I've been planning on watching it for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The babadook is streaming again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Night at the Museum 1 just added today. A bit of harmless family fun for your Easter bank holiday.

Watched Eddie the Eagle last night. Was surprisingly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

tigger123 wrote: »

It was the exact show he toured in Ireland last year. Very funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Watched Eddie the Eagle last night. Was surprisingly good.

Yeah I watched it last week. Nearly turned it off after the first 5 minutes but glad I didn't. Great movie

Basq wrote: »
    Kevin Smith's best movie IMO.. even better than 'Clerks'.

At the time I was wondering what the hell you were talking about Kevin Smith for, but bowed to superior knowledge. It just dawned on me I meant Gone Girl! Chasing Amy is still on my list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Well if she was being chased, no wonder she's gone........

/gets coat

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

match point is very good .I know...... its woody allen but this isn't his usual tripe
    the talented mr ripley .I enjoyed that
    the young offenders saw it in the cinema its fab
    dirty rotten scoundrels very funny
    double indemnity is a 1940s film noir tis good enough if you like old movies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

If you don't mind sub-titles I can recommend 9th Company. Its a Russian film based on a true story near the end of the war in Afghanistan. There are elements ripped off from Full Metal Jacket (a haircut scene at the start, an equivalent to Private Joker who is an artist rather than a writer and R. Lee Ermey has been promoted to Lieutenant) but there's no Private Pyle and the climactic basic training scene couldn't be more different. The action scenes are very well done, although the acting seems a bit overly hysterical at times. I found it fascinating that the Russian Ministry of Film were involved when it clearly shows the brutality for which Russian basic training is infamous and it also has elements of official corruption and farce and, of course, (not a spoiler alert) we all know the whole exercise was a futile waste of Russian manhood and resources.

There are some minor quibbles, some of the acting as I said, the inadvertent (I'm sure) homage to Full Metal Jacket and one or two curious errors. The sub-titles refer to them as being Paratroopers at one point when they are clearly wearing the blue & white T-shirt of Russian Marines (possibly to distance it from FMJ?) and also the fact that it was based on a true event in Khost province Afghanistan but we are only told that in the closing title sequence. (Now that I've told you, that's not a quirk any more!).

• Registered Users Posts: 60,633 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So Netflix have said this...Since the launch of The Ridiculous 6, Netflix members have spent more than half a billion hours enjoying the films of Adam Sandler.

Now there is the reason he is paid so much for the exclusive deals for his films.

So Netflix have said this...Since the launch of The Ridiculous 6, Netflix members have spent more than half a billion hours enjoying the films of Adam Sandler.

Now there is the reason he is paid so much for the exclusive deals for his films.

It still doesn't really explain it as Netflix are only getting 9.99 from these people, whether they watch half an hour or 200 hours of him. At the moment there's 15 films listed under his name on Netflix. Even at 2 hours a piece the most I can spend watching him is 30 hours. I could probably do that on the free trial if I wanted to.

That said, let's not fall down another Adam Sandler hole in this thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I watched 40 minutes of Sandy Wexler and turned it off. Enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

Has anyone watched The Discovery?

https://www.theverge.com/2017/1/21/14347878/the-discovery-review-netflix-sundance-2016-jason-segel

"The Discovery has the premise of a Black Mirror episode and the spiritual optimism of Chicken Soup for the Sci-Fi Nerd’s Soul. It's the not-so-distant future, and Dr. Thomas Harber (Robert Redford) has collected overwhelming scientific evidence that upon death, our brainwaves make an exodus on a subatomic level. The “soul” leaves the body. Where consciousness goes, nobody knows, but the loose thread is enough to unravel humanity, inspiring an epidemic of suicides. When life is too painful, there's always the option to take the next train out of the station."

The trailer and the premise are intriguing to me, might give it a go during the week.

Half a billion? Assuming his movies last in or around 2 hours, then that means that his movies have been seen about 250m times. If we also assume $10 per ticket (likely more), then that means $2,500,000,000 that would have normally gone to cinemas.

When you break that down, then that's a pretty damned smart move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

brevity wrote: »
    Has anyone watched The Discovery?

https://www.theverge.com/2017/1/21/14347878/the-discovery-review-netflix-sundance-2016-jason-segel

"The Discovery has the premise of a Black Mirror episode and the spiritual optimism of Chicken Soup for the Sci-Fi Nerd’s Soul. It's the not-so-distant future, and Dr. Thomas Harber (Robert Redford) has collected overwhelming scientific evidence that upon death, our brainwaves make an exodus on a subatomic level. The “soul” leaves the body. Where consciousness goes, nobody knows, but the loose thread is enough to unravel humanity, inspiring an epidemic of suicides. When life is too painful, there's always the option to take the next train out of the station."

The trailer and the premise are intriguing to me, might give it a go during the week.

Ya I've seen it, It's a very interesting fairly orignal plot, don't think I've seen much like it which is rare these. The ending is very Marmite, but I'd say its definitely worth watching imo.

• Advertisement

Half a billion? Assuming his movies last in or around 2 hours, then that means that his movies have been seen about 250m times. If we also assume $10 per ticket (likely more), then that means $2,500,000,000 that would have normally gone to cinemas.

When you break that down, then that's a pretty damned smart move.

By that logic though that's $2,500,000,000 that people are keeping in their pocket. Netflix aren't getting $10 for everyone of those streams.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement