Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Why are obvious example quotes taken so literally? "The acting is good, but overall the show is a mess", was just a quick example.

I don't use Facebook, Twitter, or read newspapers, so I easily avoid spoilers from those.

Separate threads for film & TV
    Why are obvious example quotes taken so literally? "The acting is good, but overall the show is a mess", was just a quick example.

I don't use Facebook, Twitter, or read newspapers, so I easily avoid spoilers from those.

What is the point of examples if they do not say what you mean? Do you take issue with similar quotes about a film you want to watch or is it just when it's about a show that you have a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

The general consensus seems to be the thread is fine the way it is, so why not just change the name to include TV shows and move on.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think the point everyone took from your post was that you considered that quote an example of a spoiler, which doesn't really make any sense if that was the case.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think the point everyone took from your post was that you considered that quote an example of a spoiler, which doesn't really make any sense if that was the case.
    No, that was not an example of a spoiler, it was an example of talking about a hyped shows' positive or negative reviews from critics, which I like to avoid in general, if possible. I feel they shouldn't really be in a film recommendation thread.

• Advertisement

No, that was not an example of a spoiler, it was an example of talking about a hyped shows' positive or negative reviews from critics, which I like to avoid in general, if possible. I feel they shouldn't really be in a film recommendation thread.

Do you have the same issue with positive or negative posts about films in this thread or is only the ones about shows that annoy you? Also, what really constitutes a TV show when it comes to Netflix originals? Are mini-series and one-off short run documentary series okay to talk about in a positive or negative manner?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,631 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The way I look at Netflix dropping full seasons of tv shows is like watching 10/12/15 or 22 hour movies anyway in these days of binging.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Right so, one easy and fair way to settle this debate - democracy!

Have set up a poll for y'all to express your preferences. Since this thread is going to be closed reasonably shortly anyway due to the 10,000 post limit, no better opportunity to reconsider what the limitations / lack thereof on thread v2.0 are!

Myself and the other mods will discuss the results and amend the rules / threads as necessary.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

My problem with splitting the thread is that it's already been done and not one person who has complained about the TV posts in here has posted in that other thread, which implies they don't actually want a separate thread for TV shows, they just want the TV talk out of here. The people who were/are fine with the thread as it is are generally the people who contribute the most and are happy with things the way they are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In tandem with keeping the thread as is, I think both the title & OP description should be updated to indicate that Netflix TV show recommendations are also fine. If it's flagged at the start of the thread, I'm sure fewer people will be inclined to complain.

IE: "Netflix - Film & TV Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*"

*drops mic*

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,631 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wait till the why isn't Amazon prime film & tv recommendations allowed and only Netflix. ;)

Maybe just go with Streaming Film and tv recommendations as more and more legal sites are becoming available in Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I should clarify that my suggestion wasn't so much separate film and tv threads as it was one film only thread located here, and one film & tv thread located in Online TV. This was based on the assumption that tv viewers are less likely to mind having films recommended to them, where as Films forum regulars might not care that 8 seasons of binge-watch show x has been added. But as this discussion and poll prove, most Netflix subscribers don't really differentiate between films and tv. It's all just "content". This is a pretty fundamental part of the Netflix experience, so trying to separate films from tv is probably futile.

But as this discussion and poll prove, most Netflix subscribers don't really differentiate between films and tv. It's all just "content".

I think it's more a case that most people just don't care if people recommend both TV and Film, so to say that people who subscribe to Netflix just see film and tv as "content" just seems like an unnecessary dig.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think it's more a case that most people just don't care if people recommend both TV and Film, so to say that people who subscribe to Netflix just see film and tv as "content" just seems like an unnecessary dig.

I didn't mean as a dig. I watch Netflix the same way. I probably should have said that to Netflix it's just content.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

This thread works very, very well in its current form. The poll (thus far) reflects and supports this! Leave well enough alone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

I prefer to have the one thread - too lazy to have to try and read two separate threads...

Don't know if there would be much traffic to warrant two threads - leave it as it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Even though it's in the film forum I think most people take this thread as a go to for recommendations/new additions on Netflix, be they films or tv show or whatever.

It's a really convenient place to keep up to date and works very well imo.

Even when I stopped subbing to Netflix for months on end I still dropped in to this thread regularly to see what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Woo boy. I didn't mean to prompt so much discussion, I just thought the post I was replying to seemed a bit confused about Fargo's Irish broadcast status, and I was being flippant.....There's an online TV subforum in television, which also is confused sometimes, because it seems to defer to whether a show is broadcast or is online-only in the US, when it can be the opposite situation in Ireland. And things like a documentary or stand-up special can sort of blur the line between film and TV. I'm just amused at the confusing label all these threads have.

IMO, I think when people just want to watch a film, they just want to watch a film and are not in the present mood to start a TV show they won't finish, so there should be a film and special-only thread, and also a general Film and TV Netflix thread like this one acts as. I don't mind it so much, I just imagine it would be annoying if I didn't have the time to waste going through a thread and just wanted some quick recommendations for films.

Anyway, the poll is decisive already, so leave it as a general Netflix recommendations thread.

...So, anyone seen the new MST3K? (Heh, does this count as films or not?.....)

CHANGE: An Irish Opposition
    Mod note: Right so, one easy and fair way to settle this debate - democracy!
    "If voting made any difference, they wouldn't let us do it."

Thanks for the poll, but it was quite obvious people didn't want change.
    Wait till the why isn't Amazon prime film & tv recommendations allowed and only Netflix. ;)

Maybe just go with Streaming Film and tv recommendations as more and more legal sites are becoming available in Ireland.
    A thread for all streaming services makes more sense than just one for Netflix's content.

Occono wrote: »

...So, anyone seen the new MST3K? (Heh, does this count as films or not?.....)

Now you're just causing trouble :pac:

• Advertisement

CHANGE: An Irish Opposition

A thread for all streaming services makes more sense than just one for Netflix's content.

You really couldn't have one thread for every streaming service, hell there's so many niche ones that you could spend all day recommending great films on platforms like Mubi and Fandor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

What did people think of the Chapelle specials? Apparently they were the most watched thing on Netflix, ever.

I enjoyed the first one to a point, didn't find it as funny as his stuff from years ago, not sure if I've changed, or he has, or both.

His joke about Steven Avery was pretty funny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Quite enjoyed both of them. Some of the OJ Simpson related stuff was funny. Looking forward to the third one.

tigger123 wrote: »
    What did people think of the Chapelle specials? Apparently they were the most watched thing on Netflix, ever.

I enjoyed the first one to a point, didn't find it as funny as his stuff from years ago, not sure if I've changed, or he has, or both.

His joke about Steven Avery was pretty funny :)

I saw a review of his latest one that basically applauded him and some other comedian, Louis CK maybe, for taking Netflix's money and then delivering the worst shows of their careers. It implied they phoned in their specials and were happy to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

I saw a review of his latest one that basically applauded him and some other comedian, Louis CK maybe, for taking Netflix's money and then delivering the worst shows of their careers. It implied they phoned in their specials and were happy to do so.

The first is very very funny. The second is funny at the start but then its kind of like he gives up half way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

What a stupid poll. There is already an entire forum for online TV services and shows. This thread should be movie recommendations only.

What a stupid poll. There is already an entire forum for online TV services and shows. This thread should be movie recommendations only.

You're entitled to your opinion as much as anyone but given you've posted 3 times in this thread* I have to wonder why you have such strong feelings on the matter.

*One of which was to give out about TV shows being mentioned in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Morshlac

lol 92% say no chief.
    I'd like to recommend Black Mirror coz its aweome and also The Nice guys.
    just coz i can....

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

For those searching for Netflix movies (& TV programmes Shhhh!) to watch I found this Youtube video which makes some good suggestions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opegw-QwvGg

A lot of you will know about these tips already but I found some useful ones such as Netflix roulette and a handy chrome extension which lets you search for what's available by lots of different categories.

Hope this helps. Happy viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Thanks for your feedback all, much appreciated.

The poll results are clear (barring some late surge in support for the 'separate threads' side ;)). With that in mind, here's what I'd propose:

This thread (and its successor) operates as normal. We remove the explicit reference to films in the title and OP, and allow this to be the general Netlflix recommendations thread it has grown to be (and hence stop this debate breaking out every other month). More thorough discussions about individual films or show will be broken off into separate threads and moved if necessary. This is above all the film forum, so gentle reminders that Television forums exist and should be used :) For a vast majority of posters, though, it'll be business as usual.

For the film purists (*raises hand*) we start a separate but complementary thread on Streaming and VOD film recommendations. That'd have a broader purview than just Netflix, but any TV discussion would be deleted. This would address one of the points raised in this thread - that there's now Amazon, Mubi and other services - while hopefully offering a safe haven for those who don't want TV chat mixed in with their film recommendations. I'd hope it'd be different enough to not splinter or disrupt this thread.

IMO that's the easiest way to deal with this without changing what an overwhelming majority of posters appreciate about this thread, but also hopefully addressing some of the concerns of others (which are hardly invalid - this is a film forum after all!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement