Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Watched a couple of things in the Irish Netflix

Indie Game: Found this to be a fantastic little documentary about independant video game developers, we see the lives of individuals behind the code who create what they feel is an artform. But the otherside is the obsession of perfection, the fear of failure, critisism and misinterpretation of their message. Well worth the watch

Windfall: A documentary about a small upstate New York town recieving offers to put up wind turbines in their town. The main focus of the documentary are the local against the project who oppose them due to danger of turbines catching fire, falling over, killing bats and being harmful to peoples health (:rolleyes:). Afterwards I researched the film and found it was created by Coal Industry lobbyists to sway public opinion about Wind Power. Was shocked at this level of propaganda in the mordern age and would only recommend the movie to see how misguiding it is.

Outlander: A sci fi movie where Jim Caviesel is an alien who crash lands in 700 AD Norway and finds the local warrior clans being killed by a creature who he somehow brought with him. I like sci fi but the cgi and acting is atrcious and the film in general is simply Muck.

Off films i spent this month justifying my €7 by watching the excellent Modern Family and the Danish series "The Killing", simply fantastic viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Outlander: A sci fi movie where Jim Caviesel is an alien who crash lands in 700 AD Norway and finds the local warrior clans being killed by a creature who he somehow brought with him. I like sci fi but the cgi and acting is atrcious and the film in general is simply Muck.
    When i saw outlander in your post i couldn't believe you were recommending it, till i read your review..

Couldn't agree more, drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Watched a couple of things in the Irish Netflix

Indie Game: Found this to be a fantastic little documentary about independant video game developers, we see the lives of individuals behind the code who create what they feel is an artform. But the otherside is the obsession of perfection, the fear of failure, critisism and misinterpretation of their message. Well worth the watch

Windfall: A documentary about a small upstate New York town recieving offers to put up wind turbines in their town. The main focus of the documentary are the local against the project who oppose them due to danger of turbines catching fire, falling over, killing bats and being harmful to peoples health (:rolleyes:). Afterwards I researched the film and found it was created by Coal Industry lobbyists to sway public opinion about Wind Power. Was shocked at this level of propaganda in the mordern age and would only recommend the movie to see how misguiding it is.

Off films i spent this month justifying my €7 by watching the excellent Modern Family and the Danish series "The Killing", simply fantastic viewing.

I'm confused now! is The Killing not an American TV show?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Originally Danish remade for US television.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

nocoverart wrote: »
    I'm confused now! is The Killing not an American TV show?

The US version is a remake of the Danish version.

Many people find it superior to its American predecessor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm about six episodes into Parks and Recreation, which i started watching on the back of this thread. Not sure I'm feeling it thus far. Does it improve much or if I don't like it now is there much point in continuing?

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike it but I don't so far see it to be much better than any one of a number of similar US comedies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

the first season is mediocre, the second season comes into it's own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Is Sons of Anarchy Season 5 on Netflix here now?

**/ Edit **/

Nevermind I see that it is only coming in 2013 on the Sky website so I assume its not on Netflix yet, anyway have it set up on nevermiss now.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV

You think thats bad, give The Gret Global Warming Swindle a look, full version is on youtube.

Looks like a bunch of new additions to the irish site. The three David Attenborough series Planet Earth, Life and Frozen Planet are all up, well worth a look particularly if you can stream HD as the cinematography in them is amazing.

This Must Be the Place with Sean Penn is also there under new releases. I thought the trailer looked good, but have heard a few say the film's not great. Will give it a look anyway.

In the older films there's:
    Crouching Tiger,Hidden Dragon
    As Good as it Gets
    The Karate Kid I & II
    Dead Man Walking
    Foxy Brown
    Cruel Intentions
    Godzilla
    Scent of a Woman
    Street Fighter (Van Damme one)
    Muppets take Manhatten
    Mission:Impossible
    The Hunt for Red October
    The Cable Guy
    In the Line of Fire
    Black Snake Moan
    Hook
    Jumanji
    Waterworld
    Last Action Hero

Also couldn't help but notice MacGyver is there too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I'm about six episodes into Parks and Recreation, which i started watching on the back of this thread. Not sure I'm feeling it thuse far. Does it improve much or if I don't like it now is there much point in continuing?

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike it but I don't so far see it to be much better than any one of a number of similar US comedies.

To me, the Hunting Trip episode of season 2 was the major watershed where it went from a merely ok sitcom to a pretty great one. It's that ****e plotline with the pit that caused the earlier episodes to be so dull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Cheers guys, I'll carry on with it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Pedalare Pedalare!

Lot more to come this year. http://ukirelandblog.netflix.com/2013/01/celebrating-one-year-in-uk-ireland.html

The Hunger Games, Thor, Rango, Magic Mike, Gossip Girl, The Tudors, Fringe and Justified.

And then there's David Fincher's House of Cards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

New Netflix original series coming April 19th called Hemlock Grove from Eli Roth:

Doesn't look like my sort of thing tbh but could be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

How many new movies are added every week to NF? Just signed up for the months free trial and have been happy enough. But they really would need to be adding a few new movies a week.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    How many new movies are added every week to NF? Just signed up for the months free trial and have been happy enough. But they really would need to be adding a few new movies a week.

I'm not even sure it happens weekly tbh. They've more than doubled their catalogue in the last year though.

Its worth getting access to the american catalogue too, loads more stuff on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I think its worth purely just to have when you're stuck for something to watch, 7 quid a month is nothing given the amount of stuff available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

krudler wrote: »
    I think its worth purely just to have when you're stuck for something to watch, 7 quid a month is nothing given the amount of stuff available

7 euro's for House of Cards alone is worth it.

I don't think they have a set release schedule, things just get added randomly. You can keep up with everything new on this page: http://uk.istreamguide.com/

Netflix also lists new highlights on it's FB and Twitter pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Whores' Glory is on U.S Netflix now. Beautifully made documentary about prostitution, hard-hitting stuff but I highly recommend it. Quality music in it too from the likes of CocoRosie and PJ Harvey.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I'm about six episodes into Parks and Recreation, which i started watching on the back of this thread. Not sure I'm feeling it thus far. Does it improve much or if I don't like it now is there much point in continuing?

S1 is pretty poor but S2 onwards is brilliant.

• Advertisement

Netflix has just launched SuperHD worldwide for 1080p enabled devices and 3D content for US customers. It seems that availability is determined on if your ISP is a part of netflix's Open Connect platform. When I browse the US catalogue on the PS3, I see the SuperHD tag (but no 3D on 3D-enabled content) on most HD content but it won't stream it at that quality (although this could be due to my wireless connection).
    On the UK/Ireland side of things I see no such tag on any content and when I go to the Netflix superHD page it tells me that my ISP is not enabled for superHD: https://signup.netflix.com/superhd

As a UPC 100MB customer, I'd definitely welcome a higher quality stream if it were to become available.

More info here:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2024447/netflix-offers-super-hd-streaming-to-cablevision-gogle-fiber-users.html

They also seem to be launching personal profiles soon, so users in the same house will get personalised recommendations based on what they watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Watched Stardust today on Irish Netflix, Claire Danes accent is a bit wonky but great otherwise, brilliant fantasy film similar vein to The Princess Bride which is also on Netflix.

Also watched Blitz today, standard Jason Statham, not very good. Can't remember whether it was Irish or US I watched it on, but wouldn't recommend it on either.

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Netflix has just launched SuperHD worldwide for 1080p enabled devices and 3D content for US customers. It seems that availability is determined on if your ISP is a part of netflix's Open Connect platform. When I browse the US catalogue on the PS3, I see the SuperHD tag (but no 3D on 3D-enabled content) on most HD content but it won't stream it at that quality (although this could be due to my wireless connection).
    On the UK/Ireland side of things I see no such tag on any content and when I go to the Netflix superHD page it tells me that my ISP is not enabled for superHD: https://signup.netflix.com/superhd

As a UPC 100MB customer, I'd definitely welcome a higher quality stream if it were to become available.

More info here:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2024447/netflix-offers-super-hd-streaming-to-cablevision-gogle-fiber-users.html

They also seem to be launching personal profiles soon, so users in the same house will get personalised recommendations based on what they watch.

Thats great, surely only a matter of time before it goes worldwide.

Just upgraded the internet this week to 3mb (was only 1mb before :eek:), the quality used to be pretty good considering on the 1mb but its brilliant on 3mb (though not quite HD), better quality than TV channels and easily on par if not better than DVD.
    dooferoaks wrote: »
    Watched Stardust today on Irish Netflix, Claire Danes accent is a bit wonky but great otherwise, brilliant fantasy film similar vein to The Princess Bride which is also on Netflix.

Stardust is a great film, very funny in places. Highly recommend the book, the ending is different and its a fair bit more violent than the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The Flowers Of War is on US Netflix, if anyone is interested in films like Brotherhood, Assembly etc then its definitly worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Does anyone know how to send the monthly subscription after the usual date?

I have Netflix set up with a debit card on my Paypal account but yesterday there wasn't enough cash on the card for the monthly fee so I missed it. I have since added funds to the card, but Netflix keep prompting me to change the payment method. Should they take it automatically or do I have to send it manually?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to send the monthly subscription after the usual date?

I have Netflix set up with a debit card on my Paypal account but yesterday there wasn't enough cash on the card for the monthly fee so I missed it. I have since added funds to the card, but Netflix keep prompting me to change the payment method. Should they take it automatically or do I have to send it manually?

Just submit it manually on that page again, comes through straight away

Just submit it manually on that page again, comes through straight away

On what page? Can't find any page on Netflix with a submit option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    On what page? Can't find any page on Netflix with a submit option.

I mean the page that says change payment options just put in the same card again.

I mean the page that says change payment options just put in the same card again.

I don't have it linked with a card directly. It doesn't allow me to re-add Paypal. Looks like this:

UZ9TN.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

dooferoaks wrote: »

Also watched Blitz today, standard Jason Statham, not very good. Can't remember whether it was Irish or US I watched it on, but wouldn't recommend it on either.

Stardust is great, the book is too, hadnt read any of Neil Gaiman's stuff beforehand but his books are excellent

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement