Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Does anyone ever have trouble with the search function on US Netflix? Using it with my xbox but when I try to search nothing is appearing for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Watched For the Bible Tells Me So, very good documentary about irrational homophobia in religion and how it affected devout families who had gay children. Very moving and it demonstrates so many of the fallacies that comes from bigotry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I'm having trouble with US netflix, movies aren't loading up quarter/half way then not starting? keep getting the message 'we're having trouble playing this right now'

• Registered Users Posts: 34,900 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah was like that earlier for me, seems fine now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

EdenHazard wrote: »
    I'm having trouble with US netflix, movies aren't loading up quarter/half way then not starting? keep getting the message 'we're having trouble playing this right now'

Its been doing that for the last while, What usually sorts it out, on ps3 anyway, is if you restart the console and go back in it usually works.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Yeah yeah ah its worth it for the content available. any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

US Netflix down for me at moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭positron

Noticed the Indian movie shot in Dublin - 'Ek Tha Tiger' - is netflix over the weekend. Be warned though - it's rather sh1te.

Now, if you fancy a really good Indian movie, check out "3 Idiots" - there's a 720p version with subtitles on Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭HelpImAlive

Watched Shame starring Michael Fassbender on Irish Netflix last week. Great film, with a really good plot. Might be a bit graphic but definitely worth a watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Fat Sick and Nearly Dead on US netflix (Could be on Irish or UK too) is a good watch if you're even thinking about diets or just healthy eating in general.

It's been said a bunch of times but Parks and Rec is a must watch - US Netflix

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    Just watched This Must Be the Place on Irish Netflix.

It was ok, it held my attention for the whole run time and it has a great soundtrack. Its worth watching for the live performance of the title song in the middle alone. As a film, overall it's pretty rambling and unfocused but I still found it reasonably likeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Just watched This Must Be the Place on Irish Netflix.

It was ok, it held my attention for the whole run time and it has a great soundtrack. Its worth watching for the live performance of the title song in the middle alone. As a film, overall it's pretty rambling and unfocused but I still found it reasonably likeable.

Really like Penn in general and the Indie/Goth music he's supposed to be part in that movie but that film was dreadful! Switched it off after an hour, did it even get a cinema release over here?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Really like Penn in general and the Indie/Goth music he's supposed to be part in that movie but that film was dreadful! Switched it off after an hour, did it even get a cinema release over here?

Not sure, a limited one at most I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It did get a cinema release around March-April last year.

Awful film though, with a performance from Penn that borders on inadvertent parody. As Mickeroo said, David Byrne's performance of This Must Be The Place is the best thing about it, but that's on youtube! Can't begrudge the film too much, though, as it won me a season ticket to JDIFF this year :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I didn't think This Must Be the Place was that bad, just rather slow and dull, despite the eccentric main character. Very disappointing because I had high hopes based on the trailer.

I've always had mixed feelings about Penn. The best actors are in sync the rest of the cast and the story the film is trying to tell, where as Penn often seems like he's more interested in "acting". For all the good performances he's given over the years, he's given dozens where I thought he came close to ruining the film. He really needs a strong director to reign him in.

Oh and he was terrible in Gangster Squad, though he wasn't the only one. Gosling...

I didn't think This Must Be the Place was that bad, just rather slow and dull, despite the eccentric main character. Very disappointing because I had high hopes based on the trailer.

I've always had mixed feelings about Penn. The best actors are in sync the rest of the cast and the story the film is trying to tell, where as Penn often seems like he's more interested in "acting". For all the good performances he's given over the years, he's given dozens where I thought he came close to ruining the film. He really needs a strong director to reign him in.

Oh and he was terrible in Gangster Squad, though he wasn't the only one. Gosling...

He was great in "Milk" though, still, like Eastwood, perhaps he should start to get more into directing, "Into The Wild" and his older films like "Crossing Guard" and "The Pledge" showed great directing promise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

One thing that really bothered me about the film (aside from Penn) was the cinematography was so pretentious. Every single ****ing shot was an elaborate track or distracting swooping crane. It was frustrating and didn't serve the story in any meaningful way. I remember one shot featuring a track and zoom towards and under a metal truck - you could just tell the shot was digitally altered since you couldn't see the camera reflection. When you're noticing stuff like that, it's not a good sign at all.

Watched Rainbow Song, now on US Netflix - an affecting and emotional drama about a young guy whose friend is killed in a plane crash. Opening with the death, the film jumps back and tracks the development of their friendship over the course of a number of years. Its co-scripted by the great Shunji Iwai, and his fingerprints are all over it despite the presence of a different director. It's long and full of unusual tangents (such as a short film made within the film being shown in its entirety), but that's what makes it so memorable. The characters are very well developed, and the cinematography is bright and captivating. It doesn't give itself over to sentimentality as much as a lesser film on the same topic would, and is an involving look at regret and missed opportunity as a result.

It's probably not quite as accomplished or bold as some of Iwai's own directorial efforts - although the criminally underseen Hana & Alice, on US Netflix too, is unfortunately the only one that's easy to get your hands on - but well worth a watch.

I watched Groundhog Day at the same time every night for the last week, really weird sensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

I watched Groundhog Day at the same time every night for the last week, really weird sensation.

and now anytime you hear sonny and cher you go into a homicidal rage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Myself my Mrs and brother in law get together every February 2nd to watch Groundhog Day. :pac:

Just watched "5 Broken Cameras" on US Flix, great documentary which uses the footage shot by a Palestinian farmer over 5 years or so of the encroachment of Israeli settlements on to the land of his village as well as footage of his family growing up, as you might guess the title comes from the cameras he had that were broken by either Israeli soldiers or settlers (apart from one damaged in a car crash that nearly kills him) He is actually quiet a decent cameraman and its shot quiet well. Equally sad, especially
    the death of his friend Phil, a nice guy popular in the village who is shot dead by a soldier on camera
    and anger inducing, surprised its on US Netflix it would be great if it gets watched by Americans who only get the Israeli side in their media. 8/10.

Hamlet 2 starring Steve Coogan is on the Irish one now, thought it was a very funny film.

Seems to be a few others added too waking Life, John Ford's Grapes of Wrath, The Curse of the Golden Flower and a Gus Van Sant movie I hadn't heard of called Restless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Lost In Translation seems to have been removed. :mad:

One of my favorite films and I was really looking forward to seeing the beautiful photography of modern Tokyo in HD. Oh well.

e_e wrote: »
    Lost In Translation seems to have been removed. :mad:

One of my favorite films and I was really looking forward to seeing the beautiful photography of modern Tokyo in HD. Oh well.

Hopefully be added again soon, they have a habit of doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Breaking Bad is probably the best TV show in the last ten years. Utterly amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

Reebrock wrote: »
    Breaking Bad is probably the best TV show in the last ten years. Utterly amazing.

I agree. I am glad to see on IMDB it is now the second highest rated TV show of all time, behind only The Wire (well and Planet Earth but that is obviously a documentary series). It is by a country mile the best show currently on TV and it's a crime the sheer amount of people who havent even heard of it let alone seen it. :rolleyes:

Not sure if this has been posted but came across a great website that lists off all the films and TV shows available on Netflix in every country. Great for searching genres or by actors. Just click on the Netflix logo and it lists which countries each title is available in. http://www.moreflicks.com/

Just noticed 'The Sheild' - all 7 seasons is available on Netflix Mexico - easily one of the greatest TV shows of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Reebrock wrote: »

Couldn't resist :)

Best show ever though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

No End In Sight (US Netflix)
    Fantastic documentary about the massive balls up the US made after invading Iraq.

• Advertisement

No End In Sight (US Netflix)
    Fantastic documentary about the massive balls up the US made after invading Iraq.

They should run it with "Zero Dark ...." as a double bill, maybe for a bit of balance.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement