Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Kind of off Topic but are we (anyone using US Netflix) actually seeing the new Super HD program's & movies, the picture is very good quality for me.
    Sorry didn't know where else to ask..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Kind of off Topic but are we (anyone using US Netflix) actually seeing the new Super HD program's & movies, the picture is very good quality for me.
    Sorry didn't know where else to ask..

It completely depends on the internet provider supporting it, do the.likes of UPC in Ireland? You might just be watching the v good "High Hd" setting.

e_e wrote: »
    Lost In Translati.on seems to have been removed. :mad:

One of my favorite films and I was really looking forward to seeing the beautiful photography of modern Tokyo in HD. Oh well.

Bought it on dvd the day it came out and that was after seeing it three times in the cinema, oh Scarlet!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Thrillers - the genre in which Hollywood stars glance left (their right) suspiciously.

elbgcg.jpg

I noticed that the Farrelly's "Three Stooges" film is on Netflix Canada, I didn't even notice it getting a cinema release over here, in two minds whether to watch it or not, never a fan of their primarily physical humour, the Marx brothers (mainly because of Groucho's one liners) would have been a much better choice of a classic comedy team to make a film about imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

David Fincher and Kevin Spacey's House of Cards is on Irish and US now. Netflix exclusive. You can't miss it on the PS3 anyway ;)
    I noticed that the Farrelly's "Three Stooges" film is on Netflix Canada, I didn't even notice it getting a cinema release over here, in two minds whether to watch it or not, never a fan of their primarily physical humour, the Marx brothers (mainly because of Groucho's one liners) would have been a much better choice of a classic comedy team to make a film about imo.

Don't, it's garbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

I had the day off and had a House of Card's marathon I have to say it very well made and highly enjoyable if your a fan of the West Wing and political drama you will enjoy it.

Well done Netflix looking forward to seeing the other new show's they are making which will be released this year. But it will be hard to follow such a well made show.

HBO watch out you have competition.

But it will be hard to follow such a well made show.

Arrested.
    Development.

Auto-win.

Arrested.
    Development.

Auto-win.

But that's not really a Netflix Original, Like the rest of the shows Netflix are making. Arrested Development already has a build in a audience.

House of Cards, Orange Is The New Black & Hemlock Grove don't have that so to compare them to Arrested Development is a mistake and unfair.

David Fincher and Kevin Spacey's House of Cards is on Irish and US now. Netflix exclusive. You can't miss it on the PS3 anyway ;)

Don't, it's garbage.

Just had a quick look at first episode going to watch it later, strange aspect ratio, slight bit of black top and bottom kind of 15 3/4 - 9 if you know what I mean, for something aimed at "tv" only release (as opposed to cinema I mean) why would they do that instead of 16/9, strange. Btw I wonder if "Boss" prompted them to make a series about a nasty bunch of political types?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    Seems the first episode is available to watch even if you don't sign up to Netflix. Decent marketing ploy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Watching the first episode of House of Cards and the whole talking to you, the audience at home parts bother me! they really fookin bother me. I think it just devalues the seriousness of it all. That kind of thing should just be left for the likes of Mrs Browns Boys.

nocoverart wrote: »
    Watching the first episode of House of Cards and the whole talking to you, the audience at home parts bother me! they really fookin bother me. I think it just devalues the seriousness of it all. That kind of thing should just be left for the likes of Mrs Browns Boys.

That is taken from the BBC version of the show.

nocoverart wrote: »

Thats taken from the original BBC version of the early 90's in which that device played a big and in my opinion effective part, also used in High Fidelity and a couple of Cohen Bros ones like Big Lebowski and Hudsucker Proxy, plus a few Woody Allen's, 24 Hour Party People etc, I have no problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Aliana

Not going to read the whole thread so these might have already been suggested. Budrus and Mugabe and the White African, I found them to be two very effective documentaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

diarios de motocicleta, man seen its on netflix, love that movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 teddymc

Arrested.
    Development.

Auto-win.

Each to their own I guess but that show is pap!! There is a reason it was axed the first time round.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    teddymc wrote: »
    Each to their own I guess but that show is pap!! There is a reason it was axed the first time round.

You've made a huge mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Watched resurrecting the champ last night, great film well worth watching

Mickeroo wrote: »

So am I going to find horse's head in my bed for having an opinion?

That would be your mistake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Also Trishna is another good film with with Freida Pinto in it for some eye candy .
    Both films I hadn't heard if but were unexpectedly good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I tried to find a suitable quote to emphasise my shock and horror. But I’m afraid I just blue myself from the sheer shock of the moment. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

And now the story of someone who has made a huge mistake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 ThereCanBOnly1

Arrested.
    Development.

Auto-win.
    And now the story of someone who has made a huge mistake.

Longtime lurker first time poster.

But I must say the snobbery elitism by some of the posters in here is amazing!

Someone wants to have an opinion and with in mintues they are jumped on by the so called Boards experts and who say they are wrong and made a mistake because they didn't like the same thing as the guys who posts hundreds of comments here a week.

Posting hundreds of comments and becoming a Mod on the internet does not make your opinion any more valid than someone who posts once in a blu (pun intended) moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Yet its revered as one of the best comedy shows ever made. Some of the best shows were cancelled before their time, by that logic Two And A Half Men must be the best tv show ever made.

Longtime lurker first time poster.

But I must say the snobbery elitism by some of the posters in here is amazing!

Someone wants to have an opinion and with in mintues they are jumped on by the so called Boards experts and who say they are wrong and made a mistake because they didn't like the same thing as the guys who posts hundreds of comments here a week.

Posting hundreds of comments and becoming a Mod on the internet does not make your opinion any more valid than someone who posts once in a blu (pun intended) moon.

I have to agree to an extent with your post.

But part of the fun of Boards is to see other peoples opinions of the same movies and shows that you watch.

Some do take it way to serious, some give very good reviews, some are well just....I'll leave it at that as I don't want a ban ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,130 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone know a good site with the upcoming release dates of shows and films on Netflix US and UK/Ireland versions.

In fairness all those comments were completely tongue in cheek, especially since the 'you've made a huge mistake' line is a well-known quote from AD itself. And my initial comment was in relation to how Netflix's self funded programming will at least offer one reliably excellent follow-up to House of Cards.

krudler wrote: »
    Yet its revered as one of the best comedy shows ever made. Some of the best shows were cancelled before their time, by that logic Two And A Half Men must be the best tv show ever made.

No one here said anything about Two and Half Men. Pleas don't bring that sh1t up.

I am also a huge fan of Firefly so yes I know plenty of shows get cancelled before their time.

I personally think A.D is pap.

I am allowed to have that opinion am I not?

• Advertisement

I am allowed to have that opinion am I not?

Of course.

Every opinion here is as valid as someone else's, although when you express an unpopular one its safe to say you should expect disagreements :)

Oh, and for the record, Arrested Development series 3 was undoubtedly a disappointment. I feel confident saying the years of planning should ensure season four is a bit more polished and ambitious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement