Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Anyway....

The great and I do mean great and if you don't think it's great you can F off ;)

The Pillars of the Earth is now on the Irish Netflix.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    Well that got out of hand. I didn't mean to cause offence at all. I just riffing on a well known line from the show, if someone doesn't like the show thats fine by me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

teddymc wrote: »
    I am allowed to have that opinion am I not?
    Yes, and people are allowed to disagree and challenge you on said opinion.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Well that got out of hand. I didn't mean to cause offence at all. I just riffing on a well known line from the show, if someone doesn't like the show thats fine by me.

See there lies the problem. If someone doesn't like the show they are not going to get that well know line.

Then everything gets taken the wrong way and when others join in things get out of hand at bit. But to be honest its not he worst I've seen things get out of hand on Boards :p

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

See there lies the problem. If someone doesn't like the show they are not going to get that well know line.

Yeah well, I guess it was more for the benefit of the people who do like the show, but anyway.....

Watched Michael Haneke's Caché the other night on irish NF. Was an interesting film and my first Haneke film to boot. It felt like it was more a social commentary than a straight up thriller , and I can see why Haneke's approach gets lauded so much. Might have to give it another watch at some point as I feel I may have missed the odd detail here and there.
    Almost didn't spot the 2 sons talking in the final shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Heres my tuppence worth on "Arrested Development", average, occasionally quite good show, but definitely not in the Cheers/Seinfeld/Father Ted/Peep Show/Curb/Uk Office list of greats of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 teddymc

Yeah well, I guess it was more for the benefit of the people who do like the show, but anyway.....[/SPOILER]

So for the benefit of others to have a giggle at you pick out one persons opinion and you can't see why someone gets upset at this?

I might have to take my opinion on that to AH or I might get banned for saying CyberBully oh I said it anyway lol

:pac::pac::pac: smiley faces always show you are making your post in jest :p:rolleyes:;):D

If you've watched the show and formed an opinion of it surely you can remember one of its most popular lines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 teddymc

Anyway....

The great and I do mean great and if you don't think it's great you can F off ;)

The Pillars of the Earth is now on the Irish Netflix.

Very good mini series sadly the sequal didn't live up its stanards.

I feel confident saying the years of planning should ensure season four is a bit more polished and ambitious.

Or like a lot of sequels the anticipation grows so much that the show it's shelf is a let down.

Example Star Wars 1-3 I am in no way comparing the two. Just the anticipation of the fans of both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Anyone know a good site with the upcoming release dates of shows and films on Netflix US and UK/Ireland versions.

http://instantwatcher.com/
    http://uk.istreamguide.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

"That show is pap" is not an opinion, it's trying to present it as fact. You deserve to have a comment like that ridiculed, like if someone came into another thread and said the Godfather is pure rubbish they'd be rightly ridiculed. It's ok to have an opinion but present it as an opinion and there will be a lot less tears shed when you are called on it.

Also to say the reason it was cancelled is because it was "pap" was silly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ok so thread has been derailed a bit so lets get back on topic. As ever, banter, discussion and differing opinion is encouraged, but in a productive and friendly manner!

Was just plowing through the foreign section on the US site and noticed Kobayashi's Harakiri is on there. Nearly sure that wasn't there before? Been wanting to see it for ages. Result!!

V big update on Us Flix including a load of Silent classics and the likes of Tarkovsky's last film "The Sacrifice", also enjoyable more mainstream fare like "As Good as It Gets" and "Being Michael Madsen" !

: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/new/1

Was just plowing through the foreign section on the US site and noticed Kobayashi's Harakiri is on there. Nearly sure that wasn't there before? Been wanting to see it for ages. Result!!

Just added alright, looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's the best samurai film ever made IMO* Alas it's not the HD version, so the gorgeous Masters of Cinema BluRay is still the way to go if you want the full deal (obviously the SD criterion version on Netflix would be perfect for a non HD monitor)

*Yo, come at me Seven Samurai.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Best animes films on us one?

Watching elfen lied atm, good stuff. But not a film

Incredible that the lead actor of Harakiri (Tatsuya Nakadai) is still fairly busy at work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

While the credits on netflix says it's the Kobayashi Harakiri (1962), when you play it, it's the Fritz Lang Harakiri (1919).

• Advertisement

Manchegan wrote: »

While the credits on netflix says it's the Kobayashi Harakiri (1962), when you play it, it's the Fritz Lang Harakiri (1919).

Just checked it there, you're right :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I had to save a few squid this weekend, so House of Cards couldn't of come at a better time. Have to say I've a bad crush on the girl that plays Zoe Barns, how bloody hot is she? I think I'm right in saying she was in Transsiberian and looked every bit as sexy in that as far as I remember. God damn Kevin Spacey, lucky sod

Just checked it there, you're right :(

It' might be a temp error so maybe wait and see - although unlikely given the film itself is the Lang version - but again highly recommend the MoC dual format version.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005C99XRK/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1359856699&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

You won't regret it good sir! Especially since Criterion seem relatively reluctant to put their HD transfers on Netflix, with a few exceptions (not sure if Ran is a Criterion edition). MoC are undoubtedly putting out the best region 2 DVDs and BluRays of classic cinema, and a large reason why physical format still holds such an appeal for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Twilight Samurai is on the Irish/UK Netflix. Worth a look.

nocoverart wrote: »
    I had to save a few squid this weekend, so House of Cards couldn't of come at a better time. Have to say I've a bad crush on the girl that plays Zoe Barns, how bloody hot is she? I think I'm right in saying she was in Transsiberian and looked every bit as sexy in that as far as I remember. God damn Kevin Spacey, lucky sod

Thats Kate Mara, her sister is Rooney Mara who was in Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.
    It' might be a temp error so maybe wait and see - although unlikely given the film itself is the Lang version - but again highly recommend the MoC dual format version.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005C99XRK/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1359856699&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

You won't regret it good sir! Especially since Criterion seem relatively reluctant to put their HD transfers on Netflix, with a few exceptions (not sure if Ran is a Criterion edition). MoC are undoubtedly putting out the best region 2 DVDs and BluRays of classic cinema, and a large reason why physical format still holds such an appeal for me.

I might be tempted to get that if they don't correct the error anytime soon. Been meaning to import a few criterion blu rays too, a couple of the Wes Anderson ones and probably Seven Samurai. Such a shame they never release them over here.

Watched Jeff who Lives at Home last night (US Netflix), really enjoyed it quite a bit. Short and sweet and not what I expected at all. Thought it was much better than Cyrus (though I thought that was decent too), the only other Duplass brothers movie I've seen so far. I notice The Do-Deca-Pentathalon has been added too, might give that a look also.

Thats Kate Mara, her sister is Rooney Mara who was in Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

I might be tempted to get that if they don't correct the error anytime soon. Been meaning to import a few criterion blu rays too, a couple of the Wes Anderson ones and probably Seven Samurai. Such a shame they never release them over here.

Watched Jeff who Lives at Home last night (US Netflix), really enjoyed it quite a bit. Short and sweet and not what I expected at all. Thought it was much better than Cyrus (though I thought that was decent too), the only other Duplass brothers movie I've seen so far. I notice The Do-Deca-Pentathalon has been added too, might give that a look also.

Enjoyed that but "Do Deca...." is awful, has a kind of forced "kookiness."

Enjoyed that but "Do Deca...." is awful, has a kind of forced "kookiness."

Heh I'd be the complete opposite. Thought Jeff... was slight but annoying, but Do-Deca slight but charming. I know I'm in a minority on that one though.

Baghead is still their most interesting film by a distance though.

Heh I'd be the complete opposite. Thought Jeff... was slight but annoying, but Do-Deca slight but charming. I know I'm in a minority on that one though.

Baghead is still their most interesting film by a distance though.

Should have said "quirkiness" but my sentiment still stands, they are second rate Coen wannabes!.

Watched "Blackthorn", a fantastic, mostly unglamorous and unsentimental "revisionist' (aren't they all now?) Western in the mould of "The Assassination of Jesse James.." and the Coen's "True Grit" that deserves to be much better known. It imagines what would have happened to Butch Cassidy if he'd lived into old age, in this case leading a quite life in Bolivia until something (inevitably) changes this. It stars Sam Shepherd (brilliant) and Stephen Rea and is beautifully shot with some stunning landscapes. It also features (in the flashbacks to when him and Sundance were partners) a gorgeous young brunette actress, who I assumed was American, but it turns out is Irish and called Dominique McElligott and who on the strength of her performance here has a bright future. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes the films I mentioned above, finally and this might seem pedantic considering my glowing review, in the opening part where it sets up the scenario in text form there is a glaring typo, instead of saying "Jesse James was one of the most..." it says "Jesse James was one the most.." I just thought it was odd that a film with quite a big budget like this would be released without someone checking it for spelling mistakes like that when even cheap jack, straight to video fare doesn't make that mistake!

• Advertisement

Should have said "quirkiness" but my sentiment still stands, they are second rate Coen wannabes!.

Well while I do tend to like their films I think they're probably the most uneven directors out of their contemporaries and frequent collaborators. Mark Duplass has starred in films that are a good bit more interesting than the ones he has directed. Fellow m********e (aka word that apparently shall not be named) graduates Aaron Katz and Andrew Bujalski are much more accomplished directors overall.

Although can't see how they're in anyway comparable with the Coens, barring being American brothers? Coens make highly stylised genre films, the Duplasses small 'slice of life' comedy-dramas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement