Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Well while I do tend to like their films I think they're probably the most uneven directors out of their contemporaries and frequent collaborators. Mark Duplass has starred in films that are a good bit more interesting than the ones he has directed. Fellow m********e (aka word that apparently shall not be named) graduates Aaron Katz and Andrew Bujalski are much more accomplished directors overall.

Although can't see how they're in anyway comparable with the Coens, barring being American brothers? Coens make highly stylised genre films, the Duplasses small 'slice of life' comedy-dramas.

Not all Coen's films are genre, "A Serious Man" is small and not very stylized and what genre would you consider "No Country..." apart from bonkers!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not all Coen's films are genre, "A Serious Man" is small and not very stylized and what genre would you consider "No Country..." apart from bonkers!

Yeah they have made very exceptions, an oversimplification on my part, but at the same time they've made their name with slick, inventive subversions of all manner of genres. Although I'd disagree A Serious Man isn't stylised, in fact it's very much so...

But still I don't think they are in any meaningful way comparable to the Duplass Brothers. The films they make couldn't be any more different, and I certainly don't think there's any evidence based on their filmography so far that the Duplasses are trying to ape the brothers Coen. The Dardenne Brothers would be a closer match, although still in a different league altogether.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    Watched "Blackthorn", a fantastic, mostly unglamorous and unsentimental "revisionist' (aren't they all now?) Western in the mould of "The Assassination of Jesse James.." and the Coen's "True Grit" that deserves to be much better known. It imagines what would have happened to Butch Cassidy if he'd lived into old age, in this case leading a quite life in Bolivia until something (inevitably) changes this. It stars Sam Shepherd (brilliant) and Stephen Rea and is beautifully shot with some stunning landscapes. It also features (in the flashbacks to when him and Sundance were partners) a gorgeous young brunette actress, who I assumed was American, but it turns out is Irish and called Dominique McElligott and who on the strength of her performance here has a bright future. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes the films I mentioned above, finally and this might seem pedantic considering my glowing review, in the opening part where it sets up the scenario in text form there is a glaring typo, instead of saying "Jesse James was one of the most..." it says "Jesse James was one the most.." I just thought it was odd that a film with quite a big budget like this would be released without someone checking it for spelling mistakes like that when even cheap jack, straight to video fare doesn't make that mistake!

Been meaning to watch this since Darko recommended it over a year ago.

Mickeroo wrote: »

Been meaning to watch this since Darko recommended it over a year ago.

Appalpoosa with Ed Harris is another recent revisionist western that's also well worth a look, if anyone knows anymore post them here.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Appalpoosa with Ed Harris is another recent revisionist western that's also well worth a look, if anyone knows anymore post them here.

Yeah I enjoyed Appaloosa quite a bit.

I didn't mind Seraphim Falls with Pierce Brosnan too much either, though it got pretty bad reviews.

One that slipped under the radar for a lot of people was Open Range from Kevin Costner, more a traditional western than a revisionist, but I thought it was great when it came out. I think it got largely ignored because Kostner's reputation was in tatters by the time it came out but its one of his better films.

Don't think either of those are on NF though unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the 2002 cartoon series remake of Master Of The Universe is on the US one now, watched it years ago when it was first on the cartoon network, cool art style

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The brilliant East European Miserablism of The Turin Horse has hit Netflix Ireland. Be warned: it is extremely slow and repetitive by design, but its oppressive, disturbing tone is like nothing else. A technical marvel too.

Certified Copy is there too - Kiarostami's wordy but oftentimes very lyrical saunter through Tuscany.

Both films demand patience, but they offer plenty of rewards. Been on US Netflix for a while but there now for those who don't have access.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Some good big name films on the Mexican catalogue:

Toy Story 1 & 2
    A Bugs Life
    Ratatouille
    The Incredibles
    Up in the Air
    The Kids are Alright
    The Shining
    Back to the Future 2 & 3
    Forrest Gump

It must be noted that a lot of titles have hard-coded subtitles that can't be switched off while others can be turned off (all the Pixar films for example) but the audio is all in English.

Also noticed that seasons 1 - 3 of Community are on the Canadian netflix which has received a lot of praise around here so I'm going to get stuck into that over the next few days. Also of note on the Canadian catalogue are:

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (havn't seen this one yet but heard positive things)
    The Descendants
    American History X
    The Hurt Locker
    American Psycho
    Pans Labyrinth
    Fantastic Mr. Fox
    Inglorious Basterds
    X-Men First Class
    The Social Network

Was also glad to see that The Larry Sanders Show which was recently removed from US catalogue is still up on the Canadian selection (was only on season 2!).

Sorry for what is basically a random list but I figure a lot of people probably stick the the UK and US catalogues and I only discovered myself tonight that's there's actually a lot of good stuff from the other territories also!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Weird how the Pixar movies aren't in the UK or US :S

Yeah I enjoyed Appaloosa quite a bit.

I didn't mind Seraphim Falls with Pierce Brosnan too much either, though it got pretty bad reviews.

One that slipped under the radar for a lot of people was Open Range from Kevin Costner, more a traditional western than a revisionist, but I thought it was great when it came out. I think it got largely ignored because Kostner's reputation was in tatters by the time it came out but its one of his better films.

Don't think either of those are on NF though unfortunately.

Cheers, "Seraphim Falls" is on the Brazilian flix and "Open Range" is on the Swedish one so will give them both a look.

• Advertisement

allanb49 wrote: »
    Weird how the Pixar movies aren't in the UK or US :S

Not weird at all, it's all about licensing costs/availability, depending on the market other broadcasters or content providers might outbid Netflix for the rights in that Country/Region or they might reckon that they'd make more money from dvd/blu ray sales, all the Bond's up to the one before "Skyfall" are on the Brazillian one for instance whereas over here Sky have probably the rights to show them hence no show on UK Flix etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭opengoal

just finished watching a great foreign film called the hidden face on us netflix. Well worth a watch. Spanish with subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

is there any difference between Irish and UK Netflix these days?

nocoverart wrote: »
    is there any difference between Irish and UK Netflix these days?

Irish & UK NF are one and the same, have been since day one afaik?

Irish & UK NF are one and the same, have been since day one afaik?

More or less. There is apparently the odd title that the UK will get that we won't but its very rare.

Watched both on US Netflix:

The Puffy Chair: Decided to give this a look after I enjoyed Jeff, Who Lives at Home so much. I thought it was pretty good. Its a lot more grounded than Jeff...The performances and dialogue are very naturalistic (guess thats part of the reason they call it mumblecore), you could easily forget you're watching actors. Its pretty funny in places and quite poignant too in its own way. If you're looking for a rom-com (though I hasten to call it that) with an actual realistic portrayal of a relationship then this isn't a bad place to look. I've spotteed Baghead is on Canadian Netflix so that wil probably be my next Duplass brothers movie.

Blackthorn: Gave this a look after Technocentral reminded me about it. Its really very good indeed. If you're a fan of Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid or just westerns in general then its pretty essential viewing imo. Sam Shepard gives a brilliant performance in the title role and he's backed up by a very good supporting cast too with a pretty strong Irish contingent involved. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaimie Lannister from Game of Thrones) and Padraic Delaney are good as the young Butch & Sundance in the flashbacks, their banter very much reminded me of Newman & Redford in the original at times. The cinematography deserves a mention too, the bolivian landscapes are gorgeous looking. I'm genuinely baffled at how a film of this quality got largely ignored, it really is deserving of a much bigger audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Noticed last night on my Samsung Smart TV using UPC Broadband the Netflix app is now showing "SUPERHD" & 5.1 beside alot of the content.

UPC must now be part of the Netflix Open Connect network.

Netflix Open Connect Content Delivery Network

ISPs can directly connect their networks to Open Connect free. ISPs can do this either by free peering with us at common internet exchanges, or can save even more transit costs by putting our free storage appliances in or near their network.

Major ISPs around the world have already connected to Open Connect, including Frontier, British Telecom, TDC, Clearwire, GVT, Telus, Bell Canada, Virgin, Cablevision, Google Fiber, Telmex and more.

As part of Open Connect, we are also sharing our hardware design and the open source software components of the server. These designs are suitable for any other provider of large media files, and are very cost efficient. We welcome commentary and improvements, which will be shared with the community with the goal of a faster, less expensive internet for all.

Open Connect is a single-purpose Content Distribution Network, and by shifting to Open Connect, from using third-party commercial CDNs, we are able to save money and keep consumer prices low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭steve_r

SB-08 wrote: »
    I agree. I am glad to see on IMDB it is now the second highest rated TV show of all time, behind only The Wire (well and Planet Earth but that is obviously a documentary series). It is by a country mile the best show currently on TV and it's a crime the sheer amount of people who havent even heard of it let alone seen it. :rolleyes:

Not sure if this has been posted but came across a great website that lists off all the films and TV shows available on Netflix in every country. Great for searching genres or by actors. Just click on the Netflix logo and it lists which countries each title is available in. http://www.moreflicks.com/

Just noticed 'The Sheild' - all 7 seasons is available on Netflix Mexico - easily one of the greatest TV shows of all time.

Thanks for this - I recently signed up and I was wondering what was and wasn't available on the Irish service - the link was very useful

For those who haven't seen The Raid, it's available on Canadian Netflix now.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Anyone else having problems with the US Netflix? Seems to be acting up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I've just switched on my ps3 and i've had to update Netflix to 1.3, no problems logging on.

DominoDub wrote: »
    Noticed last night on my Samsung Smart TV using UPC Broadband the Netflix app is now showing "SUPERHD" & 5.1 beside alot of the content.

UPC must now be part of the Netflix Open Connect network.

Good to hear, didn't think there'd be any chance of it coming here tbh.

Just watched The Kids are Alright on Netflix Mexico. I enjoyed it but didn't think it was deserving of all the oscar nominations and praise it got at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

One of the best films of last year, Kenneth Lonergan's Margaret is now on Netflix Canada

not sure if its on the Irish one but the US one has Twenty Four Seven (I always thought it was 24/7 on release, anyhoo) Shane Meadow's indie boxing drama, great little movie.

Compliance is up on the Us one too, not sure for how long hadnt spotted it, heard both good and awful things about it,moreso about the subject matter than anything else.

On US Netflix now, this is getting really good reviews and is also on in the JDIFF next week:

http://usa.istreamguide.com/movies/teddy-bear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

House of Cards...... Absolutely riveting TV, best I've seen for quite some time too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Top Secret! is on US Netflix, as good as Airplane! in my humble opinion.

You see, a year ago, I was close to perfecting the first magnetic desalination process, so revolutionary, it was capable of removing the salt from over 500 million gallons of seawater a day. Do you realize what that could mean to the starving nations of the earth?

Wow. They'd have enough salt to last forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Top Secret! is on US Netflix, as good as Airplane! in my humble opinion.

Top Secret is a classic and quotable in the extreme.

• Advertisement

Watched Carnage there the other night on Canadian Netflix. It was good but I felt it probably worked better as a live stage production then a film as it's just 4 people in a room talking for the entirety. Having said that, it's not overlong at only 80mins and it's worth watching for Christophe Waltz alone imo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement