Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Separate threads for film & TV
    Loved House Of Cards. One dud and completely pointless episode in the run of thirteen, but apart from that nigh on perfect.

Spacey gives a powerhouse performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Re: House of Cards, has anyone seen both the original UK series and the US one? Does the US version stand on it's own merit?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

FatRat wrote: »
    As for films, I watched two similar films recently and both were great picks by me if I do say so myself.

"The Experiment" is an extremely thought-provoking film that really got to me somehow and despite being a bit weird as far as the storyline goes it was very interesting.

The exact same can be said about a German film I just watched called "The Wave". If you're a fan of thoughtprovoking deep meaningful films, espeically on human behaviour I'd suggest watching them. Not only that but they are very interesting anyway even if youre not a fan of thinking about what you're watching :pac:

Die Welle is a great film :) Did you watch the original German version (Das Experiment) or the Adrien-Brody-starring US remake (The Experiment)? I've only seen the German version and am idly curious about whether the US version is worth watching...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Darvich wrote: »
    Re: House of Cards, has anyone seen both the original UK series and the US one? Does the US version stand on it's own merit?

fyi, the original UK House of Cards is available on UK Netflix if you want to go back and watch it. I'm planning on giving it a watch before launching into the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Darvich wrote: »

Yes, I've seen both. The US version is just as good if not better than the original.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

grimm2005 wrote: »
    fyi, the original UK House of Cards is available on UK Netflix if you want to go back and watch it. I'm planning on giving it a watch before launching into the new one.
    Saw it for the second time a couple of years ago so will probably watch the American one first.
    Yes, I've seen both. The US version is just as good if not better than the original.
    Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ronoc 1

have been watching the pillars of the earth,about half way through and its been excellent so far.if you like game of thrones you should enjoy this.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

The original House Of Cards is fantastic too. Ian Richardson is simply incredible as FU. The first part of the trilogy is obviously the best but 'To Play A King' and The Final Cut are very enjoyable too, even if the ending is a bit of a let down.

Looking for a new show to watch. Thinking about 'Sons Of Anarchy' but a show about bikers doesn't sound like it would be my thing. Breaking Bad, The Wire and The Sopranos are my top 3 shows, and SOA seems to pop up a recommendation a lot so I think I'll give it a go anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭siblers

ronoc 1 wrote: »
    have been watching the pillars of the earth,about half way through and its been excellent so far.if you like game of thrones you should enjoy this.

Only finished watching it myself, superb series. Really looking forward to World Without End.
    Looking for a new show to watch. Thinking about 'Sons Of Anarchy' but a show about bikers doesn't sound like it would be my thing. Breaking Bad, The Wire and The Sopranos are my top 3 shows, and SOA seems to pop up a recommendation a lot so I think I'll give it a go anyway.
    Sons Of Anarchy is meant to be really good but I haven't seen it yet, if its on Netflix you should try Boardwalk Empire. Great series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

I haven't seen the US House of Cards, but watched the first series of the UK one on UPC and it's so good. Ian Richardson in the lead role is fantastic, creepy and seductive, just brilliant to watch. I've heard the new one is great, and I can imagine it would be, as it's a different country and enough time has passed between the two. I feel like they don't wait long enough anymore to make the 'updated version' of great stories, most obvious being Spiderman, where the age difference between the cast of the new Spiderman and the previous actors is so little.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

SB-08 wrote: »

Sons of Anarchy is excellent, it's much more than "a show about bikers". It's essentially modern-day Hamlet in biker leathers; the writing is strong and the cast is great. Give yourself maybe 3-4 episodes to see if you get into it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

SB-08 wrote: »

SOA is pretty bad, some of the acting is laughably poor.

Have you seen The Shield?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm watching Sons of Anarchy (an episode or two into season four) at the moment and enjoying it. It's not the best TV has to offer or anything, and so far lacks the power of the best seasons of The Shield. But it's consistently enjoyable with more than enough interesting characters and plots to keep one engaged.

Be warned season three is a bit rough though. The last episodes make up for a lot, but there's a whole lot of nothing to get through first.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Season 3 nearly killed it for me, the Oirishness, the bad accents, was awful. Season 4 returns to form though. It's a show that's entertaining enough but as subtle as a sledgehammer at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

watched the Channel four's Fresh Meat and Friday Night Dinner tv shows. Fresh Meat is far better with some great characters and awkward scearios.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blass

watched the Channel four's Fresh Meat and Friday Night Dinner tv shows. Fresh Meat is far better with some great characters and awkward scearios.
    I agree that Fresh Meat is better but Friday Night Dinner is excellent in its own way. Some of the gags grow on you as the series progresses. The writer of FND used to produce Peep Show (a true classic).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Benji is a great doc on US Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

"Side By Side" about film vs video in cinema production is on US Flix, well worth a look, thread on here about it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched Terri on the Canadian site lastnite. Has John C. Reilly as a deputy principal in a high school who takes an interest in an over-weight orphan who attends the school (named Terri). It's both funny and honest and touches on some darker themes here and there and the kid in the title role is great.

On one hand it kind of felt like it didn't really go anywhere but on the other hand it was kind of refreshing to see one of these films where
    the main protagonist is actually kind of happy in his own skin from the outset and doesn't really change all that much through the running time.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Headhunters is on Irish Netflix now too, gave it a watch lastnight. Very entertaining cat & mouse thriller that also happens to be very funny too. The whole thing is a bit daft but it seems totally aware of the absurdity of some of the situations the protagonist gets into.

Gave Monsieur Lazhar a watch on US Netflix too. Probably one of the best films I've watched in a while. The premise could easily have lead to a cliched "new teacher takes over class and they both learn from eachother" type scenario and in some ways this is one of those types of films but it's also much more than that. As well as covering themes such as coming to terms with loss it also manages to be a very relevant commentary on what teachers have to deal with in the overly paranoid world we now live in. A very moving film I would recommend to anyone which manages to be both complex and simple all at once.

• Advertisement

The Imposter is on US Netflix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The League season 1 to 3 is on US Netflix, VERY funny, based around Fantasy NFL league . Doesn't really matter if you understand most of the fantasy football element to it, some cracking one liners in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

The League season 1 to 3 is on US Netflix, VERY funny, based around Fantasy NFL league . Doesn't really matter if you understand most of the fantasy football element to it, some cracking one liners in it.
    One of the few situations where Netflix Ireland trumps the US version.

All four season are on the Irish version.

Footoo wrote: »
    One of the few situations where Netflix Ireland trumps the US version.

All four season are on the Irish version.

Fantastic, didn't know that. Didn't even think to check the Irish netflix. Won't have to wait or download the series now. Cheers for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Got my replacement PS3 today, after a Yellow Light Of Death Episode.
    I got it set up for US Netflix, but I've been flat out with work this week. Looking forward to checking out what's on there. I made a list of "classic" movies that I haven't seen yet at the start of January with the aim of seeing one a week, so it was a 52 movie list. Just 2 of them were on Irish Netflix. There's quite a few more of them on US Netflix. This will be a good development when this week of work is over :)

Got my replacement PS3 today, after a Yellow Light Of Death Episode.
    I got it set up for US Netflix, but I've been flat out with work this week. Looking forward to checking out what's on there. I made a list of "classic" movies that I haven't seen yet at the start of January with the aim of seeing one a week, so it was a 52 movie list. Just 2 of them were on Irish Netflix. There's quite a few more of them on US Netflix. This will be a good development when this week of work is over :)

Wait until you see the TV section:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Why the bloody hell did they take The Walking Dead down from both U.S and Irish/UK Netflix?

nocoverart wrote: »
    Why the bloody hell did they take The Walking Dead down from both U.S and Irish/UK Netflix?

First 2 seasons are still on it, on Laptop and PS3, think they are both set up for US Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

First 2 seasons are still on it.

Strange! the first Two seasons are definitely not showing up for me on U.S or Irish Netflix on my laptop, and just tried Irish Netflix on PS3 and not there either

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Could someone pm me how to get the us Netflix on my ps3

Edit: sorted :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement