Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

There is a doc on American Netflix called The Imposter, came out last year. Just watched it and had to come on and recommend it, just a fantastic film, one of those docs that makes me love docs!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The wonderful sequel that spawned countless memes has found its way to Netflix Ireland - Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo! DON'T ALL RUSH AT ONCE. Think of the servers!

Lesser films like Punch Drunk Love and Four Months, Three Weeks, Two Days have also entered the fray, but there's Boogaloo to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Forbrydelsen, The Killing. Nearly finished Season 1. Yeah, I finally got around to watching this, it's great. I'd lash straight in to Season 2, but's it's not on Netflix.
    Next up is exploring US Netflix, I can get it on my PS3.
    I'm wondering, is the knowledge out there on the internets to get Canadian Netflix on PS3, I know it can be got on a laptop. There's some good stuff on there that's not anywhere else. 3 films I want to watch on there for example are On The Waterfront, The Last Picture Show, and Once Upon A Time in America.
    I'm not looking for rule breaking instructions, just wondering is the info out there. Because I can't find it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Forbrydelsen, The Killing. Nearly finished Season 1. Yeah, I finally got around to watching this, it's great. I'd lash straight in to Season 2, but's it's not on Netflix.
    Next up is exploring US Netflix, I can get it on my PS3.
    I'm wondering, is the knowledge out there on the internets to get Canadian Netflix on PS3, I know it can be got on a laptop. There's some good stuff on there that's not anywhere else. 3 films I want to watch on there for example are On The Waterfront, The Last Picture Show, and Once Upon A Time in America.
    I'm not looking for rule breaking instructions, just wondering is the info out there. Because I can't find it :D

The VPN service I use allows you to choose any Netflix region you want, I'd say what it is but not sure if its allowed!

• Advertisement

grimm2005 wrote: »
    The VPN service I use allows you to choose any Netflix region you want, I'd say what it is but not sure if its allowed!

I think I know the one you're on about ;) That works for PS3?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No discussion of regional bypassing, even in vague terms please.

Sound. I knew I was treading a fine line.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Separate threads for film & TV
    Just watched Iron Man 2, because I'm feeling a bit manky and wanted something that wouldn't tax my brain too much.

I never thought I'd be bored at such length by a superhero film. Overlong and boring, with a weak script that wasted Sam Rockwell (and to a lesser extent Mickey Rourke). I'm glad I didn't waste money on seeing that turkey at the cinema. The Black Widow was about the only highlight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Don't think it was particularly well received by the critics but I love Peter Jacksons The Frighteners, on US Netflix. There's a great version of Don't Fear the Reaper by the Mutton Birds at the end, and Jeffrey Combs is fantastically unhinged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Just watched a spanish time travel film called 'Timecrimes'. T'is an entertaining watch although I think it's one of those cases where my mind is stuck in an infinite loop as a result of watching...... :D Definitely worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

The raid on netflix canada **** me what a movie

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Been watching the BBCs Sherlock. Only one episode left, which I will probably watch tonight.

Only two seasons with 3 x 90 minute episodes per season, its an updated version set in modern day London.

I`m sure most here have seen it and while I was aware of it, had never gotten around to watching it.

Highly recommended.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

adox wrote: »
    Been watching the BBCs Sherlock. Only one episode left, which I will probably watch tonight.

Only two seasons with 3 x 90 minute episodes per season, its an updated version set in modern day London.

I`m sure most here have seen it and while I was aware of it, had never gotten around to watching it.

Highly recommended.

Great show, enjoy the last episode!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

adox wrote: »

Highly recommended.
    Season 3 to be made later this year, October time roughly. Delayed because the stars were making The Hobbit & The new Star Trek movie. Having to make do with reruns at the minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cordni

Damages is a great series on Irish Netflix. Legal drama with glen close. Well worth a watch - 5 series available

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched these on Canadian Netflix.

Another Earth:
    Thought this was good but not great. I liked the concept and it was great what they achieved considering the budget. The human drama at it's core is pretty engaging but it was all a bit familiar. Its quite profound in places though and makes for an interesting film, if not the most gripping one.

Liberal Arts:
    This is written by,starring and directed by Josh Radnor from How I Met Your Mother. He plays a guy in his mid thirties who sparks up a relationship with a 19 year old student (Elisabeth Olsen) at his old college. I thought it was better than his first directorial effort (HappyThankYouMorePlease). I expected a straight up rom com but its not really that at all. Its actually a pretty good film about the transition into adulthood and the effect nostalgia can have on us. It also seems to be a bit of a love letter (literally in some ways!) to the written word. Both the leads are good in their roles particularly Olsen who is adorable here. Richard Jenkins, Alison Janney and Zac Efron also feature.

Happy People - A Year in the Taiga:
    Narrated and co-directed by Werner Herzog. This is a great documentary about a year in the life of the indigenous people living in the wilderness of the Taiga. It concentrates mainly on the hunters who spend the winter alone in the wilderness. Its a very interesting window into a hard but rewarding way of life thats very similar to Encounters at the End of the world in many ways. Some very nice cinematography too. Well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Watched Hustle And Flow, really liked this movie, did Terence Howard actually sing the vocals?

Also family watched Deadfall, said it was worth a watch!

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Watched these on Canadian Netflix.

Happy People - A Year in the Taiga:
    Narrated and co-directed by Werner Herzog. This is a great documentary about a year in the life of the indigenous people living in the wilderness of the Taiga. It concentrates mainly on the hunters who spend the winter alone in the wilderness. Its a very interesting window into a hard but rewarding way of life thats very similar to Encounters at the End of the world in many ways. Some very nice cinematography too. Well worth a watch.
    I haven't seen this yet. It's a must watch for me. Herzog made some magnificent films in the 70's and early 80's. He's been making some great documentaries the last few years.
    Grizzly Man. Encounters At The End Of The World. Into The Abyss. Cave Of Forgotten Dreams. All worth checking out, they're on Netflix US. Cave Of Forgotten Dreams is on Irish Netflix. I saw that in 3D in the cinema. A film that is amazing in 3D.
    EDIT. My Best Fiend, a documentary about his working relationship with Klaus Kinski is well worth a watch, it's not on Netflix though.

Yeah I loved both Grizzly Man and Encounters at the End of the World. Been meaning to Into the Abyss and Cave of Forgotten Dreams for a while now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

The Imposter, what a brilliant film.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,886 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^

Watched the first half of this recently and was wrecked so fell asleep..

.. but what I saw was superb!

Really gives a new spin on documentary film-making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Really enjoyed Headhunters.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Watched Into the Wild the other night. Irish netflix. Harrowing stuff in places, good film though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Watching "It's always sunny in Philadelphia" just starting into season 4 its really funny and great that Netflix Ireland have all the seasons!

Been making my way through Community on Canadian Netflix. Very funny stuff and really coming into its own in the second season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

is there much of a difference between the American and Canadian Netflix? Or is it similar in the way that the Irish and the UK Netflix are essentially the same thing?

darced wrote: »

Took a while to grow on me but I think it improves a lot toward the end of that season and the second one keeps it going then. If you're getting restless jump ahead to the paintball episode towards the end of season one, thats where it really won me over. If that episoe doesn't do it for you then maybe its not for you :)
    Gonzo wrote: »
    is there much of a difference between the American and Canadian Netflix? Or is it similar in the way that the Irish and the UK Netflix are essentially the same thing?

I find the Canadian one actually has better content than the US tbh. Lots of newer films on there that the US one doesn't have, as well as a fair few older films and smaller/indie films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

darced wrote: »

Do not give up watching Community until you've seen episode 23 of season 1, "Modern Warfare". Absolutely brilliant. And Season 2 is consistently great.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement