Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    Do not give up watching Community until you've seen episode 23 of season 1, "Modern Warfare". Absolutely brilliant. And Season 2 is consistently great.

Yeah, thats the paintball one! Great episode, and it was directed by Justin Lin who made the last four Fast the Furious films!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Dogtown & Z-Boys (Canadian site): Documentary about how a bunch of surfers revolutionised skateboarding in the 70's. The story was later made into the film Lords of Dogtown (available on Canadian site). Its a really entertaining and engrossing documentary which is similar in style to the director's other film Riding Giants (Riding Giants is a bit better though, best surf film ever made imo). The director is actually Stacy Peralta who is one of the Dogtown skaters himself. Worth a watch even if you're not into the sport.

Martha Marcy May Marlene (Canadian site): Watched this last night. Extremely engrossing film but boy is it tough going in parts. Olsen is just as good as everyone says she is in it, and Hawkes is subtley menacing in his role (I watched him in The Sessions last week too, the man is a chameleon). Its a pretty harrowing portrait of abuse and the damage it can do plus I have to say it's considerably scarier than most horror movies. I found myself buying into Martha's paranoia at times. It also covered somewhat similar territory to Compliance (on US Netflix) in some ways, regarding how susceptible people are to authority figures.

I'm still trying to make my mind up on the ending, and I might have to give it a rewatch at some point to try and clarify some things though its not a film I will relish sitting through again. Either way it really is a must watch imo. Olsen seems like she has a bright future ahead of her, she was great in both this and Liberal Arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Watched a couple of BBC courtroom dramas over the last couple of weeks and both were excellent, both on US Netflix.

ACCUSED 10 seperate episodes in all, spread over two seasons, each episode starts with an accused in custody being brought up to their trial and the rest of the episode is a mixture of flashback and the trial itself with a verdict at the end.
    Some very interesting and varied story lines although the one thing I didnt like was
    the only characters that were found not guilty were women, apart from the Sean Behan character and even at that, he was playing a transvestite.:pac:

CRIMINAL JUSTICE
    A five part one story arc about a young that pciks up a girl, gets high on drink and drugs and wakes up the next morning with the girl dead beside him,stabbed to death. hes quickly arrested and the rest of the season is based around his trial.
    Im not giving away any spoilers in the above as its pretty much the synopsis you will get on Netflix.

Both highly recommened.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Watched the impostor on the advice here. Very good.

Made me very angry though
    they really gave you the impression the family might have done it just for a cheap twist. There was absolutely zero evidence bar the accusations of a career liar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

noodler wrote: »
    Watched the impostor on the advice here. Very good.

Made me very angry though
    they really gave you the impression the family might have done it just for a cheap twist. There was absolutely zero evidence bar the accusations of a career liar

Re: your spoiler, yeah, thats America though, pretty horrible alright,
    so easy to make accusations like that without evidence over there, a more media savvy, richer and intelligent family would have refused to take part though probably,
    it was very well made though and interesting if a bit too stylised. The most shocking thing though probably was that the impostor
    has a wife and 3 children!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

The original New Yorker article that it's based on is worth a read. Covers the entire story plus some. Obviously if you haven't seen The Impostor, don't read it....
    http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/08/11/080811fa_fact_grann?currentPage=all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The Raid is now on Netlix UK/Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

The Raid is now on Netlix UK/Ireland

I saw! Way, way down in the catalogue, nearly missed it!
    One of the films of last year!

Yea I had to search to find it earlier. Weird they don't have it under new releases or recently added.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

It was on in the film festival last year. I had a ticket, but it was on at 11am on a Saturday morning. Woke up with a hangover and decided to give it a miss. It won the audience award and the critics award for the best film in the festival.
    Anyway, finally saw it today, on Canadian Netflix! (I didn't know it was on Irish Netflix).

• Advertisement

"Holy Motors" is on Netflix US, looking forward to watching this later.

"Holy Motors" is on Netflix US, looking forward to watching this later.

Nice one. I was looking for that the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Been making my way through Community on Canadian Netflix. Very funny stuff and really coming into its own in the second season.

Got hooked on it, now it's no longer streaming :-(

Got hooked on it, now it's no longer streaming :-(

Still showing up for me, watched an episoe lastnight!

Looking forward to giving Holy motors a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Still showing up for me, watched an episoe lastnight!

Looking forward to giving Holy motors a look.

That is so weird!! Was working for about 3 days, then said it couldnt stream, now won't even come up in the search. I have the worst luck.

That is so weird!! Was working for about 3 days, then said it couldnt stream, now won't even come up in the search. I have the worst luck.

For some reason it's being listed as a new release now I notice, every chance it was taken down briefly and added back in.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I watched a thoroughly decent neo-noir thriller today, 13 Tzameti. It's a black and white French film about a young builder who connives his way into a very well-paid criminal enterprise he doesn't understand, which turns out to be much more dangerous and harrowing than he anticipated. Well worth a watch if you like tense thrillers.

Fysh wrote: »
    I watched a thoroughly decent neo-noir thriller today, 13 Tzameti. It's a black and white French film about a young builder who connives his way into a very well-paid criminal enterprise he doesn't understand, which turns out to be much more dangerous and harrowing than he anticipated. Well worth a watch if you like tense thrillers.

Géla Babluani remade the film with Jason Statham, Michael Shannon, Mickey Rourke, Ben Gazzara and the thespian that is 50 Cent a few years back. It's actually not half bad, though if you've seen the original there's no real reason to go out of your way to watch the remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

So I had a look at Headhunters last night, throughly enjoyable.

Finds like the above make Netflix such great value for money IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Carrollman

Agreed.. Headhunters was very enjoyable. Also i know it's been mentioned here recently but watched the Raid last.. Holy s#@t what a movie.. That halfway scene was just sick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Is that Jo Nesbo's Headhunters?

The Last Picture Show on Netflix Canada.
    A brilliant coming of age film. Beautifully shot in black and white. Great soundtrack too.

The Last Picture Show on Netflix Canada.
    A brilliant coming of age film. Beautifully shot in black and white. Great soundtrack too.

Plus Cybill Shepherd was an absolute vision in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I know it's not a movie but check out Spiral (French TV series). Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I know it's not a movie but check out Spiral (French TV series). Brilliant.

On my to watch list.

It's on both the Irish and US site.

Watched a brilliantly made documentary on Netflix US called "Detropia" about the shocking state of decline that Detroit (once the thriving home of Motown and the US industrial base) has falling into, something like 100,000 houses are empty after people abandoned them and they reckon about 40% of the place is empty, mostly due to the car makers it relied on for jobs pissing off to Mexico. Some of the footage reminded me of Mad Max, honest to fcuk, gangs in wrecked cars and vans tearing down abandoned houses and removing any scrap metal for instance. Lots of great local characters in it, its really well shot and structured and very scary! 10/10.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The extremely divisive The Comedy has surfaced on Netflix US. Apparently wrapped in layers and layers of irony, its the story of an ageing hipster playing cruel tricks on his friends. Some critics have called it insufferable, others brilliant: either way, it's meant to be a tough watch!

Of course when something polarises opinion so radically it has to be worth a watch. Can't wait :p

The extremely divisive The Comedy has surfaced on Netflix US. Apparently wrapped in layers and layers of irony, its the story of an ageing hipster playing cruel tricks on his friends. Some critics have called it insufferable, others brilliant: either way, it's meant to be a tough watch!

Of course when something polarises opinion so radically it has to be worth a watch. Can't wait :p

The reviewer in the San Francisco Chronicle gave it the lowest score I have ever seen given to a film by a professional reviewer in my whole life, literarily a "0", unless someone is handing out minuses a film has probably has never been rated so badly, I think I'll give it a miss.

Happy People: A Year In The Taiga. on Netflix Canada. A fascinating glimpse at a community in the middle of nowhere in Siberia. Werner Herzog co-directs, which is a recommendation in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Finally watched The Raid on this. It's incredibly good. Can't wait to see the sequel on the big screen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement