Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Holy Motors posts moved to Holy Motors thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056742463#

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

For anyone who hasn't seen it, "Misery" is on the Irish Netflix.

James Caan stars as a famous writer who is rescued from a car wreckage by his "number 1 fan".
    This fan turns out to be a sadistic woman who intends on keeping him prisoner in her home.

I was surpised by how much I enjoyed this film as the girlfriend had been nagging me for sometime to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

"Prometheus" is on Netflix Canada now, surprised they got it so quick, Netflix rocks in so many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

30 Rock on US Netflix. I've seen loads of random episodes on whatever channels it's on, but it's nice to watch it from the start, even though it's not entirely necessary. 123 episodes on there. When I'm not in the humour for a film, this'll do the trick. Nice one.

"Prometheus" is on Netflix Canada now, surprised they got it so quick, Netflix rocks in so many ways.

Not as impressive on a second viewing, but still a damn enjoyable movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Parks and Recreation on US Netflix. First four seasons are there. After a relatively poor first season it really came into its own and is now one of my favourite ever comedies.

That and Ron F**king Swanson is the greatest character on TV. Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Separate threads for film & TV
    Roar wrote: »
    Parks and Recreation on US Netflix. First four seasons are there. After a relatively poor first season it really came into its own and is now one of my favourite ever comedies.

That and Ron F**king Swanson is the greatest character on TV. Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Yeah Ive been making my way through these. Am on season 4 at the moment and trying to ration it. Love the characters in it. Ron is a legend.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

For anyone who likes documentaries "How to Survive a Plague" is on Netflix now, not sure if US or UK. I think it was up for an Oscar this year. It's about the AIDS epidemic in the 80's the the gay rights group that fought to find a treatment or cure.

"Seven Psychopaths" is on Netflix Brazil/Mexico might give it a butchers later.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

Roar wrote: »

That and Ron F**king Swanson is the greatest character on TV.

Birthdays were invented by Hallmark to sell cards ~ Ron Swanson

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I'm sure it's already been mentioned but the TED talks are wonderful. I especially enjoyed the Lennart Green one with the close up magic.

Some nice new updates on US one, load of Bonds plus Man In The Moon, Huston's "The Dead" and 2 other Irish related titles, "The Citadel" and awful Irish cop drama "Jack Taylor".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

The first 4 seasons of Fringe up on US Netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

I just put May 26th into my diary. That's the date when Season 4's fifteen episodes of Arrested Development are put up on Netflix US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Limited appeal but there are loads of "classics" on US netflix. Personally love the Rockford Files from the 70s, there's also Magnum PI, the original Hawaii 5-0 as well as Knight Rider, Airwolf and hundreds of Murder, She wrote in case you have missed a classic episode the dozen or so times RTE have shown them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the US netflix did a big update of animated stuff, Robot Chicken, Johnny Bravo, The Boondocks, Adventure Time (hilarious, wasted on kids) Samurai Jack and The Venture Bros.

really hope they put stuff like Animaniacs and Pinky & The Brain on it :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Samurai Jack?!?! Woohoo!!

There's not many episodes but it's nice to see decent animated shows on it. the 2002 remake of Masters of the Universe is on there too which is really good. I hope Tron Uprising gets put on there at some point since they have a deal with Disney now.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

THe hilarious(imo) Cabin in the Woods has been added to Irish Netflix, looking forward to giving it another watch.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    THe hilarious(imo) Cabin in the Woods has been added to Irish Netflix, looking forward to giving it another watch.

Fun movie that, did it do well? I can't remember if it was a flop or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

krudler wrote: »
    and The Venture Bros.

Delighted. Just in time to reacquaint myself with that show before the new season starts in May. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

the US netflix did a big update of animated stuff, Robot Chicken, Johnny Bravo, The Boondocks, Adventure Time (hilarious, wasted on kids) Samurai Jack and The Venture Bros.

really hope they put stuff like Animaniacs and Pinky & The Brain on it :D
    Samurai Jack was ace! And The Venture Brothers, aw yeah! Someone put up a funny clip from it on Facebook about 2 years ago, and I tried to track it down, but I could only find it on Hulu, which you couldn't view outside the US. (I was naive back then). It's a cartoon, two of the characters are David Bowie ("The Sovereign") and Iggy Pop. It looks like it's deranged good fun. Finally going to get around to watching it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

Fun movie that, did it do well? I can't remember if it was a flop or not

The Cabin in the Woods earned $42,073,277 in North America, along with $23,829,690 in other territories, for a worldwide total of $65,902,967.

They say double the budget for a movie to break even. The budget was (a reported) £30 mil. So it just about broke even.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Any documentary recommendations*?

I recently watched The Imposter, Senna and Bowling for Columbine. It's nice to take a break from fictitious cinema.

*Netflix US

WatchWolf wrote: »

I recently watched The Imposter, Senna and Bowling for Columbine. It's nice to take a break from fictitious cinema.

*Netflix US
    "My Brothers Keeper", "Detropia" and "Echotone" were 3 excellent ones I watched on it recently, initially quite grim but also excellent was "Last Days Here", I'd also recommend "American Movie" on the Irish version, one of the best docus I ever seen about the love of filmmaking (and bonkers to boot).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

*Netflix US

There's a lot of really poor docs on Netflix and a a lot of good ones. I would recommend,

The Thin Blue Line
    Jiro Dreams of Sushi
    Any doc made by Alex Gibney
    Indie Game: The Movie
    No End in Sight
    Hoop Dreams
    We Were Here
    Restrepo
    Touching the Void
    I like killing flies

*Netflix US

Jiro Dreams Of Sushi is excellent. and Side By Side, great doc about the transition from celluloid film to digital and what it means to cinema as a whole as creative and business aspects. Keanu Reeves presents it and has interviews with directors like Cameron, Lucas, Scorsese, Nolan, Fincher etc etc, well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

*Netflix US

Recently watched The king of kong. It's bloody great and very funny

Plenty of Herzog documentaries on there too. Grizzly Man, Happy People: A Year in the Taiga, Encounters at the End of the World, Into the Abyss and Cave of Forgotten Dreams are all there.

Watched Dogtown and Z-Boys on the canadian site recently too, very good docu about skateboarding.

• Advertisement

Along with all the cartoon network stuff Batman Beyond and both Justice League animated series are there too!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement