Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Yup, I'd recommend any of Herzog's documentaries, they're all great.
    King Of Kong, as mentioned above. Two more, off the top of my head:
    Marwencol - "On April 8, 2000, Mark Hogancamp was attacked outside of a bar by five men who beat him nearly to death. After nine days in a coma and forty days in the hospital, Mark was discharged with brain damage that left him little memory of his previous life.
    Unable to afford therapy, Mark creates his own by building a 1/6-scale World War II-era Belgian town in his yard and populating it with dolls representing himself, his friends, and even his attackers. He calls that town "Marwencol," "

Bill Cunningham New York (Netflix Canada)- Documentary about the 80 year old New York Times street and fashion photographer. A charming portrait of a delightful man.

And how could I forget? Anvil! The Story Of Anvil. (Netflix US and Canada)Documentary about a Canadian heavy metal band still making a go of it after 25 years or so. Utterly brilliant. Elements of real life Spinal Tap, but an uplifting film with characters you will warm to. Thoroughly recommended. I saw this in the film festival a few years ago. The guys from the band held a Q and A afterwards, and then... played a gig right there in the cinema, it was awesome!

I plan on watching American Movie a documentary about a film maker attempting to make a movie with no budget. I've heard it's supposed to be brilliant.

Edit. I just checked up, because I suddenly remembered, Anvil! won the audience award for best film at the 2009 Dublin Film Festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭SteM

Some of the ESPN 30 for 30 documentaries are very good too if you like uS sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Yup, I'd recommend any of Herzog's documentaries, they're all great.
    King Of Kong, as mentioned above. Two more, off the top of my head:
    Marwencol - "On April 8, 2000, Mark Hogancamp was attacked outside of a bar by five men who beat him nearly to death. After nine days in a coma and forty days in the hospital, Mark was discharged with brain damage that left him little memory of his previous life.
    Unable to afford therapy, Mark creates his own by building a 1/6-scale World War II-era Belgian town in his yard and populating it with dolls representing himself, his friends, and even his attackers. He calls that town "Marwencol," "

Bill Cunningham New York (Netflix Canada)- Documentary about the 80 year old New York Times street and fashion photographer. A charming portrait of a delightful man.

Forgot to mention it above but that Cunningham docu is fantastic, one of the best on Netflix alright.

Separate threads for film & TV
    SteM wrote: »
    Some of the ESPN 30 for 30 documentaries are very good too if you like uS sports.

They're good even if you have no interest in sports of any kind. I'd sooner rub salt in my eyes than watch any sport but have found the 30 for 30 and other sporting docs mesmerizing. A good doc will transcend the limitations of it's subject and appeal to all audiences. now that said a lot of the 30 for 30 are very poor, Billy Corbin's is dull as a doc can be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭SteM

Billy Corben's one is 'The U'. I watched that one last weekend and enjoyed it. A real eye opener into college football which I knew nothing about. Loved the idea of a coach recruiting from the poorer areas of the town and building loyalty team that way.

Straight Outta L.A. is another good one imo. About the LA Raiders.

Billy Corben's one is 'The U'. I watched that one last weekend and enjoyed it. A real eye opener into college football which I knew nothing about. Loved the idea of a coach recruiting from the poorer areas of the town and building loyalty team that way.

Corbin made two for the series, the first was called Broke and was the one I was talking about. It's a really interesting topic and has some good contributors but sadly it feels like an hour of talking heads not saying a whole lot. Haven't had a chance to watch The U, but had to do an update and about 30 seconds into The U it went off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Just after watching The Raid, and have to echo the general consensus that it's a damn good film, what I really like is that you could actually see what was going on during the action sequences unlike a lot of the blurry cam shakiness you get with most modern Hollywood action films.

Also watched Garage recently and was pleasantly surprised. I had heard good things but I absolutely hate Pat Shortt but this was a good watch. It's pretty depressing stuff and I imagine it gives a pretty good indication of what it's like to live in a little village in rural Ireland.

I've seen a few recommendations for American Movie but I have to say that imo I found it incredibly boring and was left thinking I'd just wasted 90mins of my life at the end of it. It pretty much went nowhere and went off on tangents that were pointless and I understand that while that may have been the point (a documentary about a terrible filmmaker who had no focus), I don't think it made for a very interesting or entertaining watch. Just my 2c of course!

I saw a great documentary in this series a couple of months ago, "The Two Escobars", a doc about Pablo Escobar, the Colombian drug lord, and Andrés Escobar, the footballer. A fascinating look at how the rise and fall of the national team were seemingly inextricably linked to the rise and fall of the Medellin drug cartel, with ultimately tragic results for Andrés.
    Not on Netflix, as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Death Proof

As a fan of Tarantino's work, this was a very enjoyable watch.
    It takes a while to get going, but when it does, it stops and starts again.

Great film making in my view and a great homage to the classic that is "Vanishing Point".

Certainly worth a watch if you haven't already seen it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Blue Velvet (Netflix Canada): First watched this a couple of years back but the sheer quality of it was entirely lost on me. Since then, I've gone through a relatively large catalogue of film noirs and neo noirs so I actually appreciated it this time round. Dennis Hopper is a fantastic villain and does that really happen in suburban underbellies? :eek:

Another Netflix documentary recommendation. Man On Wire. I saw this a few years ago, but I remember it as a thrillingly good film. High wire walker Philippe Petit pulls off an audacious stunt to walk on a wire suspended between the two twin towers in New York. The whole thing was completely illegal, it's almost like a heist movie the way they carried out the plan. Recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

I watched Blue Valentine on U.S. Netflix tonight. I thought it was very good, Gosling and Williams are both great, powerful stuff. Just don't go in expecting a rom-com :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Just watched Garage. What a wonderful movie.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The incredibly good anime series Samurai Champloo has been added to Canadian Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Watched "Girls Gone Dead"

Its possibly the worst 20 mins I have ever sat through. Acting is dreadful, its really really cheap. There's not even that much tits in its. very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I watched Man on Wire after seeing it recommended here. Also Compliance (both on US netflix). Man on Wire was fascinating; you'd think it would be impossible to organise such a thing, especially with such a mixed group, that was as amazing as the actual wire walk itself. I have mixed feelings about Compliance; I found it a bit disturbing. It's based on true events where prank phone calls were made to work places (a fast food restaurant in the film) from someone pretending to be a police officer. It's about how people will obey an authority figure even when told to do something they feel is wrong.

Netflix are now streaming in 3D. Back home atm and tried it out last night. Image quality is fantastic but it takes a hell of a lot more bandwith that normal Super HD streaming. Watching Immortals it stopped every 15 or 20 minutes to load.

Netflix are now streaming in 3D. Back home atm and tried it out last night. Image quality is fantastic but it takes a hell of a lot more bandwith that normal Super HD streaming. Watching Immortals it stopped every 15 or 20 minutes to load.

Is this just on the American catalogue? I havn't seen any change myself, still just SuperHD. Can you stream 3D on any device or just certain ones? I have a 3D monitor hooked up to my PC and would love to try it out.

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Is this just on the American catalogue? I havn't seen any change myself, still just SuperHD. Can you stream 3D on any device or just certain ones? I have a 3D monitor hooked up to my PC and would love to try it out.

You can only get 3D if viewing from the American catalogue. Think Canada may also support it but I've yet to check. I think that it's only on the PS3, there's a smart TV here at home but none of the 3D content is showing up on it. It's quite a limited selection on there and only 4 or 5 are worth a look.

• Advertisement

You can only get 3D if viewing from the American catalogue. Think Canada may also support it but I've yet to check. I think that it's only on the PS3, there's a smart TV here at home but none of the 3D content is showing up on it. It's quite a limited selection on there and only 4 or 5 are worth a look.

I'm seeing it now alright on PS3, on Immortals as you mentioned and also was on Art of Flight, didn't look that much more into it though. I'm assuming that because netflix on PC doesn't support SuperHD (or 1080p for that matter) that we'll never see 3D supported on PC, which is a bit lame considering I have the hardware to run it. AFAIK, you can get SuperHD on the netflix app on windows 8 so presumably you could also get 3D but I've no intention of installing Win8 just for that. Might move up the PS3 just to test it out and see how well it runs but that'll be about it.

Edit: Apparently just PS3 and certain LG TV's: https://support.netflix.com/en/node/8739

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I just tried the 3d on my lg tv through the ps3 and it works fine not much to choose from but will get better in time

I just tried the 3d on my lg tv through the ps3 and it works fine not much to choose from but will get better in time

The atrocious search means that a lot of 3D content doesn't show up. The Herzog doc, Cave of Forgotten Dreams is worth a watch though most of the 3D is post converted and looked rather dull in the cinema. Personally I find most 3D pointless, it's great for gaming and really adds to the immersive experience but most 3D films just use it to throw things at the audience rather than create a sense of depth to the image or do anything interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

I recently watched the six-part BBC documentary series 'Auschwitz: The Nazis and the Final Solution'.

It is both very sobering and very enlightening viewing. The interviews with ex-SS soldiers and concentration camp prisoners are unforgettable, and it's interesting to hear about their experiences during the war, as well as how they fared afterwards.

Dibble wrote: »
    I recently watched the six-part BBC documentary series 'Auschwitz: The Nazis and the Final Solution'.

It is both very sobering and very enlightening viewing. The interviews with ex-SS soldiers and concentration camp prisoners are unforgettable, and it's interesting to hear about their experiences during the war, as well as how they fared afterwards.

It was really good, the interview with the Nazi who had executed people. His reasoning, what the jews did to his familys farm before the war was in his mind when shooting them and how he felt justified :eek:

I never knew they took Germans civilians around the camp when the war was over to show them what was going on.

Dibble wrote: »

I visited Auschwitz a couple of years ago with my Polish girlfriend at the time. Her dad drove us there. Her family is from the area, and her dad lost aunts and uncles there, so it was even more poignant. Absolutely horrific what went on there, and at the nearby Aushwitz-Birkenau, which was basically a purpose built death factory. A profoundly moving experience.
    One of the things I thought while I was there was that we Irish had some awful suffering in our history, 800 years and all that, but jesus, we never had anything like Auschwitz.
    Sorry, it's off topic, but Auschwitz....
    Its proper Polish name is Oświęcim.

Anyway. Gonna watch an episode of 30 Rock on Netflix US. That show is great. Netflix recommendation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Earlier today I watched "Into The Wind", a documentary about Terry Fox, the Canadian 21-year-old who attempted to run across his country to raise funds for cancer - despite having lost a leg to the disease. Incredibly moving and inspirational.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Earlier today I watched "Into The Wind", a documentary about Terry Fox, the Canadian 21-year-old who attempted to run across his country to raise funds for cancer - despite having lost a leg to the disease. Incredibly moving and inspirational.

Think I shed a tear watching that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

finally got round to watching ' a single man ' with a great performance by Colin Firth as a college professor mourning the death of his partner of 16 years.
    very highly recommended

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement