Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Watched Into the Wild there on Irish netflix the other day, really good film, true story about a young recent graduate who leaves behind all the people and comforts of his life to trek it to Alaska and "become one with nature" so to speak. Written and directed by Sean Penn and also has a brilliant soundtrack by Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Max Manus, Man of War

Saw this on the Irish Netflix.
    A entertaining World war 2 thriller about a group of Norwegian freedom fighters.
    It has some very good sequences and very interesting characters, particularly the lead character himself, Max Manus, who is a household name in Norway for the bravery and courage he showed during the war.
    Well worth the 2 hour run time.

Dibble wrote: »
    I recently watched the six-part BBC documentary series 'Auschwitz: The Nazis and the Final Solution'.

once i watched it, Netflix said ... Because you watched this we recommend Peepshow :eek:

Separate threads for film & TV
    once i watched it, Netflix said ... Because you watched this we recommend Peepshow :eek:

They assume that you may enjoy a good laugh after 6 or so hours of misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Ha! Peep Show is brilliant though. One of my favourite comedy shows of recent years. I love the way it's filmed in a Point Of View style. A show that I can genuinely say makes me Laugh Out Loud.

Edit. I was gonna watch an episode from Season 8 of Peep Show after being reminded of it, but Season 8 is not on Netflix. It is however on Channel 4's 4od site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

anyone watching Hemlock Grove on friday? could do with some new horror stuff since American Horror Story ended

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

krudler wrote: »
    anyone watching Hemlock Grove on friday? could do with some new horror stuff since American Horror Story ended

No, not a fan of it and too much horror/fantasy shiite on there, personally I'd love to see then do another adult show like "House Of Cards" or a decent, serious Sci Fi one in the "Battlestar Galactica" vein, that touted one by the Wachowski Brothers/Sisters doesn't sound the Mae West.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Very curious about Hemlock Grove, but will wait for some feedback from boardsies before sinking any time into it methinks - just have too many other series "on the go" at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Watched Sonatine last night on the US Netflix. Possibly the greatest yakuza film, cracking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yeah will defo give it a go although too many good looking young people in the clips are making me slightly wary.

Loved American Horror story. It was absolutely bonkers.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Yeah will defo give it a go although too many good looking young people in the clips are making me slightly wary.

Loved American Horror story. It was absolutely bonkers.

It really was, totally ran out of steam at the end of season 2 though, which started off absolutely brilliantly, season 3 is out in october, no idea where its going to be set though, there was talk of it during the Salem witch trials which would be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

S1 of "Continuum" is in US Flix now, haven't seen any of it yet but it got good reviews as a smart sci fi show with real "hard tech" in it masquerading as an action show to get the viewers in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

It really was, totally ran out of steam at the end of season 2 though, which started off absolutely brilliantly, season 3 is out in october, no idea where its going to be set though, there was talk of it during the Salem witch trials which would be brilliant.

yeah, some of those storylines got wrapped up too conveniently. Some great performances from Lange, Quinto and Cromwell. Much better than s1 so hopefully s3 keeps up.

sweetie wrote: »
    yeah, some of those storylines got wrapped up too conveniently. Some great performances from Lange, Quinto and Cromwell. Much better than s1 so hopefully s3 keeps up.

Jessica Lange is phenomenal in both seasons, she's signed on for the next one too thankfully. Hated her guts in season 2 but you do feel bad for her by the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Netflix's latest original series Hemlock Grove has debuted worldwide today with all 13 episodes available to stream. Haven't watched it myself but initial reports are that it isn't very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Netflix's latest original series Hemlock Grove has debuted worldwide today with all 13 episodes available to stream. Haven't watched it myself but initial reports are that it isn't very good.

Expected as much from Eli Roth tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

grimm2005 wrote: »

I`ll be giving it a go myself anyway to see what its like.

Paranorman is on the US one now, fun movie, much prefered it to Frankenweenie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

S1 of "Continuum" is in US Flix now, haven't seen any of it yet but it got good reviews as a smart sci fi show with real "hard tech" in it masquerading as an action show to get the viewers in.
    Hmmm, been hearing good reports about this from some of my mates that are watching it on cable, something I ditched years ago. Must check this out!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

sprinkles wrote: »
    Hmmm, been hearing good reports about this from some of my mates that are watching it on cable, something I ditched years ago. Must check this out!

Its very good so far ((ep 4)even got my wife to watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

osheen wrote: »
    Its very good so far ((ep 4)even got my wife to watch it.

always a bonus - quality time!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭celticwe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrannosaur_(film)

On the US netflix

Just brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Dutchy

Not sure if it's new to US Netflix but tonight I'll be mainly watching El Infierno.

"This extremely violent, darkly comic film centers on Benny, an ordinary man thrust into the vices and violence of the Mexican drug trade. While he enjoys his new lifestyle, Benny soon begins to question what he has become"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1692190/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Dutchy wrote: »
    Not sure if it's new to US Netflix but tonight I'll be mainly watching El Infierno.

"This extremely violent, darkly comic film centers on Benny, an ordinary man thrust into the vices and violence of the Mexican drug trade. While he enjoys his new lifestyle, Benny soon begins to question what he has become"

Was added a few weeks back. Been meaning to watch it for awhile and nearly missed it, the new title and the atrocious poster had me skipping past it as it looked like a low budget comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Dutchy wrote: »

Cool. It was on Netflix Mexico only a couple of weeks ago. Looks like a so trashy, but maybe good, I might check this out, kinda film.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Watched Four Lions on US Netflix. A good film with a decent sprinkling of humour, but the subject matter is eerily close to the bone with the recent events in Boston.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Watched Four Lions on US Netflix. A good film with a decent sprinkling of humour, but the subject matter is eerily close to the bone with the recent events in Boston.

Great film. I wouldn't call it just a sprinkling of humour, I was constantly laughing out loud all the way through it until
    the ending which was pretty poignant imo
    . The comparison with what happened in Boston is pretty hard to avoid now in hindsight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Dutchy

Watched a brilliant doc. on US Netflix called Last Days Here. Unreal story about a band that were close to becoming massive in the 70's/80's but never made it due to the lead singers ego and drug addiction. This film follows the lead singer and his bid to get his life, and his band, back on track. A few twists and turns throughout that will both shock and surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Watched the 2007 South Korean film "Hansel and Gretel" a good adult fantasy horror film ..in a Pan's Labyrinth mode.

***It is only available for the next 2 days ..as it will be removed April 26th

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10010682-hansel_and_gretel/

Also recommend the Japanese Action/Fantasy Epic film "Goemon" a very visual stylish work by an ex Anime Director. Great fun.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/goemon/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Watched recently on US Netflix:

Following - Chris Nolan's intriguing debut, you can really see the groundwork for his later movies.

Fallen Angels - One of the best portrayals of a city at night I've ever seen. Classic Wong Kar Wai film and it works like a darker, stranger Chungking Express. Cool, vivid and completely unique.

Man With a Movie Camera - Really innovative 1929 silent film, so visually dazzling and incredible score too.

Children of Heaven - A very sweet Iranian family film about a kid who loses his sister's only pair of shoes. The kind of gentle and good natured film that Hollywood should make more for kids.

Hachi: A Dog's Tale - Incredibly sentimental but in all the right ways, I held back tears at the end.

Also watching Louie at the moment, very good show. Needlessly to show those who like Louis CK's stand up work should check it out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement