Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,886 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Separate threads for film & TV
    It would be brilliant if they did the same thing with the walking dead as they did with breaking bad where the new episode is available directly after it airs.
    The problem is no station had UK rights to the latest season of Breaking Bad (or the season before that AFAIK)..

.. whereas Fox has rights to The Walking Dead and plans to air it 5 days after the US, so I'd say a Netflix "simu-airing" is a no-go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Basq wrote: »
    The problem is no station had UK rights to the latest season of Breaking Bad (or the season before that AFAIK)..

.. whereas Fox has rights to The Walking Dead and plans to air it 5 days after the US, so I'd say a Netflix "simu-airing" is a no-go.

Didn't tg4 show half of the final series?, they are showing the rest in a few months i think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Didn't tg4 show half of the final series?, they are showing the rest in a few months i think
    Netflix probably nabbed the rights before TG4, plus the licencing deals are different for traditional TV and Online.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Grabbers is up on the Irish site, looking forward o giving it a watch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Mickeroo wrote: »

heard good things about this, will watch over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,886 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Go in with low enough expectations and you'll enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I enjoyed that, I'm a complete sucker for "small town invaded by something" B movies, and it's unashamedly a B movie with some funny one liners and suprisingly good CGI for a low enough budget horror-comedy. There's one line in it that made the entire audience burst out laughing towards the end, you'll know it when you hear it :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 BreakingBoard

The Hunt (Jagten) - Ending

First of all, it is a great film. Gripped me from start to finish, it was very tense at times and I was really rooting for the protaginist from start to finish in hope that justice would be done. It even frustrated me at times. As mentioned by others in this thread, this Danish film follows the protaginist (Lucas) who is played quite excellently by Mads Mikkelsen. He lives a lonely life, all the while struggling over his son's custody. His life slowly gets better and he finds loves and receives good news from his son, but his luck is brutally shattered by an innocent little lie told by one of the children at the nursey in which he works.

Immediately after watching this I felt the need to discuss the ending with the few who have watched it. What do ye think? I read an article on the ending which gives a few theories but I'm undecided myself.
    If his name was cleared, then why was he shot at in the forest? Some of the ideas put forward were that this person may even be the same culprit who killed Fanny. Is it Klara’s older brother, who has demonstrated protectiveness over her? Or Klara's Father? Perhaps a disgruntled retail assistant from the grocery store? Maybe a figment of Lucas’s anxious imagination from knowing life can easily cast him from the status of a hunter, to that of the hunted?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If his name was cleared, then why was he shot at in the forest? Some of the ideas put forward were that this person may even be the same culprit who killed Fanny. Is it Klara’s older brother, who has demonstrated protectiveness over her? Or Klara's Father? Perhaps a disgruntled retail assistant from the grocery store? Maybe a figment of Lucas’s anxious imagination from knowing life can easily cast him from the status of a hunter, to that of the hunted?
    This topic has come up a few times, and I think 'whodunnit?' is in no way the important thing about the ending. If it was vitally important that we know who the shooter was, then I'd imagine Vinterberg would have told us who it was. Instead, the point of emphasis is simply that he was shot at. Who it was is irrelevant, as it's a deeper thematic, narrative point being made here. His name has not been wholly cleared - just that one person retaining the suspicion is proof that everything has not been wrapped up in a nice little package. The lie, we're led to briefly believe, has been resolved. But no: it's not as easy as that, and Lucas' name will never be fully cleared. The lie has irreversibly changed his life, and the memories will always define his uneasy place in the community.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

krudler wrote: »
    I enjoyed that, I'm a complete sucker for "small town invaded by something" B movies, and it's unashamedly a B movie with some funny one liners and suprisingly good CGI for a low enough budget horror-comedy. There's one line in it that made the entire audience burst out laughing towards the end, you'll know it when you hear it :pac:

Gave this a watch last night, thought it was great fun.
    Sláinte
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Seven Psychopaths added to Irish Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

watched the first series of Derek on the US one, was a lot more poignant than I was expecting it to be, Gervais can be very hit and miss but I thought this had some really nice scenes. Funny without poking fun and some absolutely heart wrenching moments. The final episode is one of the best things I've seen in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Not much going on here recently.

Watched "Celeste and Jesse Forever" yesterday (UK Netflix). Standard rom com fare but quite well written. Stars the lovely Rashida Jones who people may recognise from the US Office.

Worth a look if your other half won't let you watch something with explosions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Mezcita wrote: »
    Not much going on here recently.

Watched "Celeste and Jesse Forever" yesterday (UK Netflix). Standard rom com fare but quite well written. Stars the lovely Rashida Jones who people may recognise from the US Office.

Worth a look if your other half won't let you watch something with explosions.

Watched it myself the other night, thought it was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

"NO", with Gael García Bernal about the '88 referendum on Pinochet is on Canadian flix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Any good german movies on it ? I watched the wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

EoghanIRL wrote: »

Quite a lot, "A Woman In Berlin", "Downfall", "The Baader Meinhof Complex", "Run Lola Run"

Quite a lot, "A Woman In Berlin", "Downfall", "The Baader Meinhof Complex", "Run Lola Run"

The Lives of Others too I think, or it was anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

^^ thanks guys I'll check them out .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotloss Mind

An excellent film that for some reason totally passed me by. Jim Carey masters his role fantastically.

Well worth the watch if you haven't already seen it.

• Advertisement

Based on a true story, a quadriplegic aristocrat's world is turned upside down when he hires a young, good-humored ex-con as his caretaker. This unlikely duo overcomes adversity of every flavor as they shatter preconceptions of love, life and each other.

The Intouchables

Very funny, best intelligent comedy I have watched in ages. Its in french with english subtitles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Based on a true story, a quadriplegic aristocrat's world is turned upside down when he hires a young, good-humored ex-con as his caretaker. This unlikely duo overcomes adversity of every flavor as they shatter preconceptions of love, life and each other.

The Intouchables

Very funny, best intelligent comedy I have watched in ages. Its in french with english subtitles

Didn't think this movie's theme was my kind of thing, but my wife and kids were watching it there recently and I couldn't help getting drawn into it. Very entertaining movie, great characters in it. The kids were engrossed as well, and they were barely able to keep track of the subtitles, so that has got to be a testament to the quality of the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Where do you folk find these movies.???

The search is a load of bollox.

Everyone keeps saying there is so much more than on the main screen.

When i go to search, say just type A i get a list of 10 movies , no more...

Why can't they just add an A-Z list on the app or site?

How can i use a search if i don't know what to search for.

Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!

its very frustrating alright. I pick a genre I am interested in then I browse and if something I'm interested in I check out the viewers ratings in the "more" link in the narrative of the film. I've had more success this way, More so than googling "the best films to watch on netflix"

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Intouchables is only on the US one I think also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

We recently signed up to Netflix & have watched every episode of Archer....

Does anyone know when / if season 4 will be available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

We recently signed up to Netflix & have watched every episode of Archer....

Does anyone know when / if season 4 will be available?
    season 4 is on the uk one now as far as i know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

There's one called Hell. It's a bit like the Road. Post apocalyptic effort. Low budget, but not the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

couple of horrors, We are the night and Dead Snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!

This is a good site for searching for what's on Netflix.

http://www.moreflicks.com/

If it's on there, click on the Netflix icon and it will show you what region it's available on. For example, someone was asking about good German movies, The White Ribbon is on Netflix Canada.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement