Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,525 ✭✭✭brevity

Separate threads for film & TV
    Mezcita wrote: »
    The Bridge is excellent. Well worth a watch if you are after a new series.

Just going through it now, it really is gripping. Did anyone find the subtitles a bit off though? Like some bits are missing?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Before Midnight is on the Brazilian & Mexican sites and so is The Place Beyond the Pines and The Master.

Can't turn off the subtitles though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Before Midnight is on the Brazilian & Mexican sites and so is The Place Beyond the Pines and The Master.

Can't turn off the subtitles though. :(

The other two aren't on Sweden/Denmark Flix but "The Master" is and you can turn off the subs.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The other two aren't on Sweden/Denmark Flix but "The Master" is and you can turn off the subs.

Excellent. Good to know.

Watched Place Beyond the Pines regardless, thought it was great. I can see how the structure and contrived nature of the later parts put some people off but overall I found it to be a very engrossing and powerful film. Can't be faulted for it's ambition anyway.

Michael Heneke's original Funny Games is on the Irish site now. There's also a documentary called Michael H. Profession: Director up there too that got very good reviews.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Watched A Bronx Tale on the Irish site yesterday, had never seen it before. It's quite good, but it's far better in the beginning with the little kid, kind of nosedives with the older actor, who can't really act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Working my way through Fringe, a bit late to the show, but if you enjoyed The X-Files back in the day, or Warehouse 13 (which is also on Netflix, and seriously needs another season!!) then this is right up your street. Although, i'd imagine it wouldn't be half as good is it wasn't for John Nobles fantastic performance as Dr. Walter Bishop. Only started Season 2 and it's really getting into it now!

It really gets going mid-season 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Blue Valentine

I think this has been up on the US flix for quite sometime, but I only got around to watching it last night.
    A fantastic story from beginning to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Blue Valentine

I think this has been up on the US flix for quite sometime, but I only got around to watching it last night.
    A fantastic story from beginning to end.

Hah, wikipedia was unusually personal with its description of this film
    wikipedia wrote:
    Blue Valentine is a 2010 American depressing romantic drama film

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

"The Iceman" with the excellent Michael Shannon is on US Flix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Robot & Frank on Netflix US, defo going to give it a look.
    Great movie! I have to give it a look again!

Wow, what a lovely film. Thanks for the recommendations.

• Advertisement

Wow, what a lovely film. Thanks for the recommendations.

Yep, watched it Sunday night myself thought it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

Love/hate s1-3 on us netflix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Big Night is on US Netflix. Not going to change your life or anything but it's a nice meandering, gently humorous film. Stanley Tucci and Tony Shaloub play off each other very well. Saw it when it was released but haven't seen it since, so hope my memory is correct.

Spring Breakers is on the Canadian site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

You might have just talked me out of watching Zodiac.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

The Iceman is a great film,also recommend Wild Bill although its quite similar to Top Boy

Arnie's The Last Stand and Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol are up on the Irish site now. M:I is a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to giving The Last Stand a watch.

I also notice Blackthorn is on the Irish site now too, it's an unofficial sequel to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I watched it a while back on the american site and I though it was brilliant. A must watch if you're a fan of the original Butch and Sundance or just westerns in general imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The film critics in nytimes agreed its not the best movie. Although the issues it raises are excellent. I enjoyed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Paris is burning on US netflix. Its a documentary about drag queens and transgender people in NYC from the late 1980s to 1990s. Its shows the issues that the black LGBT people experienced. But also shows the old run down run NYC perfectly. Its so entertaining and the ending is so moving.

It missed out on an Oscar, allegedly due to the casts colour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Robot & Frank on Netflix US, defo going to give it a look.
    Just watched this tonight and loved it. Well worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I also notice Blackthorn is on the Irish site now too, it's an unofficial sequel to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I watched it a while back on the american site and I though it was brilliant. A must watch if you're a fan of the original Butch and Sundance or just westerns in general imo.
    Not a fan of westerns but came across this some weeks ago and yeah I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

The original version of The Bridge and Lilyhammer are worth checking out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Arnie's The Last Stand and Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol are up on the Irish site now. M:I is a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to giving The Last Stand a watch.

Thanks for mentioning this, I missed this at the cinema at the start of the year and was waiting to catch it.

I'm kind of glad I didn't see it at the cinema, though - it's basically Con Air starring Arnie, which means it's not bad as a sort of Friday Night film but it's far from what I'd hoped for given the quality of Kim Jee-Woon's other films. I was hoping this would be infused with the mad daftness of The Good, The Bad The Weird, but what we got was something that could have been made by any director and feels like a wasted opportunity :(

Fysh wrote: »
    Thanks for mentioning this, I missed this at the cinema at the start of the year and was waiting to catch it.

I'm kind of glad I didn't see it at the cinema, though - it's basically Con Air starring Arnie, which means it's not bad as a sort of Friday Night film but it's far from what I'd hoped for given the quality of Kim Jee-Woon's other films. I was hoping this would be infused with the mad daftness of The Good, The Bad The Weird, but what we got was something that could have been made by any director and feels like a wasted opportunity :(

I really enjoyed The Last Stand for what it is, a big stupid action film that's best enjoyed with a few beers and take out. In fact, it's the kind of film that should come with 6 bottles of beer. It could and should have been so much more considering Kim Jee-Won's involvement but at the same time, it's nice to have a film that doesn't take itself the least bit serious and exists simply to entertain. I picked up the Blu-Ray a couple of months ago and enjoyed it just as much the second time around. Won't be something that's considered a classic but for some trashy Friday night fun it's perfect.

Fysh wrote: »

Yeah, I didn't go see it in the cinema either, never got around to it and the luke warm reactions to it on here kind of put me off too. Still looking forward to watching it though.

Will watch it later tonight probably, going to watch Baraka first though! Should be an interesting double bill!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Into the Blue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭McGrath5

We Were Soldiers

I enjoyed this a lot, even though it does get a bit cliche heavy in parts. It paints a very brutal picture of the Vietnam war.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

All four seasons of Farscape's original run are now on Irish Netflix. This is one to look forward to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wereghost wrote: »
    All four seasons of Farscape's original run are now on Irish Netflix. This is one to look forward to.

Excellent news & a must for anyone who likes Sci-Fi. It does take a few episodes to find its groove & early season 1 stories are a bit ropey. Struggle through them and you won't regret it. Equal parts thrilling, touching, genuinely hilarious, has many standout characters, and is arguably one of the more successful attempts to depict genuinely 'alien' characters that aren't just projections of humanity.

All that said, the episode order's all screwed up by the looks of things - many episodes in series 1 & 2 are all wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I really enjoyed The Last Stand for what it is, a big stupid action film that's best enjoyed with a few beers and take out. In fact, it's the kind of film that should come with 6 bottles of beer. It could and should have been so much more considering Kim Jee-Won's involvement but at the same time, it's nice to have a film that doesn't take itself the least bit serious and exists simply to entertain. I picked up the Blu-Ray a couple of months ago and enjoyed it just as much the second time around. Won't be something that's considered a classic but for some trashy Friday night fun it's perfect.

I don't know, I cannot be anywhere near as forgiving of The Last Stand. While the action, when it arrives, is solidly directed and crafted, almost everything surrounding the eponymous stand is inane to an extreme degree. It's an action film that takes forever to get into gear (bar the early escape scene) - which would be fine if the stuff leading up to it was remotely interesting, which it isn't here.

It is simply a lacklustre effort from a director clearly capable of significantly better, and even a moderately successful dumbass action film is a massive disappointment given Jee-Woon's prestige. It's a film I cannot look at with anything other than a glass half empty perspective, especially when Stoker and (allegedly, most reports have been wildly enthusiastic) Snowpiercer show a pair of Korean auteurs going international without surrendering their flair at passport control.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement