Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Separate threads for film & TV
    [...] Snowpiercer show a pair of Korean auteurs going international without surrendering their flair at passport control.

Completely off topic I know, but on this point all the creativity & flair in the world may not save Snowpiercer from Harvey Weinstein's scissors (though it's still unclear whether it's going to be butchered in the editing room) ;):(

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I enjoyed last stand for what it was, not a patch on the director's other work, and definitely not as good as I had hoped but still a step above most run of the mill action films churned out these days. I think if they had ditched a lot of the stuff that takes place away from the town it would have been much better for it, I found the shootout was a lot of fun and most of the characters in the town generally likeable. It's not the Jee-Won film i had hoped for but I still think he managed to elevate the material slightly, either way hopefully it was his ticket to having more creative freedom on his next hollywood project.

Oh and Baraka was fantastic, going to give Samsara a look tonight followed by Spring Breakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Jack Reacher is on the Canadian one. It's not terrible but not very good either.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Stoker and No both up on the Canadian one too.

Watched Spring Breakers this evening, found it entertaining enough and definitely worth a watch but didn't really see what all the fuss was about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭McGrath5

ben101 wrote: »
    The original version of The Bridge and Lilyhammer are worth checking out.

Thanks for that, started watching it 2 nights ago and it is very enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Canadian Netflix is really good, only changed over to it recently and saw a half dozen films I wanted to watch on the first page. The Shield is on it too.

krudler wrote: »
    The Canadian Netflix is really good, only changed over to it recently and saw a half dozen films I wanted to watch on the first page. The Shield is on it too.

It's very good at getting smaller inependent films, even before the US one I find. The likes of The Sessions and Marcy, Martha, May Marlene were all on there well before the US one had them.

Community is on there too, first 2 seasons are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Corvo

Only just got around to watching "Drive" now.

Wow. Fantastic direction, score, acting, the lot. One of the best I have seen in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Its just a low budget promo for a video game but Halo: Forward Unto Dawn is pretty good & worth a look.

I followed it on Machinima before Halo4's launch & liked it.
    It was good to see it in 1 long sequence.

And it reminds us that Peter Jackson, Spielberg or whoever currently owns the rights to get on & deliver a Halo movie franchise.

"NO", with Gael García Bernal about the '88 referendum on Pinochet is on Canadian flix.

Watched this last night, thought it was very good.

Word of warning though, at first I thought Netflix has just screwed it up but the 4:3 aspect ratio is apparently deliberate. Took a few minutes to adjust, but it actually works quite well in giving the film a very authentic 80's feel. The film's sense of time and place over all is very good I have to say.
    Its just a low budget promo for a video game but Halo: Forward Unto Dawn is pretty good & worth a look.

I followed it on Machinima before Halo4's launch & liked it.
    It was good to see it in 1 long sequence.

And it reminds us that Peter Jackson, Spielberg or whoever currently owns the rights to get on & deliver a Halo movie franchise.

Yeah i spotted that on the Irish catalog now alright. I really enjoyed too I have to say. Got pretty giddy when the chief shows up :p I'm not sure how well it would play to people who have no interest in the halo universe/game in general but I still think its better than it has any right to be!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I watched Special last night on US Netflix and was really impressed - where James Gunn's Super is a deliberately tongue-in-cheek look at what happens when someone poorly socially adjusted decides to become a superhero, Special is a much more grounded drama of what happens to a well-intentioned, lonely and ineffectual young man who signs up for an experimental drug trial and believes that he has developed super powers as a result of the drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Was Moneyball not on the Irish Netflix up to recently no? Or am I wrong. I went to watch it on Friday night and couldn't find it but was sure I saw it on it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

American Horror Story: Asylum is now on US Netflix. Highly recommended.

Also watched The Hunt earlier today after recommendations on here. A brilliant little film fantastically played. What is it with little Scandinavian kids in films that they can look so weird?

callaway92 wrote: »
    Was Moneyball not on the Irish Netflix up to recently no? Or am I wrong. I went to watch it on Friday night and couldn't find it but was sure I saw it on it before.

I've only seen it on the canadian one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I've only seen it on the canadian one.

Ok thanks! I wasn't sure alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Shame its a great movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

callaway92 wrote: »

sky i think have this movie

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Dutchy

Probably been posted but 'Searching for Sugar Man' is a fascinating true story if you're in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭romperstomper

similarily, my all time favourite movie is also on canadian flix. 'a prophet' AKA un prophete:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1213205-prophet/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

"Berberian Sound Studio" is on US Flix now, it got mixed reviews but I like Toby Jones and Bradshaw gave it 100 so will defo check it out. Watched "Lovelace" (also on US one) last night, ok but nothing special, 3/5.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The Frighteners is on US netflix. It's one of my favourite films, even though it's far from perfect. Early ish Peter Jackson directing Michael J Fox and lovely Trini Alvarado, New Zealand looking menacing, fantastic version of Don't Fear the Reaper at the end, oh and Jeffrey Combs is fantastically unhinged in it.

(I might have even mentioned this before, so apologies if I have but it merits more than one plug!)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Frighteners is on US netflix. It's one of my favourite films, even though it's far from perfect. Early ish Peter Jackson directing Michael J Fox and lovely Trini Alvarado, New Zealand looking menacing, fantastic version of Don't Fear the Reaper at the end, oh and Jeffrey Combs is fantastically unhinged in it.

(I might have even mentioned this before, so apologies if I have but it merits more than one plug!)

Great little movie, it starts off as a Ghostbusters type romp but gets pretty dark pretty quickly, especially in the final act. Decent effects too althought it's been a few years since I've seen it so have no idea how they hold up.

Season 2 of "Lillyhammer" is on flix tomorrow, whilst the first one wasn't up there with Mad Men, Breaking Bad or Sopranos etc, I still found it entertaining enough (for the first half of episodes anyway) and worth a 2nd season.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Season 2 of "Lillyhammer" is on flix tomorrow, whilst the first one wasn't up there with Mad Men, Breaking Bad or Sopranos etc, I still found it entertaining enough (for the first half of episodes anyway) and worth a 2nd season.

Yeah ,quirky and interesting ,well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

Reasons to watch Made in Dagenham (on Canadian Netflix)

* one of Bob Hoskins's last roles before having to declare his retirement due to Parkinson's. We're going to miss him, and this is a movie that shows why
    * Richard Schiff - not on our screens enough and too long since we've seen him in The West Wing
    * Speaking of WW - if Bartlet was "the anti-Bush", Miranda Richardson plays "the anti-Thatcher" to perfection
    * It's the latest in a fine tradition of British social films, from Noël Coward's This Happy Breed(1944) to the excellent Brassed Off(1996) (on US Netflix with the great Pete Postlethwaite on top form).

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

The brother from another planet is a wonderfully quirky piece of early 80's sci-fi. Worth checking out if that sort of thing floats your boat.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Watched Into the White on the American version. It's about a group of German and British pilots that crash in the middle of nowhere in Norway during world war 2 and are forced to work together to survive. Well worth a watch.

Watched Into the White on the American version. It's about a group of German and British pilots that crash in the middle of nowhere in Norway during world war 2 and are forced to work together to survive. Well worth a watch.

Yeah, quite good for a small little film that no ones heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

Just watched blackfish on us netflix... V good... Recommend it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

This thread is great, have watched such a variety of films because of it. Don't think I would have bothered with this film tbh but saw the recommendation. Glad I watched it, not a story I had heard of before, very well told.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement