Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Separate threads for film & TV
    Wishing that there was an option for splitting between movies and tv, would be handy. ended up watching the paperboy last night, not for everyone but I quite enjoyed it, especially the acting rather than the storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Does anyone else find it really annoying that they removed the "play from beginning" option? All I can do is resume playing something or rate it. It's a minor annoyance having to skip back to the beginning or the end to restart a film or show I might have left halfway through but still, weird that they removed it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The underrated 'Robot and Frank' has popped up on Netflix UK/IE. Didn't get much of a release over here but definitely worth a look.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    The underrated 'Robot and Frank' has popped up on Netflix UK/IE. Didn't get much of a release over here but definitely worth a look.

Yeah watched in the US one a while ago, really enjoyed it and deserved a much wider release.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I watched Robot & Frank after seeing it mentioned on here, thought it was very ordinary myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah I'm the same, thought it was very bland indeed. Pleasant enough, I suppose, but barring maybe Langella's performance nothing about it stood out one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Watched Insomnia last night, probably the one Christopher Nolan film I hadn't seen.

I think it has been up for quite a while on the Irish Netflix, but it was always one for some reason I would skip past.

Well recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

krudler wrote: »
    Does anyone else find it really annoying that they removed the "play from beginning" option? All I can do is resume playing something or rate it. It's a minor annoyance having to skip back to the beginning or the end to restart a film or show I might have left halfway through but still, weird that they removed it.

It was still there on the PS3 app last night. I accidentally clicked it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Someone recommended "the butler" on mexican netflix.
    wow i was blown away with how good it was. A fantastic cast too. It was way better than 12 years a slave I thought

Thanks op

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Beefy78 wrote: »
    It was still there on the PS3 app last night. I accidentally clicked it :mad:

Yup, never went for me as far as I can see.

Season 4 of Justified has now been added to the Irish Netflix as you will be aware if they send you emails.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

According to Moreflicks The Act of Killing is on US 'Flix now, will check when I get home to confirm.

Also spotted Neil Jordan's Byzantium on the Canadian one last night and the Jason Siegel Muppet film has been added to the Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Mickeroo wrote: »
    According to Moreflicks The Act of Killing is on US 'Flix now, will check when I get home to confirm.

Also spotted Neil Jordan's Byzantium on the Canadian one last night and the Jason Siegel Muppet film has been added to the Irish one.

Yup! just checked and The Act of Killing is on US Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Does Hulu Plus work over here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

vidor wrote: »
    Does Hulu Plus work over here?

The issue is signing up with US credit card with US address, once that's sorted I think you can get Hulu plus the same way you can access US Netflix, though I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

watched a good documentary on the Northern Ireland murals called "The art of conflict" on Irish netflix, it was very good. Narrated by Vince Vaughan

The issue is signing up with US credit card with US address, once that's sorted I think you can get Hulu plus the same way you can access US Netflix, though I'm open to correction.

Once you got a US credit card you're sorted. I've been using Hulu for awhile and it's great. The Criterion catalogue was my main reason for getting it but I've found it to be great for TV. Sure there's some short ads during the TV but many networks are staring to count in Hulu views as ratings and if my watching Community on Hulu helps it's chances of surviving I'll gladly sit through terrible UPS ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

You can purchase Hulu gift cards from Walmart.com, who email you the gift card code. As far as I know, Walmart accept international credit cards so theoretically it should be a way to pay for Hulu without the need for a US credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Dman001 wrote: »
    You can purchase Hulu gift cards from Walmart.com, who email you the gift card code. As far as I know, Walmart accept international credit cards so theoretically it should be a way to pay for Hulu without the need for a US credit card.

As far as I know you still have to have a working US credit card to set up an account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

ThirdMan wrote: »
    As far as I know you still have to have a working US credit card to set up an account.
    I did it with my aib visa debit card, had no problem setting it up at all. Canceled after a month though, as personally I prefer the selection of movies and shows on Netflix globally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Has anyone had any problems with subtitles on Netflix lately? Was watching Lillyhammer last night & the subtitles stopped working. So I tried a few foreign language films & they weren't working on them either. Very strange!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

PWEI wrote: »
    Has anyone had any problems with subtitles on Netflix lately? Was watching Lillyhammer last night & the subtitles stopped working. So I tried a few foreign language films & they weren't working on them either. Very strange!

yeah , every episode of the bridge series 1 would by default have no subtitles , had to keep turning them on before each episode

New Releases and Recently added tabs have disappeared on mine on the irish site at least, anyone else?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Had a few issues while watching through The Bridge alright (which is an absolutely fantastic watch, by the way), it seemed some dialogue was missing, which initially I just put down to bad subtitling. But then sometimes the subs would just disappear entirely until I quit and replayed once or twice. It must be an issue with Netflix's own subtitle code, as most foreign movies are usually hard-subbed.

Also, The Square - an acclaimed documentary about the recent civil unrest in Cairo - is up on the Irish (and US) catalogue now as a Netflix original. Really looking forward to watching it, and happy as it was due to be one of the films I'd miss due to conflicts at JDIFF ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭camz09

Was watching The West Wing and suddenly the subtitles are gone. Is it because I'm accessing the US Netflix or is there currently technical error? The Irish Netflix subtitles seem to be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

check out the documentary 'Bronies'. it's about the phenomenon of grown men seriously addicted to My Little Pony! it was so bizarre, fascinating and amusing to watch how these men have become addicted to the show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

bada_bing wrote: »
    check out the documentary 'Bronies'. it's about the phenomenon of grown men seriously addicted to My Little Pony! it was so bizarre, fascinating and amusing to watch how these men have become addicted to the show.

Thats hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

Mickeroo wrote: »
    New Releases and Recently added tabs have disappeared on mine on the irish site at least, anyone else?

I think New Releases is gone, but Recently Added is still there (on the iPad app at any rate). It'll probably end up doing the job of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

PWEI wrote: »

Tried to watch The Hunt on the US netflix and there were no subtitles, There must be something wrong.

Been watching Spiral the last few nights (well worth a look btw) and there definitely seems to be subtitles missing here and there.

• Advertisement

The subtitle issue has been popping up for the last while. Best thing to do is exit out of the film or show and then just resume playing. The problem started when A Hijacking was added up a few months back and then taking down. From then on I found subtitles could be a little odd. I emailed Netflix about the issue and they replied to say that they were aware if the issue and working to resolve it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement