Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭da_hambo

Just watched 'Emperor' on Canadian 'flix. I enjoyed it. Its set in the weeks and months post Japan's surrender in WW2. Mainly Lost's Mathew Fox with Tommy Lee Jones as General MacArthur.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Separate threads for film & TV
    http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/films/the-best-films-you-havent-seen-on-netflix

disappointingly I've seen 8 of the 10 best movies on netflix you haven't seen

any other under the radar recommendations folks

donfers wrote: »
    http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/films/the-best-films-you-havent-seen-on-netflix

I've seen all 10 and would hardly call any of those that obscure.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Whore's Glory (Netflix US)

A documentary/film focusing on prostitution in three countries; Thailand, India, and Mexico.

It doesn't talk about whether it's moral etc. The camera just follows the separate groups around in their day to day lives. There are some scenes are just downright depressing.

Very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

donfers wrote: »

I've only seen half of those myself. I'll put the ones I haven't seen onto the Watch List.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Does anyone know if the second season of The Bridge will be coming to Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭boccy23

Season 2 of "Lillyhammer" is on flix tomorrow, whilst the first one wasn't up there with Mad Men, Breaking Bad or Sopranos etc, I still found it entertaining enough (for the first half of episodes anyway) and worth a 2nd season.

I was very unimpressed with Lillyhammer. I thought Steve Van Zandt struggled as the lead. I thought some of the storylines were fanciful. And the you talk Norwegian, I talk English was really annoying when the novelty wore off.

Not a patch on House of Cards or Orange is the New Black and surprised there was a second season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Hi all,
    There was a German movie mentioned on this. Can't remember the name of it - was on Irish Netflix. Was a revenge movie as far as I remember.

Anybody know the movie I'm thinking about?? :) could have sworn I had added to my list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

boccy23 wrote: »
    I was very unimpressed with Lillyhammer. I thought Steve Van Zandt struggled as the lead. I thought some of the storylines were fanciful. And the you talk Norwegian, I talk English was really annoying when the novelty wore off.

Not a patch on House of Cards or Orange is the New Black and surprised there was a second season.

I really enjoyed the 2nd season, its a light bit of fluff that doesn't take its self too seriously. Far better than the first season. Normally not a fan of stuff like this but it really grew on me .Good to watch something that's just supposed to be a bit fun every now and then. Thought Orange is the New Black was awful hipster pretentious ****. Kept meaning to look at Weeds for ages , but after having the misfortune of seeing a few episodes of it, I doubt I'd even bother with Weeds if you like Zoey Descgahnaallelellllllll and Michael "The Beast " Cera, you'd probably like OITNB, but just wasn't my cup of tea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Does anyone know if the second season of The Bridge will be coming to Netflix?

It will probably be a while, maybe a few months. They're doing a big push on the DVD and Blu-Ray if the shops in Dublin are anything to go by, so the distributor isn't going to cut into that market immediately. BBC probably have some extended first run rights to it. I know Forbrydelsen 3 has yet to pop up on Netflix, for example. You never know one way or the other, but I'd be surprised if it's within the next 6 months.

On a related note, the second season of The Bridge is probably the best television I've watched in a few years :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    There was a German movie mentioned on this. Can't remember the name of it - was on Irish Netflix. Was a revenge movie as far as I remember.

Anybody know the movie I'm thinking about?? :) could have sworn I had added to my list!

Revanche maybe? It's Austrian not German though, not sure if its on netflix or not either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Revanche maybe? It's Austrian not German though, not sure if its on netflix or not either.

No that's not it - defo German - may not have been a revenge movie - but was nearly 3 hours long

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I really enjoyed the 2nd season, its a light bit of fluff that doesn't take its self too seriously. Far better than the first season. Normally not a fan of stuff like this but it really grew on me .Good to watch something that's just supposed to be a bit fun every now and then. Thought Orange is the New Black was awful hipster pretentious ****. Kept meaning to look at Weeds for ages , but after having the misfortune of seeing a few episodes of it, I doubt I'd even bother with Weeds if you like Zoey Descgahnaallelellllllll and Michael "The Beast " Cera, you'd probably like OITNB, but just wasn't my cup of tea.

What on earth are you on about? I enjoyed it anyway, but then, I did watch it on my Macbook Air in 3FE. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

...Kept meaning to look at Weeds for ages , but after having the misfortune of seeing a few episodes of it, I doubt I'd even bother with Weeds...
    To be fair to Weeds the first two or three seasons are very good but it does go downhill a lot once they leave Agrestic. I keep meaning to get around to watching the second half of the last season but it had gotten to the point where I just really didn't care anymore so thus far I haven't bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Thought Orange is the New Black was awful hipster pretentious ****

So far off the mark it's funny. How many episodes did you watch?

I loved it and can't wait for the next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Synode wrote: »
    So far off the mark it's funny. How many episodes did you watch?

I loved it and can't wait for the next season.

Lol, I've really been taken up wrong on this one, failed attempt at sarcasm. I only saw about 5 minutes of it, keep meaning to go back and watch it but get distracted by other shows on the list, like continuum and the Bridge.I was actually semi quoting some one I know , but leaving out the homophobic remarks.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I don't know about anyone else but the New Releases and Recently added tabs disappeared from my Netflix a few weeks ago, but if anyone else is having the same problem these links might be of use.

This site updates as new titles are added to the UK/Ireland catalogs: http://www.flixfilm.co.uk/

You can also find them on the netflix site too: http://movies2.netflix.com/NewReleases

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Before Midnight one of the films of last year is in Canada now.

Pain & Gain also there now.

Watched one tonight called The History of Future Folk. It's about an alien who is sent to destroy the human race but changes his mind when he hears music for the first time, him and another alien form a bluegrass band instead. No, really!

It's pretty low budget and it's daft as a brush, but it's very funny and the music is brilliant. The band in the movie are actually a real life band, apparently the directors liked their act and decided to make a film out of it.

US and Canadian netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ralphh

Is anyone else as excited as I am about House of Cards season 2?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

ralphh wrote: »
    Is anyone else as excited as I am about House of Cards season 2?!

Only finished season 1 yesterday, took a while to get going but got very good in the last 5 episodes or so. Looking forward to next season now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hmnn tried accessing Netflix US last night via Chrome and Hola but it's telling me it's not available in my country but when I switch back to Ireland it's fine.

Anyone else having trouble accessing the US Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Watched Transsiberian on the Irish netflix and enjoyed it, pretty good cast in it, never even hear of it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

No sign of the act of Killing on netflix for me, has it been removed? Checked US, Canada and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

It's still on the U.S. one

ShaneU wrote: »

Not coming up for me, very strange.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

What way are you watching Netflix? If I'm watching on my phone or iPad using a VPN sometimes I need to close the app completely from the home screen before switching the VPN on, otherwise I still end up on the Irish Netflix.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement